Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

State healthcare system.

State healthcare system.

Old Dec 28th 2017, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all
Default State healthcare system.

Went to my state family doctor today to test the system for the first time. I still have private medical but I wanted to see how efficient it works.

All I needed was some BP medication so I showed reception the box and she typed out a note for me that looked like a receipt for a €2,50 payment and said I must return next Friday for the script.

Now what happens if I was feeling ill? Would I still have to wait a week?
Old Dec 28th 2017, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: State healthcare system.

Did she mean next Friday, or tomorrow Friday?
A common error by non-native speakers of English is that "next Friday" must be the next one to arrive, unaware that the phrase is [probably] a shortened form of "next week Friday".

I've caught it a few times.
Old Dec 28th 2017, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

It will be there tomorrow.

The 2.50 you paid is for a prescription without seeing the doctor, as in a repeat prescription. Normally donw within 24 hours and if you doc is on holiday, then another doc will do it.

4.50 is seeing the doctor for a problem.

Although in saying that, I used to have to "see" the doc, to get my prescription. but now they know me here, no worries.
Old Dec 28th 2017, 7:06 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
Did she mean next Friday, or tomorrow Friday?
A common error by non-native speakers of English is that "next Friday" must be the next one to arrive, unaware that the phrase is [probably] a shortened form of "next week Friday".

I've caught it a few times.
Me to,

Tomorrow is THIS Friday, the 5th Jan is NEXT Friday.

better to check the date rather than the day.
Old Dec 28th 2017, 8:42 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ukkram
Now what happens if I was feeling ill? Would I still have to wait a week?
No, of course not.

Where do you think you are and what sort of government do you think we have
Old Dec 29th 2017, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, My Centro de Saude now has a system where I can email my Doctor for a repeat prescription which is emailed & SMSd to me (usually) within a day or two at no cost so it might be worth asking if they have the same service?

I am diabetic though so get free prescriptions (for diabetic meds) anyway.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

I think you guys are correct about the "next Friday" and "next week Friday".

I doubt the email/sms method is used here because they never asked for my cell number or my email address. How would I be able to pay the €2,50?
Old Dec 30th 2017, 7:19 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt the email/sms method is used here because they never asked for my cell number or my email address. How would I be able to pay the €2,50?
SMS is certainly used round here - you go to the health centre to request and pay but you don't have to return to collect the prescription itself.
Old Dec 30th 2017, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

I learned the way the Portuguese cope with repeat prescriptions - they get the first one from the Doctor - take it to be filled out then ask the Pharmacist to give it back to them - saying they will be needing it again.

Not saying all Pharmacies will allow it, but I have tried this myself and it worked fine
Old Dec 30th 2017, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

Most repeat prescriptions are valid for 6 months. Also, if you ask for a tres vias, then you'll get three prescriptions in one. All the pharmacist will do is write on the form how many you have left.

Unless it's different in different parts of Portugal, that's how it works here.
Old Dec 30th 2017, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

In my case I don't pay because I'm diabetic but I believe that all SMS or email ones are free....... Could be wrong on that though.
Old Dec 30th 2017, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ouriquejan
Most repeat prescriptions are valid for 6 months. Also, if you ask for a tres vias, then you'll get three prescriptions in one. All the pharmacist will do is write on the form how many you have left.

Unless it's different in different parts of Portugal, that's how it works here.

My pharmacist tells me that she can repeat most prescriptions for her patients without any further paperwork, as a registered pharmacist; this excludes anything narcotic, which is on a stricter regime.

However, when she does that we don't benefit from the state subsidy on medicines. Sometimes that's significant, sometimes it's not.