British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Land in portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/land-portugal-946879/)

Gimpchop Jan 25th 2023 12:38 pm

Land in portugal

Hi I’m looking to buy some land in Portugal. I’ve not found any land yet and have identified some must haves I.e water source good access. I plan on putting a wooden cabin on the site and have solar panels. My main question is what rules and regulations will I need to consider putting a wooden cabin/structure on the site and living in it? I know it’s a very general question and I’m not expecting detailed answers. Just the pitfalls of doing it this way and if it’s viable thanks.

macliam Jan 25th 2023 12:47 pm

Re: Land in portugal

Originally Posted by Gimpchop (Post 13168142)
Hi I’m looking to buy some land in Portugal. I’ve not found any land yet and have identified some must haves I.e water source good access. I plan on putting a wooden cabin on the site and have solar panels. My main question is what rules and regulations will I need to consider putting a wooden cabin/structure on the site and living in it? I know it’s a very general question and I’m not expecting detailed answers. Just the pitfalls of doing it this way and if it’s viable thanks.

Portugal has planning rules like the UK - do you think you could just rock up and build in the UK without permission?

Rambling archer Jan 25th 2023 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 13168150)
Portugal has planning rules like the UK - do you think you could just rock up and build in the UK without permission?

A bit harsh, MacLiam ... but it does point the OP in the direction of reality.
First thing to do is check the local regulations at the Camara (town hall) in the area you are considering. WHATEVER you want to do on land or property you are best to find out first what planning permission you need there - probably with the help of a reputable builder/log cabin provider and/or architect who knows the locality or a lawyer. Your Estate Agent can help in many respects, but do not trust them for a final word on - "yes of course you can do whatever you want so long as you buy it through me" - check with the Camara before you purchase. There are national rules and regulations but the local Camara also makes a lot of local decisions.

In general there are various classifications of "land" - built on and recognised as dwelling: : rural and for agricultural purposes only. within a planning zone that can be converted to "dwelling" (very rare): and others. And note that even a log cabin or a caravan or a static mobile home that you will be "dwelling" in must be approved - and of course as soon as you add water, sewer/septic-tank, power source, so that it is "dwellable", you need approval. Wells/bore holes have to be registered and approved. Water usage from streams, rivers etc is jealously restricted.

Bottom line is that it is probably not a viable plan, but you need to do lots of research first. Buying a ruin that has previously been inhabited and put a caravan on plot while you renovate, is probably more viable.

Gimpchop Jan 25th 2023 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 13168150)

Hi obviously not what I was planning. I was nearly enquiring to what regulations and pitfalls to consider when taking this approach. I don't think being rude was necessary.

Gimpchop Jan 25th 2023 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Rambling archer (Post 13168164)
A bit harsh, MacLiam ... but it does point the OP in the direction of reality.
First thing to do is check the local regulations at the Camara (town hall) in the area you are considering. WHATEVER you want to do on land or property you are best to find out first what planning permission you need there - probably with the help of a reputable builder/log cabin provider and/or architect who knows the locality or a lawyer. Your Estate Agent can help in many respects, but do not trust them for a final word on - "yes of course you can do whatever you want so long as you buy it through me" - check with the Camara before you purchase. There are national rules and regulations but the local Camara also makes a lot of local decisions.

In general there are various classifications of "land" - built on and recognised as dwelling: : rural and for agricultural purposes only. within a planning zone that can be converted to "dwelling" (very rare): and others. And note that even a log cabin or a caravan or a static mobile home that you will be "dwelling" in must be approved - and of course as soon as you add water, sewer/septic-tank, power source, so that it is "dwellable", you need approval. Wells/bore holes have to be registered and approved. Water usage from streams, rivers etc is jealously restricted.

Bottom line is that it is probably not a viable plan, but you need to do lots of research first. Buying a ruin that has previously been inhabited and put a caravan on plot while you renovate, is probably more viable.

Hi thankyou for the constructive answer I will go away and do more research on the best way to achieve my dream. I do want to keep most of the land as a farm of sorts to be as self sufficient as possible. Thanks again

Moses2013 Jan 25th 2023 2:07 pm

macliam is bang on and I would also stay away from any builder/log cabin provider until you have the regulations confirmed by the town hall. Be it UK or EU, it's all regulated and even the websites that advertise off grid living don't really help. In our case it's Spain, but there is a nearly new mobile home with paved driveway for sale, foundation, all connections and so on. When you read the fine print you are buying the land but not the buildings (that are illegal).

Gimpchop Jan 25th 2023 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 13168173)
macliam is bang on and I would also stay away from any builder/log cabin provider until you have the regulations confirmed by the town hall. Be it UK or EU, it's all regulated and even the websites that advertise off grid living don't really help. In our case it's Spain, but there is a nearly new mobile home with paved driveway for sale, foundation, all connections and so on. When you read the fine print you are buying the land but not the buildings (that are illegal).

Ok I will reassess my options. Don't wanna go breaking any laws before I even get there. Thanks

macliam Jan 25th 2023 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Gimpchop (Post 13168170)
Hi obviously not what I was planning. I was nearly enquiring to what regulations and pitfalls to consider when taking this approach. I don't think being rude was necessary.

If you think I was being "rude" then I suggest you stay well sheltered - I was pointing out the truth. If you took the time to read back through this forum you would find many, many people who seem to think that Portugal is the Wild West, whereas it actually has very strict national planning rules - which are often amplified by the local authority. Many Camaras push to have "traditional" architecture maintained and cabins are not part of that, equally, as has been pointed out, you will need access to water, to sewage disposal, to waste disposal, etc., etc. and would be expected to make a contribution to local services....... so you need to think how you would resolve all these issues and why the local council would think your plan is viable. As a definite tip, residency on agricultural land is illegal.

Gimpchop Jan 25th 2023 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 13168197)
If you think I was being "rude" then I suggest you stay well sheltered - I was pointing out the truth. If you took the time to read back through this forum you would find many, many people who seem to think that Portugal is the Wild West, whereas it actually has very strict national planning rules - which are often amplified by the local authority. Many Camaras push to have "traditional" architecture maintained and cabins are not part of that, equally, as has been pointed out, you will need access to water, to sewage disposal, to waste disposal, etc., etc. and would be expected to make a contribution to local services....... so you need to think how you would resolve all these issues and why the local council would think your plan is viable. As a definite tip, residency on agricultural land is illegal.

Ok I'll keep that in mind thanks.

Sunseeker1st Jan 25th 2023 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 13168197)
If you think I was being "rude" then I suggest you stay well sheltered - I was pointing out the truth. If you took the time to read back through this forum you would find many, many people who seem to think that Portugal is the Wild West, whereas it actually has very strict national planning rules - which are often amplified by the local authority. Many Camaras push to have "traditional" architecture maintained and cabins are not part of that, equally, as has been pointed out, you will need access to water, to sewage disposal, to waste disposal, etc., etc. and would be expected to make a contribution to local services....... so you need to think how you would resolve all these issues and why the local council would think :goodpost:l.

I am 100% with this.

wellinever Jan 26th 2023 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Sunseeker1st (Post 13168215)
I am 100% with this.

Yes, suggest you listen to what you have read on here. Never trust a seller or estate agent. You would be the one left with any problems and getting out of a mess in Portugal is both very time consuming (as in years) and also very expensive.......be warned.
The local Town Hall (Camara planning dept) is your ONLY friend

Gimpchop Jan 26th 2023 8:51 am

Ok thanks for the advice. I have seen some horror stories of people not do there due diligence and getting stung. I aware it's goi g to be a long road and learning curve. Any advice is appreciated as we are just starting our journey and want to make sure we do it properly.

peterfc Jan 26th 2023 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Gimpchop (Post 13168170)

No just an honest comment and a true comment.

liveaboard Jan 26th 2023 11:35 pm

I'm going to disagree with everyone;
Don't ask the camara, it's a waste of time; I don't understand why everyone keeps saying to do that, we can all tell you the answer, "No."
Even camaras that allow it will say no if you ask. DON'T ASK.

Look around for structures like you intend to build, and ask the occupants about it.
But be aware; allowed or not, it will never be legal, and you could get thrown out at any time.

I do agree that basically, it's not a good idea.

Gimpchop Jan 27th 2023 6:38 am

Can anyone tell me the rules around constructing a non permanent structure that don't require permanent foundations? Are they legal? Do you require planing for such a structure? Does it depend on what type of land it's on?