joining a club

Old Nov 18th 2018, 2:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default joining a club

Odd question here. We have been members of a club here in the Algarve for over 6 yrs. Every year they seem to ask for the membership fee a little bit earlier . ie we joined in late December . but were asked to renew our membership two weeks ago. This time there were a lot of 'extras' that we were asked to pay for to get the 'special' discount .We had a rather annoying incident last week. that has made us really re-think our choice of club. Problem is .Can we withdraw our membership and get our money back?
I seem to remember somewhere in the EU rules that you have so many days to think about a deal before it becomes impossible to go back on it. Is that true?
Old Nov 19th 2018, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: joining a club

Firstly ,what kind off Club ?
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ingles
Firstly ,what kind off Club ?

A golf club
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
A golf club
Well ole chap ,there's your problem !
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 7:48 pm
Living the Dream

westernliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ingles
Well ole chap ,there's your problem !
What's that meant to mean?
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I think he is questioning the wisdom of joining a golf club and perhaps of golf itself.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 8:15 pm
Living the Dream

westernliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
I think he is questioning the wisdom of joining a golf club and perhaps of golf itself.
Thanks, I'd already worked out the sarcasm in the comment, I was interested to know how it would help the original poster with their problem.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The answer to that question Westernliving is .it doesn't... Thanks for the sarcasm Ingles. It was a serious question as it does involve quite a large amount of money, which we now feel was obtained under false pretences. Never mind I will go find someone who actually knows what the facts are...
Old Nov 24th 2018, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

GenieB I think you're possibly referring to the cooling off period such as you get with an internet contract but I doubt it'll apply to something like a golf club where you've paid for an annual membership & then want your money back but the obvious answer is to consult a lawyer & possibly use the complaints book in the clubhouse.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 8:10 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

You seem a bit vague about whether the year you're paying for has started yet - can you establish that?

And why not ask the club if you can change your mind about renewing the membership and get a refund regardless (or have you already done that)?
Old Nov 24th 2018, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

The answer to that question Westernliving is .it doesn't... Thanks for the sarcasm Ingles. It was a serious question as it does involve quite a large amount of money, which we now feel was obtained under false pretences. Never mind I will go find someone who actually knows what the facts are...
Been there ,done it ,in UK back in the day !
They changed the rules to suit there selves & sod the members !
That's all I'm prepared to reply.

But If you supplied the facts i.e. "special discount" perhaps you would get some solid feed back !
And I am being sarcastic .

Last edited by Ingles; Nov 24th 2018 at 10:50 am.
Old Nov 25th 2018, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Red Eric
You seem a bit vague about whether the year you're paying for has started yet - can you establish that?

And why not ask the club if you can change your mind about renewing the membership and get a refund regardless (or have you already done that)?
I am being 'a bit vague' because I am not sure. myself Hence my general question about clubs. We joined over six years ago (I think in December, no record ) Since then we have been bombarded every year with all sorts of 'deals' ie If we join a little earlier this year we will get such and such discount It has resulted this year in our paying our fees almost a month earlier but with deals we don't want or will ever use .but yes a slightly cheaper general fee.
That however was followed by an unpleasant incident with a member of staff. It made us sit up and think How good is this deal really? snd what exactly do members get for their money? We can quite clearly see what the clubs get out of it. In a nutshell, We thought we were respected and valued for our year round loyalty . it appears not. We were just a source of ready money to see these clubs through the quiet months. With zero priority for being members . Quite a sobering. realisation .

I will of course go to the club ( as has been suggested ) I just wanted to avoid any more unpleasantness though, by knowing the facts . It's not exactly going to be a great conversation is it.

Sorry this simple question seems to have annoyed some... Thanks for taking the trouble to reply in any event,
Old Nov 25th 2018, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mfesharne
GenieB I think you're possibly referring to the cooling off period such as you get with an internet contract but I doubt it'll apply to something like a golf club where you've paid for an annual membership & then want your money back but the obvious answer is to consult a lawyer & possibly use the complaints book in the clubhouse.
Thats exactly what I was referring to mfesharne. Thank you. No complaints book at the club. We have already complained in writing to the director about this member of staff. Got a grovelling apology in reply and a vague assurance that he had apologised.. Not to us however. It has really spoilt it for us. We have always seemed to get on with this guy before,Maybe his 'zeal' in trying to teach us Portuguese had more behind it. ie that he really doesn't like foreigners. perhaps.?Brits in particular ? He was incredible rude to us.

The atmosphere is changing here as Brexit nears . There is no doubt about it. Yes I am linking it to that because I can see no other reason for this man to change his attitude so dramatically .
Old Nov 25th 2018, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

Where I play on the Algarve we are asked to renew before the end of December. If we do we get 10% reduction in the fee. It gives the business income during the quiet times till March
Old Nov 25th 2018, 2:14 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I will of course go to the club ( as has been suggested ) I just wanted to avoid any more unpleasantness though, by knowing the facts . It's not exactly going to be a great conversation is it.
I would have thought any such club might have a written set of club rules, which might cover the paying of annual membership fees and the circumstances under which refunds might be given, either provided to members on joining, or on display in the clubhouse. Possibly even available to members online, if the club has a website.

Might that be the case with your club, do you think and if so, might it be a possible way of forearming yourself with the necessary knowledge? Bit awkward if they're locked away in the Club President's drawer though, I suppose

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.