Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Learning Portuguese

Learning Portuguese

Old Feb 5th 2021, 1:43 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning Portuguese

That's the ticket - think positive.

And if you start flagging, have a listen to some Welsh and thank your lucky stars you're not having to get to grips with that.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Red Eric

And if you start flagging, have a listen to some Welsh and thank your lucky stars you're not having to get to grips with that.
Ha, I did learn a few words once, only a few.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

all you need are the words.......................learn at least 20 a day. without them you have nothing to work with at all
Old Feb 5th 2021, 2:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

And if you are still in doubt listen / look at some Hungarian!
Old Feb 5th 2021, 3:27 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
I raise you Irish.... - and you can choose the dialect.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 3:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
I raise you Irish.... - and you can choose the dialect.

The recently retired Ambassador here (who is a bit of a language buff) reckoned that Hungarian was harder than Japanese, how does Irish (Gaelic?) rate against Japanese?
Old Feb 5th 2021, 4:02 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

The recently retired Ambassador here (who is a bit of a language buff) reckoned that Hungarian was harder than Japanese, how does Irish (Gaelic?) rate against Japanese?
I can't compare the two, but people schooled in Ireland spend 13 years learning the language and very, very few can speak it at the end. That's without taking on the dialects - where not only the pronunciation and the vocabulary, but even the grammar can change.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 7:56 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I wasn't actually trying to identify the hardest language to learn in the entire world.

There are plenty harder for a native English speaker than either the celtic languages or the eastern European.

Kudos to you for grappling with Hungarian, though
Old Feb 5th 2021, 10:48 pm
Account Closed

Yes, I wasn't actually trying to identify the hardest language to learn in the entire world.

There are plenty harder for a native English speaker than either the celtic languages or the eastern European.

Kudos to you for grappling with Hungarian, though
You're right, English tends to be quite tricky for most native English speakers!

Innit?
Old Feb 6th 2021, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

I find the Linguee site good for pronunciation modelling, either Euro or Brazilian Portuguese.
The 10 or 20 words a days is good idea too. I find similarities with many words to the Italian I picked up. Sometimes minimal, but every little helps. Grammar too.
Old Feb 6th 2021, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

You're right, English tends to be quite tricky for most native English speakers!

Innit?
Exactly - and Whasswnt - What does he/you/she want?
But there again what is this? Bife accent - a portuguese speaking steak?

I am with Bons on this though - reading is fine especially if you have a bit of French, Spanish, Latin, to back you up. But listening to ordinary Portuguese as it is "spoke" - well... My best experience so far has been hanging on the phone to DHL when a parcel went missing and having to hear the repeated introductory blurb - after about the 20th time I could finally pick out all the words and spot the missing bits. If they would just pronounce all of the words, even with accent, the emphasis in strange places, it would be SOOOO much easier. pfFavor - the por becomes an accidental pf leading into the FAVOR and even there the A shrinks to nothing, and as for Se Faz Favor as "sashfvr " .... And simple things like a common surname Comacho becomes CmAch ... Verbal Spanish is so much easier to follow and that has its moments!
Old Feb 6th 2021, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ricko
I recently tried the Pimsleur course and thought it excellent for beginners.
Unfortunately there are a limited number lessons and so it doesn't take you very far.
I also found the BBC website ( BBC - Languages - Portuguese - Talk Portuguese - A video introduction to Portuguese ) and the BBC Talk Portuguese course very useful.
Pimsleur - David Sedaris's preferred language courses. I remember him recounting some of the expressions it taught in beginners Japanese- most amusing. Maybe Portuguese is different.
Old Feb 6th 2021, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

I've realised what the biggest problem for me is learning Portuguese, when I'm speaking a language I visualise the word in my head, I often can't do this with Portuguese. The pronunciation of a letter often changes with the spelling for example, maca and macas, the 'c' sound changes for the plural, at least it does on the recording that I'm listening to, so I don't have the'ss' sound I'm replacing it with a 'z' so I don't 'see' the word. Estou, is pronounced 'shtow', I had no chance in learning that at first, as it's a commonly used word I have got used to it, but it's trickier with less often used words. If that makes any sense, it does to me.
Old Feb 6th 2021, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by macliam
That's not my experience.... I find people as loathe to speak English as some English-speakers are to speak Portuguese! Of course, having kissed the Blarney Stone (for real), nothing will get in the way of me communicating!!
Maybe depends where you are? That certainly seems to be the case in the Algarve, but then I guess most people here (esp the young) speak some English and are used to doing so with foreigners.
Old Feb 6th 2021, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Out of curiosity I've just downloaded the Pimsleur. The first ten units are in Continental (as they refer to European) Portuguese. The presentation and structure is interesting. I'll give it a shot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.