Reload this Page >

It's time to get out of UK...

It's time to get out of UK...

Old Jun 4th 2018, 10:40 am
Just Joined

Loveitta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default It's time to get out of UK...

Hi Guys,

Like many, I feel it's time to move on from the UK. Born and raised in South London, then moved to Manchester in 2003 where I currently reside with my 3 kids (8,10,11)

I'm hoping by Gods grace, to move to PT 2019. I've been doing lots of research (and i'm getting the feeling this is the right move) and checking out the job market. I know making a move anywhere is never easy, especially with kids, however, it's got to be done!

I would like advice/info on schools as honestly, I cannot afford to send all of my three kids to the private schools in PT, unless it's reasonable priced -which i've yet to see.

I would appreciate any info from expats/locals who have knowledge or know others who have sent their children to any good/outstanding state schools and if possible, the areas where the schools are situated. Has anyone taken their kids to a state school and did it have any negative impact on their children? Does any of the state school teach English as well Portuguese?

Initially, I will be moving to PT by myself to sort things out as the last thing i want is to be constantly moving around- not a great start with kids.

The language will be challenging - will learn of course, and I'm hoping my kids will pick it up quicker than me-fingers crossed.

Any info would be much appreciated.

​​​Regards

Pat
​​

Last edited by Loveitta; Jun 4th 2018 at 10:43 am.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's time to get out of UK...

All i would say is would the last one to leave the UK Turn the lights off.

From talking to friends who have children it seems from them the schools are very good and yes English is taught in all schools..

Good luck
Peter

Last edited by peterfc; Jun 4th 2018 at 12:12 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Loveitta
Hi Guys,

Like many, I feel it's time to move on from the UK. Born and raised in South London, then moved to Manchester in 2003 where I currently reside with my 3 kids (8,10,11)

I'm hoping by Gods grace, to move to PT 2019. I've been doing lots of research (and i'm getting the feeling this is the right move) and checking out the job market. I know making a move anywhere is never easy, especially with kids, however, it's got to be done!

I would like advice/info on schools as honestly, I cannot afford to send all of my three kids to the private schools in PT, unless it's reasonable priced -which i've yet to see.

I would appreciate any info from expats/locals who have knowledge or know others who have sent their children to any good/outstanding state schools and if possible, the areas where the schools are situated. Has anyone taken their kids to a state school and did it have any negative impact on their children? Does any of the state school teach English as well Portuguese?

Initially, I will be moving to PT by myself to sort things out as the last thing i want is to be constantly moving around- not a great start with kids.

The language will be challenging - will learn of course, and I'm hoping my kids will pick it up quicker than me-fingers crossed.

​​​Regards

Pat
​​
I wish you well, PT is a great place to live and bring up children compared with the UK, but unless you have significant financial resources, finding decent paid work is difficult, especially without speaking Portuguese and you need to be sure the area you want to move to is right for you all. The differences between the Algarve and the regions further north can change your view of the right area for your family, dependent on what your priories are.

Best wishes for you and your family's future.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Our granddaughter moved over to the Algarve when she was nearly two years' old. Sixteen years' later she is fluent in Portuguese as well as English. She started off in a creche, then went to a Portuguese private school until she was 15, and is now in a secondary state school. The private school is Olhão was good, but by no means outstanding, and was reasonably priced compared with private day schools in England. The secondary school in Olhão is not very good, thanks to the attitude of a lot of teachers; they specialize in taking a lot of time off, leaving their classes with no teacher. The school does not have a system of employing supply teachers, presumably because of a lack of finance, and so our granddaughter has a lot of free periods every week. Her parents pay for extra tuition so that she can complete her education and this seems to be the norm at her school. Hopefully she will pass her exams despite the attitude/behaviour of her teachers. I don't know whether this is typical of secondary education elsewhere in Portugal; I sincerely hope it is not widespread but I get the impression that the education system is like it is because of the attitude of the State. There are a lot of disgruntled teachers who complain about the State education system, career prospects and management generally. My wife and I have to agree with them to a certain degree.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by peterfc

From talking to friends who have children it seems from them the schools are very good and yes English is taught in all schools..

Good luck
Peter
Lol @ "turn the lights off".
Many thanks for the info Peter- much appreciated.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BillBullock
Our granddaughter moved over to the Algarve when she was nearly two years' old. Sixteen years' later she is fluent in Portuguese as well as English. She started off in a creche, then went to a Portuguese private school until she was 15, and is now in a secondary state school. The private school is Olhão was good, but by no means outstanding, and was reasonably priced compared with private day schools in England. The secondary school in Olhão is not very good, thanks to the attitude of a lot of teachers; they specialize in taking a lot of time off, leaving their classes with no teacher. The school does not have a system of employing supply teachers, presumably because of a lack of finance, and so our granddaughter has a lot of free periods every week. Her parents pay for extra tuition so that she can complete her education and this seems to be the norm at her school. Hopefully she will pass her exams despite the attitude/behaviour of her teachers. I don't know whether this is typical of secondary education elsewhere in Portugal; I sincerely hope it is not widespread but I get the impression that the education system is like it is because of the attitude of the State. There are a lot of disgruntled teachers who complain about the State education system, career prospects and management generally. My wife and I have to agree with them to a certain degree.
Hi BB,

Many thanks for your comments. Really appreciated.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bejaboz
I wish you well, PT is a great place to live and bring up children compared with the UK, but unless you have significant financial resources, finding decent paid work is difficult, especially without speaking Portuguese and you need to be sure the area you want to move to is right for you all. The differences between the Algarve and the regions further north can change your view of the right area for your family, dependent on what your priories are.

Best wishes for you and your family's future.
Hi Bejaboz,
Thanks for your comments and advice.
Yes, it seems the job and language will be a challenge. Apart from a job, my main priority is making sure the kids are in a good school. As for the area, Ideally i don't want to live in the city and would not mind commuting if needed.

Many thanks.

Patricia
Old Jun 4th 2018, 3:34 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys,

​​​Regards

Pat
​​
At the age the kids are they will suffer if not fluent in Portuguese, they are somewhat old to be starting in Portuguese school, yes they may well teach English in the schools, but the lessons will be in Portuguese, and at their ages they will fall behind their peers, International schools are usually recommended for those aged 10 and above, plus no-one yet knows how easy it will be to move to Portugal once Brexit has happened, if it ever does.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 3:44 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
At the age the kids are they will suffer if not fluent in Portuguese, they are somewhat old to be starting in Portuguese school, yes they may well teach English in the schools, but the lessons will be in Portuguese, and at their ages they will fall behind their peers, International schools are usually recommended for those aged 10 and above, plus no-one yet knows how easy it will be to move to Portugal once Brexit has happened, if it ever does.
We have friends who moved with children around that age and used the Internatuional schools.
Even so they still had problems adjusting , leaving friends and family is Bad enough but a different country , different language heard all around them, , no friends who they can around to within walking distance .
If the child is taken ill , coping with a different medical system.
Add the economic pressures , finding a job that pays enough etc. .
Moving with a family is not a decision that should be taken lightly .
Old Jun 4th 2018, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Hi Mikelincs,

Thanks for your comment and advice. Those thoughts have crossed my mind quite a few times. As for Brexit, that is also another concern.

As a 43 year old, I don't want to end up in a country (UK) that will suck the life out of me to the point it affects my children.

In life the only thing that is constant is change. I can only try my best and see what hapens.
​​​

Many thanks

Pat
​​​​
Old Jun 4th 2018, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EMR
We have friends who moved with children around that age and used the Internatuional schools.
Even so they still had problems adjusting , leaving friends and family is Bad enough but a different country , different language heard all around them, , no friends who they can around to within walking distance .
If the child is taken ill , coping with a different medical system.
Add the economic pressures , finding a job that pays enough etc. .
Moving with a family is not a decision that should be taken lightly .
Hi EMR,
Thanks for your comment and advice.
Moving to any country with a foreign language, health care system to name a few is always going to be a challenge.

All my family are in London and we only get to see them once a year to be honest-my choice. Guessing if i moved to PT i may be seeing more of them (sigh)

My kids will miss their school friends, but knowing them, PT will easily make them become a memory.

If i can secure a decent wage, good school and an ok area, I'm praying the rest will be manageble.

Many thanks

Pat
Old Jun 4th 2018, 6:31 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi EMR,
Thanks for your comment and advice.
Moving to any country with a foreign language, health care system to name a few is always going to be a challenge.

All my family are in London and we only get to see them once a year to be honest-my choice. Guessing if i moved to PT i may be seeing more of them (sigh)

My kids will miss their school friends, but knowing them, PT will easily make them become a memory.

If i can secure a decent wage, good school and an ok area, I'm praying the rest will be manageble.

Many thanks

Pat
What's your line of work? If you're renting, your salary will have to be very decent in order to pay the rent and bring 3 pre-teen children up, unless you have a private income as well.
Do you speak any other European languages? If not, I think you'll find Portuguese very difficult to master.
On the France forum, we advise parents to put children of around 10-11 in the last years of Primary school, to give them a chance of learning the language and culture, getting used to the different Education System, and making friends before going up to Secondary school. They suffer if they're thrown in at the deep end without knowing the language and having no friends to confide in. Someone stated above that English is taught in all schools - this must be true everywhere in Europe, but all the other lessons are surely in the language of the country?
Is there a particular reason for choosing Portugal, rather than the Republic of Ireland where there wouldn't be any language problem?
Good luck with your decision!
Old Jun 4th 2018, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

Laura Berlesconi is a jewel in the roughLaura Berlesconi is a jewel in the roughLaura Berlesconi is a jewel in the roughLaura Berlesconi is a jewel in the roughLaura Berlesconi is a jewel in the rough

Hi EMR,

If i can secure a decent wage,

Pat, I would suggest all of your research is into seeing if that is possible.
My best wishes.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

Ash Jez is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by peterfc

Good luck
Peter
No need to turn the lights out Peter as it's a dull place these days, and with Brexit, and the lost revenue, there will be no money for street lighting either.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

Guessing if i moved to PT i may be seeing more of them (sigh)

Do what we did - don't let them know where are you are

We only told close family and a couple of friends. Guess what? Those friends didn't bother.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.