British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   IPO [MOT] schedule (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/ipo-%5Bmot%5D-schedule-933962/)

liveaboard Jul 24th 2020 5:50 pm

IPO [MOT] schedule

My car should have the IPO done in August, but during the lockdown the schedule was bumped forward a couple of months.
Does anyone know what the situation is with that now?
Do I have extra time?

I used to just go to the IPO station in Portimao, do I need an appointment now or can I just turn up like before?

BillBullock Jul 25th 2020 6:51 am

Re: IPO [MOT] schedule

I don't know about Portimão, but Olhão is back to normal except for social distancing and face coverings. I have taken my cars to be tested in the month they are due.

liveaboard Jul 25th 2020 12:11 pm

Usually I get it done well early, so I have time to look after any problems without getting stressed for time.
But with the virus and all, I'm running a little late this year.
I need to get the car into my workshop for a few hours to give it a once-over, but the tractor is in there with the wheels off.

Rambling archer Jul 26th 2020 9:44 am

Incidentally - do IMT send out reminders that one's test is due or is it up to yourself to remember? Does anyone know if there are delays in Central Portugal - Tomar/Alvaiazere for example?

Red Eric Jul 26th 2020 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Rambling archer (Post 12887510)
Incidentally - do IMT send out reminders that one's test is due or is it up to yourself to remember? Does anyone know if there are delays in Central Portugal - Tomar/Alvaiazere for example?

IMT doesn't but whichever test centre you use might well do once you've used them the first time. Mine certainly does.

Best to be aware for yourself, though rather than relying on a reminder which might not be issued or fail to be delivered for one reason or another.

liveaboard Jul 26th 2020 12:20 pm

My test center used to send them out, but this year they did not.
No one reminds you about the road tax either, and the fine is nasty if you're even a day late, even if you didn't use the car on the road.
The tax has to be paid before the end of the relevant month but the IPO is to the exact day of the month.
Normally both the same month, but if it was imported used then one of those is the first registration date in Portugal and the other is the first registration date anywhere, but which one is which I can never keep straight.

So be careful!

Red Eric Jul 26th 2020 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by liveaboard (Post 12887569)
No one reminds you about the road tax either, and the fine is nasty if you're even a day late, even if you didn't use the car on the road.

I get email reminders from AT about that one.

It should be pretty easy to set up if you've got online access to the Portal, where you can also see alerts about actions pending on your account. It's an option on the contact details page.

Rambling archer Jul 27th 2020 9:57 am

OK - thanks all ....