IUC on imports

Old Jul 19th 2019, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default IUC on imports

WOO HOO!!!!!https://www.publico.pt/…/parlamento-aprovou-correccao-impos…The Single Currency Tax (IUC) calculation rules will change to vehicles registered in the EU prior to 2007 and imported into Portugal after July 2007. The Government has proposed correcting the rules after Brussels has challenged them, and in the latter voting day in Parliament, MPs have approved a tax amendment that will lower the value of the IUC to car owners in that situation. PSD and CDS abstained in the overall final vote, the remaining seats voted in favor.
The amendment should only take effect from 2020, as PUBLIC had already reported . And it is a correction of a fiscal distortion that the Portuguese State was promoting in the face of European rules. That was even recognized by the Court of Justice of the European Union , which intervened in the case of a taxpayer from Coimbra who challenged the tax which the State wanted to charge him.Owning a 1966 car, imported in 2013, it should be exempt from IUC (like all vehicles prior to 1981). However, the treasury ignored the first registration and wanted to subject it to an IUC of 131.40 euros, as if it were a car of 2013. The taxpayer contested and won, taking the state to court. The Government would respond with this proposed legislative amendment, which changes the rules for all taxpayers with a similar situation.For the last 12 years, when this IUC code came into force, the Portuguese State charges more on cars imported after July 2007. The vehicle is taxed based on the year of the first Portuguese registration (as if it were new, a higher value), ignoring the first foreign enrollment.
Old Jul 20th 2019, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IUC on imports

Hurray .. Pay a fortune in IUC for a 2006 car imported in 2016.. Something to look forward to next year , unfortuantely just paid 2019 ..
Old Jul 20th 2019, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Hurray .. Pay a fortune in IUC for a 2006 car imported in 2016.. Something to look forward to next year , unfortunately just paid 2019 ..
My 1982 Wagoneer that I matriculated in 2011 was an eye watering €776 per year for the first year after which I got it exempted but that exemption was due to be lost next year because of the law change so I'm hoping this will soften the blow nicely for me.
Old Jul 20th 2019, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

920 ish this year for me dropping to less than 500 next year is a welcome result
Old Jul 20th 2019, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

My 1998 Mercedes petrol imported in 2000; so nothing in there for me.
But I'm not paying the kind of money you guys are.
Old Jul 21st 2019, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assuming mine qualifies, it'll drop from €776 that I had to pay on the first year to about €110.................... In the intervening years it was exempt but with very limited Kms & it looks like the exemption was due to be scrapped next year so fingers crossed I do get that lower rate.
Old Aug 7th 2019, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

Portugal Resident raised the question as to whether the new rates will apply to all vehicles, or only to future imports from EU countries. Also, by then, I assume that the UK will be out of the EU and floating around in space somewhere, so that EU unlink could cause another hiccup. I think that, at the very least, future emigrants from the UK to Portugal might have to pay tax based on the importation date.

Specifically, it will depend how far Portugal wishes to extend the new rules. Although constrained to apply them to imports from EU, they might not wish to extend them to vehicles imported from, say, South Africa. Fingers crossed on this one.

Last edited by Diddion; Aug 7th 2019 at 7:49 am.
Old Aug 7th 2019, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Diddion
Portugal Resident raised the question as to whether the new rates will apply to all vehicles, or only to future imports from EU countries. Also, by then, I assume that the UK will be out of the EU and floating around in space somewhere, so that EU unlink could cause another hiccup. I think that, at the very least, future emigrants from the UK to Portugal might have to pay tax based on the importation date.

Specifically, it will depend how far Portugal wishes to extend the new rules. Although constrained to apply them to imports from EU, they might not wish to extend them to vehicles imported from, say, South Africa. Fingers crossed on this one.
ACP Classicos have recently told me that my 1982 classic will be taxed as a vehicle made in 1982 & I stressed I imported it from a non EU country so I'm sure the same rule will apply to your Jag.

But of course only time will tell.