Land in portugal

Old Jan 27th 2023, 6:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Land in portugal

Originally Posted by Gimpchop
Can anyone tell me the rules around constructing a non permanent structure that don't require permanent foundations? Are they legal? Do you require planing for such a structure? Does it depend on what type of land it's on?
I think this was shared before and although Silves, it will explain what you are trying to do
https://www.theportugalnews.com/news...al-legal/50993

Attitudes of commercial operators selling these solutions, where they are indicating at the time of purchase that they do not require licensing, or the practice carried out by some real estate agencies, which consists in advertising the sale of rustic buildings with the mention of the possibility of the installation of buildings of these typologies, once again without the need for proper licenses, are common practices.“This results in the misleading of property buyers who believe they are able to build on this land. The consequence is that property owners can be punished for unlawful conduct and in some cases this could result in demolition or removal orders. It is therefore, important to reiterate the fundamental points of these laws,” said the communication from the council.

In short, Silves council highlights that all buildings of this type, provided that they are intended for human use and are considered to be permanent “shall be deemed to be an urban development subject to licensing “. The note added that even removable buildings and caravans are also subject to this law if they have any permanent foundations or a concrete base.

“In addition, even in the case of mobile homes, caravans or camper vans, which do not remain in the same place over time, they are nevertheless subject to prior municipal licensing”.
Old Jan 27th 2023, 8:19 am
Just Joined

Gimpchop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I think this was shared before and although Silves, it will explain what you are trying to do
https://www.theportugalnews.com/news...al-legal/50993

Attitudes of commercial operators selling these solutions, where they are indicating at the time of purchase that they do not require licensing, or the practice carried out by some real estate agencies, which consists in advertising the sale of rustic buildings with the mention of the possibility of the installation of buildings of these typologies, once again without the need for proper licenses, are common practices.“This results in the misleading of property buyers who believe they are able to build on this land. The consequence is that property owners can be punished for unlawful conduct and in some cases this could result in demolition or removal orders. It is therefore, important to reiterate the fundamental points of these laws,” said the communication from the council.

In short, Silves council highlights that all buildings of this type, provided that they are intended for human use and are considered to be permanent “shall be deemed to be an urban development subject to licensing “. The note added that even removable buildings and caravans are also subject to this law if they have any permanent foundations or a concrete base.

“In addition, even in the case of mobile homes, caravans or camper vans, which do not remain in the same place over time, they are nevertheless subject to prior municipal licensing”.
Thankyou that's what I needed to know. I take it the chance of obtaining a licence for such a structure is slim to no chance?
Old Jan 27th 2023, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gimpchop
Thankyou that's what I needed to know. I take it the chance of obtaining a licence for such a structure is slim to no chance?
It will always depend what type of structure you are looking at. Prefabricated buildings, timber houses etc. can get a licence if they meet the requirements set by the local council.
We ended up building in Spain instead, it's no different and in our case you can go on the local Geoportal and download the information for the area you are looking at. Here you can find documents related to planning laws (height, m2 max/min etc.)

Here the same or similar for Aveiro
Município de Aveiro

Of course and if you just plan to live in a shed or tiny home, the chances are 0.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jan 27th 2023 at 8:55 am.
Old Jan 27th 2023, 9:49 am
Just Joined

Unhappy Re: Land in portugal

Originally Posted by Moses2013
It will always depend what type of structure you are looking at. Prefabricated buildings, timber houses etc. can get a licence if they meet the requirements set by the local council.
We ended up building in Spain instead, it's no different and in our case you can go on the local Geoportal and download the information for the area you are looking at. Here you can find documents related to planning laws (height, m2 max/min etc.)

Here the same or similar for Aveiro
Município de Aveiro

Of course and if you just plan to live in a shed or tiny home, the chances are 0.
Great thankyou. I will look it up.
Old Jan 27th 2023, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to do it proper and legal, don't waste your time, energy, and money; just buy a house or apartment that is already classified as a legal dwelling with power and water connected.
All this about getting permissions is fantasy, unless you go for a full "project" with an architect and a builder; that will cost you more and take away years of your life before you set foot through a door.

Remember when you buy property (anywhere) the legality is worth more than the bricks.

It is not legal to live in a structure in Portugal unless it has a habitation license; and as far as I know, only permeant structures with planning permission (or old structures from before the law) have that.
Old Jan 27th 2023, 10:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by liveaboard
If you want to do it proper and legal, don't waste your time, energy, and money; just buy a house or apartment that is already classified as a legal dwelling with power and water connected.
All this about getting permissions is fantasy, unless you go for a full "project" with an architect and a builder; that will cost you more and take away years of your life before you set foot through a door.

Remember when you buy property (anywhere) the legality is worth more than the bricks.

It is not legal to live in a structure in Portugal unless it has a habitation license; and as far as I know, only permeant structures with planning permission (or old structures from before the law) have that.
Ok thanks.
Old Jan 27th 2023, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by liveaboard

You are right and building is very expensive right now. Land prices are up, building costs/materials are up and everyone wants to make more money.
Old Jan 27th 2023, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

atlasthemonk is an unknown quantity at this point

There are national laws and local interpretations. Can I ask which region of Portugal you are wanting to live in ?
Old Jan 27th 2023, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by atlasthemonk
There are national laws and local interpretations. Can I ask which region of Portugal you are wanting to live in ?
We have mainly looking in castelo branco.
Old Jan 28th 2023, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

You could take a look at these sites as an alternative solution........

Relocate to rural PortugalIn 2020, Portugal launched a rural grant scheme called Empre Interior MAIS (Inland Employment PLUS).Workers moving to rural areas can apply for up to €4,827 funding. In most Portuguese villages, this would be enough to cover the annual rent on a small house, says the Financial Times. Applicants need to stay for at least a year. https://eportugal.gov.pt/pt/noticias...erior-mais(use deepl for translation).This one is more up to date I think.

https://www.idealista.pt/en/news/lif...the-portuguese

Last edited by toots sweet; Jan 28th 2023 at 8:35 am.
Old Jan 28th 2023, 8:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by toots sweet
You could take a look at these sites as an alternative solution........

https://www.idealista.pt/en/news/lif...the-portuguese

Relocate to rural PortugalIn 2020, Portugal launched a rural grant scheme called Emprego Interior MAIS (Inland Employment PLUS).Workers moving to rural areas can apply for up to €4,827 funding. In most Portuguese villages, this would be enough to cover the annual rent on a small house, says the Financial Times. Applicants need to stay for at least a year. https://eportugal.gov.pt/pt/noticias...erior-mais(use deepl for translation).This one is more up to date I think.

Great thanks for the info I'll take a look.