Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Learning Portuguese

Learning Portuguese

Old Dec 30th 2020, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning Portuguese

In language learning and teaching I have found TV programmes made for young children are very useful. Simple ideas expressed in basic language.
Old Dec 31st 2020, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scot47
In language learning and teaching I have found TV programmes made for young children are very useful. Simple ideas expressed in basic language.
I think I'd like to use that alongside structured learning.

This is very good so far. Thorough explanations with lots of exercises with listening and speaking opportunities. There is a mic that records you speaking, my best was 43%, that's about right. I've done something to the mic now and it's not recording my voice.
Old Jan 9th 2021, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Understanding Portuguese people speak is going to be difficult, they don't seem to bother with vowels!!!
Old Jan 9th 2021, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you lookea language exchange like Tandem? You create a profile to contact a Portuguese English language learner who is at a similar level.
Old Jan 9th 2021, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by philat98
Have you lookea language exchange like Tandem? You create a profile to contact a Portuguese English language learner who is at a similar level.
No, that sounds good. The only problem is, I can barely speak Portuguese and if the other person can barely speak English, how will it work?
Old Jan 9th 2021, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bons
No, that sounds good. The only problem is, I can barely speak Portuguese and if the other person can barely speak English, how will it work?
You could always try it. Probably it is difficult finding a good partner. In my experience things like Duolingo are good for buying train tickets and booking hotel rooms but not too good for communicating with the locals.
Old Jan 9th 2021, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

You could always try it. Probably it is difficult finding a good partner. In my experience things like Duolingo are good for buying train tickets and booking hotel rooms but not too good for communicating with the locals.
It's definately worth a try and I'm going to register. It could be difficult when we won't be able to help each other out with problems. Duolingo is no good for listening to the accent as it's totally different. I actually like this programme better.
Old Jan 9th 2021, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

I worked with a Spaniard who could speak Italian, Dutch and English. He said that Portuguese was a bit tricky!
Old Jan 9th 2021, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

I worked with a Spaniard who could speak Italian, Dutch and English. He said that Portuguese was a bit tricky!
I find Portuguese far harder than French or Spanish.
Old Jan 9th 2021, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Fluffyhead has a spectacular aura aboutFluffyhead has a spectacular aura aboutFluffyhead has a spectacular aura about

When we came 12 years ago my local camara had free classes to learn Portuguese and we went for several years. I understood that the EU had said countries should supply this and 1 year we even got paid a small sum by the EU to go! They haven't been held in my area for a while now. Does anyone know if Portugal is still supposed to be providing lessons?
Old Jan 9th 2021, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fluffyhead
When we came 12 years ago my local camara had free classes to learn Portuguese and we went for several years. I understood that the EU had said countries should supply this and 1 year we even got paid a small sum by the EU to go! They haven't been held in my area for a while now. Does anyone know if Portugal is still supposed to be providing lessons?
I would think that Covid has put paid to any of that for now.
Old Jan 9th 2021, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fluffyhead
Yes, they are supposed to be as part of a scheme to encourage immigrants of all types to integrate better ... there is supposedly a course at our local Polytechnic but since it was shut til november because of the Covid, I don't know if the course ran this year or not - I doubt it ... Next session would now be due to start September 2021 though I think the bumf I looked at early in 2020 before the Pest hit us all, said you could join at any time though i don't know how that would work to try to merge in when everyone else has been doing it for months and you turn up later.
Old Jan 10th 2021, 6:53 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bons
You'd probably be OK - the Portuguese communicate mainly with the hands.
Old Jan 10th 2021, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

or shout and dont let you finish a sentence and just carry on talking for ever and ever and ever, and then they ask themselves another question (and why)
Old Jan 10th 2021, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

Portuguese IS a bit tricky...(and my PT OH agrees) They have numerous words all meaning the same. For example, recently I have noticed on the TV that they use the word "altura" for "time" to mean (maybe not this) time. Always thought "altura" meant height. In English time is just... time! Another thing I find is that some words are a bit illogical/confusing . Eg the verb "subir" means to rise(numbers rising etc) Anything with "sub" in it must surely be under or below ... submarine, subterranean, so lower. What a confusing language.... AND they speak too fast!!!! I cheat a bit cos I use a hearing aid in one ear and I'll point to it, shake my head and hope they speak slower.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.