Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Internet: MEO or Optimus WOW

Internet: MEO or Optimus WOW

Old May 23rd 2013, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold
Default Internet: MEO or Optimus WOW

Was just about to change the TV(TV Cabo) and PT internet/phone to a MEO pack(24Mbps) TV also via phone line... I was told that if I have the TV on as well as net I will loose speed... is this true?

Now I have seen this, it got me thinking just cchange net and phone?! Its a wireless router that basically works same was as our mobile phones get intenet... anyone have it, think it will have a strong signal or better with old fashioned telephone wires supplying the internet?

here it is....
http://www.wow.pt/

p.s seems a bit of a bonus that you can take it anywhere(i.e away for a few days to a hotel or just to another part of the house)
Old May 24th 2013, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet: MEO or Optimus WOW

FWIW, I've got the MEO TV/Internet/Phone that costs (IIRC) about E60 per month but I don't get anything like 24 Mbps...... it's reasonably good but my speedtests usually tell me about 8 Mbps........ does it solw down when you put the MEO TV on? - Maybe matginally but not a helluva lot.

I don't know anything about Wow but is it a limited package and/or how many computers can it serve at the same time?
Old May 24th 2013, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

You will not be able to just change the phone and net - they insist on the television package as well.

At least, they used to. I refused.

And as we can only get 6 wotsits into this village, a waste of time being promised a faster service.
Old May 24th 2013, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Hog is on a distinguished road

On Tuesday I spent over 40 minutes on the phone trying to cancel my MEO package. All I want is phone and Internet, I no longer want the TV package. The rep that I spoke to went through all the available packages that MEO do before finally saying 'OK, now I have to transfer you to someone else'. Another 10 minutes speaking to another rep to confirm what I wanted. At the end of that conversation he tells me that someone from the technical department will now contact me. On Thursday they did and told me that an engineer will come to my house to make the changes! What a palaver! It would have been easier just to cancel the direct debit.
Old May 24th 2013, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mfesharne

I don't know anything about Wow but is it a limited package and/or how many computers can it serve at the same time?
They gaurantee up to 10 devices before you will loose signal.

By time I got home last night with had already singed up to MEO... lets see how it goes, have 2 weeks to cancel if not happy(well, so they say!)

Unfortunatly PT does not have fibre optics in area where my house is, otherwise I would have that! Have it in office and a speed test comes back with 14-18mbps!

Last edited by gedscottish; May 24th 2013 at 11:15 am.
Old May 24th 2013, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fuzetajan
You will not be able to just change the phone and net - they insist on the television package as well.

At least, they used to. I refused.

And as we can only get 6 wotsits into this village, a waste of time being promised a faster service.
yes MEO deal is with TV included, the option of WOW was keeping the excisting TV Cabo(ZON)
Old May 24th 2013, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The_Hog
On Tuesday I spent over 40 minutes on the phone trying to cancel my MEO package. All I want is phone and Internet, I no longer want the TV package. The rep that I spoke to went through all the available packages that MEO do before finally saying 'OK, now I have to transfer you to someone else'. Another 10 minutes speaking to another rep to confirm what I wanted. At the end of that conversation he tells me that someone from the technical department will now contact me. On Thursday they did and told me that an engineer will come to my house to make the changes! What a palaver! It would have been easier just to cancel the direct debit.
They hit my with on phone with story that MEO was only available as a complete pack yet in a local shop that sells it they told us a bout a pack that is only phone & net.
I think for you if they don't cancel teh TV, best thing to do is telling them you are cancelling the lot and moving to ZON, I am sure they will soon change their tune?!
Old May 24th 2013, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

steppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of light

We had the TV because all in it was still cheaper than Sapo.

I was getting 1.2 with Sapo and now getting 13 with MEO so very pleased.
Still to watch the telly but I have the option if I want to, the box records and I can watch the previous weeks telly programmes.

Cannot comment on Optimus deal but very pleased with MEO.
Old May 24th 2013, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by steppitoe
We had the TV because all in it was still cheaper than Sapo.

I was getting 1.2 with Sapo and now getting 13 with MEO so very pleased.
Still to watch the telly but I have the option if I want to, the box records and I can watch the previous weeks telly programmes.

Cannot comment on Optimus deal but very pleased with MEO.
Thanks steppitoe, thats a bit of relief that you are happy with it and getting 13, we are lucky if we see 2 with our Sapo broadband!
Old May 24th 2013, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

steppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of light

yes and I am far out West in the sticks so want not hopeful!
Old May 24th 2013, 4:41 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

If you have fibre optic cables almost to your door then the reception should have improved tenfold. They do not get nicked by the copper thieves either.
Old May 24th 2013, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

My internet does not slow down even when the TV is on, even when it's recording another channel at the same time.
But my promised 12 down / 1 up is more like 6 down and 0.7 up.
The speed test gets markedly slower if you use a foreign ping source. If you ping Meo's own server it's closer to spec.

I don't use the TV at all anymore; but I couldn't get a better deal by having it taken out, so it's still there.
If ASTRA really does stop working, I guess we'll go back to the MEO TV, but there really wasn't a lot to watch on there. It's mostly repeats.
Old May 25th 2013, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

DublinLassie is an unknown quantity at this point

That WOW looks like great value, especially if you add in the free national and international calls. Tried my postal code, and it is not available here in Estoi. Oh well, stuck with Sapo for another while.
Old May 25th 2013, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Meo / Sapo is widely available, but their competitors [optimus, zon, vodafone, etc.] are only available in densely populated areas.
in order to compete, Meo / Sapo offer lower prices in those areas too.
in rural areas where they have no competition [like my place], they charge considerably higher rates.
There are also some laws in place to limit the usefulness of satellite internet services; they have to have monthly data limits. this doesn't apply to hard wired service, so Meo / Sapo [owned by the monolithic Portugal Telecom] has an edge.
I wanted to switch away from them, but there's no one else who can offer me the service I want.
Old May 25th 2013, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Etchy Boy is an unknown quantity at this point

I joined Meo in October for 2yr contract, been very happy. 145 tv channels, landline with free local calls + international calls to many countries after 9pm, and internet ... Im not in fibre area so only get 10.5mbps speed. Yes using TV affects me, a standard channel uses 2mbps and HD channel 5mbps ... meaning I cant record a HD and watch another HD ... and so if Im watching a normal channel my internet speed (download) is 8.5 ... if all that made sense

Ive last week joined Meo's M4O which adds 2 mobile numbers onto the account (transferring my vodafone numbers over for further discounts) ... so for same price I was paying vodafone I pay Meo and instead of the 100 minutes OR texts of mobile usage I had, I now have 4000 minutes AND 4000 texts (and 400mb data) ... means I have to start a brand new 2yr contract, but so be it ... Im planning to stick around.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.