Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

It's time to get out of UK...

It's time to get out of UK...

Old Jun 7th 2018, 1:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's time to get out of UK...

Originally Posted by Ash Jez
No need to turn the lights out Peter as it's a dull place these days, and with Brexit, and the lost revenue, there will be no money for street lighting either.
That's the thing though and different things can be dull for different people. Many Portuguese I know, complain about the street lighting and would rather have jobs, or at least jobs that pay.
I'm not a fan of the whole UK either and while the whole UK might be dull for you, many feel the same about Portugal. Somebody who's unemployed living in a nice looking village with maintained roundabouts funded by the EU, hates these roundabouts and would rather have the government invest money elsewhere.
Old Jun 17th 2018, 8:38 am
Just Joined

weebobsgrampa is an unknown quantity at this point

we are mid 50's and getting organised to move to algarve fill time sooner rather than later, we have a son whos 36 who lives there now, we have 17 yr old twins and we have waited till now to move as we wanted them out of school, before the move as we felt it best they finished their education in scotland rather than he upset of change while trying to do exams and language, not sure how well they would have managed
Old Jun 17th 2018, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillBullock
Our granddaughter moved over to the Algarve when she was nearly two years' old. Sixteen years' later she is fluent in Portuguese as well as English. She started off in a creche, then went to a Portuguese private school until she was 15, and is now in a secondary state school. The private school is Olhão was good, but by no means outstanding, and was reasonably priced compared with private day schools in England. The secondary school in Olhão is not very good, thanks to the attitude of a lot of teachers; they specialize in taking a lot of time off, leaving their classes with no teacher. The school does not have a system of employing supply teachers, presumably because of a lack of finance, and so our granddaughter has a lot of free periods every week. Her parents pay for extra tuition so that she can complete her education and this seems to be the norm at her school. Hopefully she will pass her exams despite the attitude/behaviour of her teachers. I don't know whether this is typical of secondary education elsewhere in Portugal; I sincerely hope it is not widespread but I get the impression that the education system is like it is because of the attitude of the State. There are a lot of disgruntled teachers who complain about the State education system, career prospects and management generally. My wife and I have to agree with them to a certain degree.
Lord thats sounds exactly like the International school my kids wen to in NL...Teachers absent,lots of 'free periods' and you can add squabbles between the Dutch and English teachers.. Things were no better at the Universities in Edinburgh and Hull where lecturers would just take off to flog their books or art work etc and leave some caretaker in charge...Education it appears is a myth in many places..Unless you pay through the nose ,its a crap game
Old Jun 17th 2018, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loveitta
Hi Guys,

Like many, I feel it's time to move on from the UK. Born and raised in South London, then moved to Manchester in 2003 where I currently reside with my 3 kids (8,10,11)

I'm hoping by Gods grace, to move to PT 2019. I've been doing lots of research (and i'm getting the feeling this is the right move) and checking out the job market. I know making a move anywhere is never easy, especially with kids, however, it's got to be done!

I would like advice/info on schools as honestly, I cannot afford to send all of my three kids to the private schools in PT, unless it's reasonable priced -which i've yet to see.

I would appreciate any info from expats/locals who have knowledge or know others who have sent their children to any good/outstanding state schools and if possible, the areas where the schools are situated. Has anyone taken their kids to a state school and did it have any negative impact on their children? Does any of the state school teach English as well Portuguese?

Initially, I will be moving to PT by myself to sort things out as the last thing i want is to be constantly moving around- not a great start with kids.

The language will be challenging - will learn of course, and I'm hoping my kids will pick it up quicker than me-fingers crossed.

Any info would be much appreciated.

​​​Regards

Pat
​​

Judging by all the posts we are now getting ,recent articles in the UK newspapers.etc You and half of the UK are moving to Portugal ( or Spain )

First... Its not ALL about the sun.. Portugal has cold wet winters too...It also has stinking hot DRY summers in many places...ie if you can't take endless heat,or damp unheated homes be aware. It has also had a spate of horrific forest fires of late...with many deaths...So location is key..water is key.. But the most important to begin with is ..work.! .. Finding a job when you don't speak Portuguese ,one that will support a large family ? Quite honestly if you don't have that before you come.. don't come.

This is a small country of 10 million people . Social security is virtually non existent to a standard that you might find acceptable . Poverty is very real here. Not saying you would ever need or expect it..just giving you a heads up...
Living off the land.? .If that were easy millions of young Portuguese wouldn't have been forced to leave the country in the first place

What skills can you bring to the country ? what sort of work can you do ? These are important questions. How much work are you prepared to put in before you come? i.e. to learn the language ..Everywhere above the Algarve speaks Portuguese and little English..Young people yes...Older no....

Not trying to put you off here.I moved with my young family to the Netherlands.. lived there for 30+ yrs.. It was very hard work..and my OH was head hunted to go,so we started out with an advantage... I never could find work.. (actually never allowed to work under the then system..) Your whole life and perceptions change..Be prepared for that.
Old Jun 17th 2018, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget to factor in prices for estrangeiros in bars and cafes.
Old Jun 17th 2018, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

We pay the same as the Portuguese - in restaurants, bars, cafes, everywhere.
Old Jun 17th 2018, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't bank on that Jan.
Old Jun 17th 2018, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chislenko
Don't forget to factor in prices for estrangeiros in bars and cafes.
Can't agree with you either.
Old Jun 17th 2018, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it's because we're not in a touristy area.
Old Jun 17th 2018, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

I have already posted about the overcharging of foreigners here.

1. We found a pub that had a great vibe so made it our favorite pub. The barman charged us €2,50 per beer all week. The following week there was a new bar girl and she charged us €1,25 per beer.

2. Had a spare door key made and was charged €10,00. When all my kids and partners came to visit I had to have another key made. Same shop, different salesman. €3,00.

3. Was charged €3,00 for the most basic wine corkscrew at a market. The exact same at Continente was 95c.

4. Food court in Porto. Don't recall price. Bought Fish n Chips. The guy next to me at the table happened to have the same except he had two fish fillets and I had only 1 plus his chips portion was humongous. I asked him as what price he paid. Same as me.
Old Jun 17th 2018, 6:29 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ukkram

1. We found a pub that had a great vibe so made it our favorite pub. The barman charged us €2,50 per beer all week. The following week there was a new bar girl and she charged us €1,25 per beer.

2. Had a spare door key made and was charged €10,00. When all my kids and partners came to visit I had to have another key made. Same shop, different salesman. €3,00.

3. Was charged €3,00 for the most basic wine corkscrew at a market. The exact same at Continente was 95c.

4. Food court in Porto. Don't recall price. Bought Fish n Chips. The guy next to me at the table happened to have the same except he had two fish fillets and I had only 1 plus his chips portion was humongous. I asked him as what price he paid. Same as me.
You need to move to the Algarve it's your " friendly Briti " who is more likely to rip you off than the local Portuguese..
Old Jun 17th 2018, 6:30 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
You need to move to the Algarve it's your " friendly Briti " who is more likely to rip you off than the local Portuguese..
Should have added bars and restaurants by law have to list their prices do if you paid more than on their menu, more fool you.
Old Jun 17th 2018, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Indeed EMR.
Old Jun 17th 2018, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ukkram

Ukkram, I can relate to the examples you have given but unfortunately there are none so blind as those that won't see.
Old Jun 18th 2018, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chislenko
Ukkram, I can relate to the examples you have given but unfortunately there are none so blind as those that won't see.
That's a silly statement. Clearly, not everyone agrees that estrangeiros are over-charged in cafes, bars and restaurants.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.