Wikiposts

Job Search in PT

Old Sep 8th 2008, 4:55 am
Just Joined

palmeiro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job Search in PT

I live in Canada and have found all of your comments and experiences very helpfull. Both my parents, born in PT moved to Canada and I was born here. I have traveled to PT a few times and have loved it. People usually tell me "nice to visit, but different to live there".

I've thought about relocating with my wife (Portuguese) and 2 kids, but am hesitant of wages, education, health care, etc. I'm trying to research it all, and have had some luck.

Has anyone had a similar experience they can share? I'm a professional accountant in Canada (CGA) and would like to continue my profession in PT if I move.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Nikki _ Sam has a brilliant futureNikki _ Sam has a brilliant futureNikki _ Sam has a brilliant futureNikki _ Sam has a brilliant futureNikki _ Sam has a brilliant futureNikki _ Sam has a brilliant futureNikki _ Sam has a brilliant future
Default Re: Job Search in PT

Hi, welcome to the forum. Only been here a few months myself and have not even looked for work but everyone I've talked to is of the same opinion that unless you speak the lingo then work is nigh-on impossible to find. Could try working for the ex-pats that have found work but they might be hard to find too! One thing I have learned is that if you add to a post on this site it puts that post back to the top of the list. Good luck mate!
Old Sep 8th 2008, 7:13 am
Just Joined

I can speak enough to have a conversation, and am trying to self-teach as best I can by reading PT web-sites. What I've heard is once you're there, you learn faster I guess because you're emersed in the language.

As for employment, I've made contact with some accounting recruiters in PT. Seems most jobs are in Lisbon, but I would prefer Algarve. Work, I could probably find, but my guess is salary would be less than Canada. But the whole reason for going would be for better quality of life and a safe place for my kids to grow and get education.

Plus I'm sick of the -40 deg in the winter here!

Any thoughts on education for non-PT kids and healthcare?

Are tourist cities less safe than non-tourist? no difference?
Old Sep 8th 2008, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

Nikki _ Sam has a brilliant futureNikki _ Sam has a brilliant futureNikki _ Sam has a brilliant futureNikki _ Sam has a brilliant futureNikki _ Sam has a brilliant futureNikki _ Sam has a brilliant futureNikki _ Sam has a brilliant future

Reckon it's the same as anywhere and the more rural you are, the safer it is. Don't know about Canada but Portugal seems to be safer than most countries (esp. u.k nowadays) where ever you liveand definitely warmer!
Old Sep 8th 2008, 7:32 am
Just Joined

you're central PT? around Lisbon? I'm considering northern PT, as my inlaws have a house there where we could live temp until things settle with a job and finding a school.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

PubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud of

The average Portuguese salary is 950 euros per month. Before you start converting to CA$, the current exchange rate favours Euro (in the long run it's likely to be worth at least 25% less than it does now).

Algarve is easily the most expensive region. If you want to live close to the sea, Central Portugal is the cheapest.

The North is a couple degrees colder than Lisbon. Humidity is also an issue.

AFAIAC the quality of life is clearly better than in Britain due to the climate, and nice non-aggressive locals (no Bob Probert's around). Compared to Canada, the climate should feel fantastic if you live close enough to the sea. However, you may want to save up a little before making your move because any job is likely to pay you no more than half of what you'd get in Canada for doing the same.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

steppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there

The average wage is reported to be 500 euros per month. I regularly see jobs advertised for 450 and they are full time jobs requiring hard work.

A professional salary would likely be significantly higher but I am not sure if you would have to sit for some qualifications here.

I know that to work as an electrician (new builds) you have to sit the Portuguese exams, which are in written Portuguese.

Also, if you cannot speak fluently, you may have to consider moving into an area where there are a high percentage of English speakers and that will be more expensive.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 1:54 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I'm having a hard time getting past the low salary. From what I gather education is good. And private health care is good, centro de saude is so-so.

I would love to live by the sea, or at least in walking/driving distance, but I need to consider where the work is and where good schools are for my kids.

I guess another great thing about PT is that almost anything is within driving distance.

I think in the end if we make the move, chances are it would be around Lisbon or Porto. And I guess to find an area with a higher concentration of english-speakers, Lisbon is probably the better choice.

Does anyone live in northern PT (Coimbra, Porto, Braga) and can comment on their experience?
Old Sep 10th 2008, 2:38 am
Just Joined

solarq is an unknown quantity at this point

Might be you should consider moving to another part of Canada, rather than going to Portugal. Probably not all of Canada has -40deg in winter. Many Portuguese would be happy, going to a country, where you get paid for your work. In fact hundreds of thousands left for Spain. Portuguese salaries are legalized theft and are a shame to the European Union.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 5:22 am
Just Joined

I've heard that happen from some people. I guess depends on the job and the company. We've considered warmer climates in Canada, like Toronto. And that would be an improvement from where we are now. But, It's a higher cost-of-living and there is less work-life balance.

Spain may be an alternative, but would still prefer PT.

Thanks for the honesty.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

PubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by palmeiro
We've considered warmer climates in Canada, like Toronto.
I'd think Vancouver. I've lived in Seattle just across the border and the climate there is similar to Britain.

http://www.worldclimate.com/cgi-bin/...1204+0012389G2

Toronto is bloody cold in winter:

http://www.worldclimate.com/cgi-bin/...1204+0016522G2
Old Sep 11th 2008, 2:48 am
Just Joined

What's life like in Marihna Grande, pubchampion? That's in Leiria, right? Vancouver is probably the best climate in Canada, unfortunately it's extremely expensive and it's the wrong way. If I dont' end up in PT, I want to be as close as possible. Vancouver is also full of crime and drugs.

But thanks for the comment.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by palmeiro
What's life like in Marihna Grande, pubchampion?
The town itself is of no interest - it has no character, the main through road is full of traffic lights slowing everything to a crawl.

However, it's only 10 km from the sea and in the middle of a big forest. The climate is superb. Surprisingly, you don't even need air conditioning. I'm not aware of any issues with crime or drugs. There are a few gipsies living in the forest but apart from raiding garbage bins they don't appear to be a problem.

A pretty good 3-4 bed detached property costs about 180K euros. Flats cost less than 100K. I'm renting a pretty good brand new flat for 300 euros a month. I don't think anything can be had in the UK for 300 euros apart from maybe a garden shed. Can you get anything for CA$300 in Canada?
Old Sep 11th 2008, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

steppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry to be a kill joy but there is a huge problem with drugs in Portugal and the laws do not help the police in any way.

My son was here for the summer and was offered everything - which is pretty much the state of affairs in much of the UK.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steppitoe
there is a huge problem with drugs in Portugal
If there's a problem with drugs where I live, drugs must have different effect on people. I don't go clubbing myself but people who do are saying that it's safe and there's never any trouble.

There's also no sign of racial tensions of any sort, unlike most of the UK. I'm guessing that it could be different in Lisboa or Porto.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.