Reload this Page >

Learning Portuguese

Learning Portuguese

Old Feb 4th 2021, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Learning Portuguese

Originally Posted by riv
YES ! O senhor and A senhora are definitely still in use and should be used to address anyone with whom you are not on friendly / first name terms. They take the third person of the verb, not the second.

So for example ' A senhora fala inglês , se faz favor ? ' .

Você is much less formal and should be used only if your interlocutor starts using it to you. This is how I understand it anyway.

Brazilian Portuguese has different usages - they use Você a lot more, including INformally, to friends. But I wouldn't go down that route within Portugal. Just be aware of it if you watch films subtitled in Brazilian. ( Which is most films on netflix for example ).
I know, it's the thrid person conjugation, but I have to remember that it is essentially second person but not to conjugate as Tu.
Old Feb 4th 2021, 11:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Life would be easier if everyone was taught Latin in school ! The study of Latin was for me the best preparation for my life as a linguist, learner and teacher of Language and Languages ! "Loquisne linguam latinam ?"

Lesson 1 - Introduction to verbs - Latin (nationalarchives.gov.uk)
Old Feb 4th 2021, 11:46 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bons
Lol, I'm sure you're not! It just that I've never encountered anything like the O senhor, A senhora rule and it's totally knocked me off kilter with the language. Basically I have to just remember that it's second person singular, but formal. Maybe just use the conjucation rather than the subject.
I find this odd.... as it exists as the formal form of address.in English - "Would Madam care to wait here", "Would Sir please follow me".
Old Feb 4th 2021, 11:51 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
YES ! O senhor and A senhora are definitely still in use and should be used to address anyone with whom you are not on friendly / first name terms. They take the third person of the verb, not the second.

So for example ' A senhora fala inglês , se faz favor ? ' .

Você is much less formal and should be used only if your interlocutor starts using it to you. This is how I understand it anyway.

Brazilian Portuguese has different usages - they use Você a lot more, including INformally, to friends. But I wouldn't go down that route within Portugal. Just be aware of it if you watch films subtitled in Brazilian. ( Which is most films on netflix for example ).
Early doors, I felt uncomfortable using "tu" with my BiL, so I used você.

Big mistake, as his response was a fairly terse "Es brasilero, o que?!!"

Brazilian portuguese has all the similarities of US English in the UK, but with the attitude that they know better......
Old Feb 4th 2021, 11:59 pm
Resident Cynic

To you clever people who can understand and speak Portuguese well, do you often say or hear, O senhor and A senhora for the formal 'you'.
One other "quirk" is the use of the third person with your name.... as in "será que o Carlos quer um bolo?".... would Charles like a cake? My SiL uses this form with me - again it is the polite form of address.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by macliam
One other "quirk" is the use of the third person with your name.... as in "será que o Carlos quer um bolo?".... would Charles like a cake? My SiL uses this form with me - again it is the polite form of address.
Now you're being waaay too clever using the future tense or conditional future or whatever it is. I'm struggling with plurals. I'm barely on the present tense.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

Lol, I'm sure you're not! It just that I've never encountered anything like the O senhor, A senhora rule and it's totally knocked me off kilter with the language. Basically I have to just remember that it's second person singular, but formal. Maybe just use the conjucation rather than the subject.
Yes, not a problem, surely? You just use the third person instead of the second. Same in Italian, Spanish and almost every other Romance language, no?

The "O Carlos quer..." thing is uniquely Portuguese, though, as far as I know.

Last edited by suiko; Feb 5th 2021 at 11:11 am.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 9:50 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suiko
Yes, not a problem, surely? You just use the third person instead of the second. Same in Italian, Spanish and almost every other Romace language, no?

The "O Carlos quer..." thing is uniquely Portuguese, though, as far as I know.
When I learned French and German at school, the second person singular form was barely covered, except when reciting conjugations parrot-fashion. I had to check all the time when writing to penfriends....
In the same vein, unless they're married to a "native" and will usually use the second person singular when talking to their in-laws, newcomers learning the language aren't likely to use this form when trying it out on the locals. Master the polite form first, and then the familiar after you've made friends (and I found that the initiative to say tu/du came from them...)
HTH
Old Feb 5th 2021, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Midgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond repute

Also, remember to not worry too much about grammar or you will never learn to speak if you get too scared of making mistakes

I was warned about my MiL's sharp tongue before our first meeting so I purposely treated her as tu (sharp intakes of breath all around at that there was I can tell you) knowing that I could get away with it as a foreigner (that is always good to remember too). She liked me from the start, so that didnt do me any harm

Just trying to say, good to learn correctly but be careful you dont get all tied up - just get out there and make a fool of yourself - its fun.

the hardest thing for me as an Eng/scientist was dropping my 'need to learn every detail exactly' attitude for a 'learn thru 'absorption' approach - you dont have time to picture the neat tables when you are talking

I can talk 'fluently' (what does that mean? The bar keeps moving up as you learn more, never satisfied) but my grammar is rubbish

I have a very strong Bife accent - but I dont want to loose it (I admire my French friends with perfect English and so strong accents,) and my wife thinks it is sweet.

With my German ex FiL he said, after a few beers, 'we should 'dutzen' now'. I thought he meant move onto a new beer called Dutz or something, not start to use Du. He laughed so hard when I asked him about what this beer was like. And even more when he realised I was being serious

Old Feb 5th 2021, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Midgo
Also, remember to not worry too much about grammar or you will never learn to speak if you get too scared of making mistakes

I was warned about my MiL's sharp tongue before our first meeting so I purposely treated her as tu (sharp intakes of breath all around at that there was I can tell you) knowing that I could get away with it as a foreigner (that is always good to remember too). She liked me from the start, so that didnt do me any harm

Just trying to say, good to learn correctly but be careful you dont get all tied up - just get out there and make a fool of yourself - its fun.

the hardest thing for me as an Eng/scientist was dropping my 'need to learn every detail exactly' attitude for a 'learn thru 'absorption' approach - you dont have time to picture the neat tables when you are talking

I can talk 'fluently' (what does that mean? The bar keeps moving up as you learn more, never satisfied) but my grammar is rubbish

I have a very strong Bife accent - but I dont want to loose it (I admire my French friends with perfect English and so strong accents,) and my wife thinks it is sweet.

With my German ex FiL he said, after a few beers, 'we should 'dutzen' now'. I thought he meant move onto a new beer called Dutz or something, not start to use Du. He laughed so hard when I asked him about what this beer was like. And even more when he realised I was being serious
You are right to a point, but it might be easier later on if I learn grammar now. I'm following this programme which is great lots of speaking and listening with some spelling. I'm ignoring accents on words, but I wonder if I should try harder to learn them. Anyway, I'll keep on keeping on. It's more difficult from here when I can't go out and speak, I mean, muddle through the language with native speakers. I have always found when trying to speak a language that the native speakers appreciate you trying even if they have to revert to speaking English to you than just assuming they speak English.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

In Portugal "muddling through the language with native speakers" generally means you saying something, them replying, you not understanding and them saying it again in English It's MUCH harder to get the practice than in Spain, for example.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 12:53 pm
Resident Cynic

You are right to a point, but it might be easier later on if I learn grammar now. I'm following this programme which is great lots of speaking and listening with some spelling. I'm ignoring accents on words, but I wonder if I should try harder to learn them. Anyway, I'll keep on keeping on. It's more difficult from here when I can't go out and speak, I mean, muddle through the language with native speakers. I have always found when trying to speak a language that the native speakers appreciate you trying even if they have to revert to speaking English to you than just assuming they speak English.
I think the point Midgo is making is that over-concentration on grammar is one of the factors that prevents you from actually using the language - and I agree, although I have the avantage of Latin, French and Spanish at school and we both have Poruguese partners/extended family...... so that helps.

What I don't understand is people suggeting that Portuguese is particularly "difficult" or about "dialects", etc.. The pronunciation of Portuguese is an issue for those who find the nasals, etc. difficult, but the gramatical rules are quite straightforward - and I find Portuguese easier than "Spanish" as the rhythm of speech is similar to English. As for "dialects", I find Portuguese to be relatively uniform, allowing for regional accents and preferred usage (and I live in the Alentejo!) - "Spanish" is far more fractured in this respect, for example, the Andalucian usage is not a dialect, but is very different to classic Castillian..... not to mention the real "dialects" like Leonese or Aragonese, or the different languages like Basque, Catalonian or Galician.

I know people who have been doing "lessons" in Portuguese for years, yet who still cannot really speak the language - or people like me (and Midgo) who jump in with both feet, despite not being sure of the grammar. Occasionally I get the wrong end of the stick (or give it), but the only thing that gets me is when people comment to SWMBO about how well I speak...... a bit like the old Monty Python "Minister for Overseas Development" sketch!!
In Portugal "muddling through the language with native speakers" generally means you saying something, them replying, you not understanding and them saying it again in English It's MUCH harder to get the practice than in Spain, for example.
That's not my experience.... I find people as loathe to speak English as some English-speakers are to speak Portuguese! Of course, having kissed the Blarney Stone (for real), nothing will get in the way of me communicating!!

Last edited by macliam; Feb 5th 2021 at 12:58 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 1:27 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
I like the way the President refers to himself as "O Presidente da República" as opposed to "I" when he's asked for his opinion on something.

I think he's a bit remiss in omitting to preface it with "Sua Excelência" though.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

I was taught French and a bit of German at school and I taught myself a bit of Spanish, none were as hard is Portuguese for just grasping the basics. The pronunciation is hard. This was my last sentence - Quantos cães tem? All I could hear was 'quanshcashty'. Reading it I could understand it easily. I'll have to travel Portugal with a pen and pad!! I'm not giving up, if the Portuguese can understand it and non-natives can learn it, then so can I!!!

Last edited by bons; Feb 5th 2021 at 1:44 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well, the object of the exercise is to be able to understand them when they reply so we can carry on in Portuguese a bit longer. I'm not close to that yet though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.