Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Internet Access Law Question

Wikiposts

Internet Access Law Question

Old Jun 7th 2012, 3:16 am
Banned

sir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the rough
Default Internet Access Law Question

Is it against the law in PT to use my neighbour's internet service via their WIFI (SAPO) [with his/her permission of course]?
Old Jun 7th 2012, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet Access Law Question

I strongly suspect it will be against your neighbor's terms of service; and therefore he will be in breach of contract and the law.

Of course everyone just does it anyway. I know where there are some LAN wires between houses...
Old Jun 7th 2012, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Campanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really nice

Agree with the above but we also use a friends with their permission.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 3:18 am
I.T Expert - Algarve

scott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the rough
Post Re: Internet Access Law Question

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I strongly suspect it will be against your neighbor's terms of service; and therefore he will be in breach of contract and the law.

Of course everyone just does it anyway. I know where there are some LAN wires between houses...
Exactly. The person who is sharing the internet connection with the neighbor is breaching their contract. If they choose to do so, the neighbor is not liable for anything
Old Jun 8th 2012, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir recorder
Is it against the law in PT to use my neighbour's internet service via their WIFI (SAPO) [with his/her permission of course]?
Speak up I can't hear you
Old Jun 10th 2012, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Troia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really nice

Not against the law, but against all the safety rules...once using your neighbor internet access all YOUR internet traffic (sites visited, passwords..etc) of YOUR computer will pass through your neighbour computer, which he can fish up.

Actually some people purposely make her WIFI LAN´s available to fish online banking passwords....
Old Jun 10th 2012, 6:31 pm
Banned

sir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Troia
Not against the law, but against all the safety rules...once using your neighbor internet access all YOUR internet traffic (sites visited, passwords..etc) of YOUR computer will pass through your neighbour computer, which he can fish up.

Actually some people purposely make her WIFI LAN´s available to fish online banking passwords....
Not strictly true. All I would be using would be their wifi cable/adsl modem to access the internet, and definitely not their PC.

I/we log in via a VPN privacy service. No one breaks into our PC traffic. It's all encrypted from our PC to the remote service and back again. And we use Rapport to stop phising when online to our bank.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

You use a VPN for.......services that need a UK IP address. Guessing either streaming or downloading. Your neighbour may not be so understanding when his download limits are exceeded!
Old Jun 11th 2012, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

So long as your neighbour pays his/ her Internet/ Phone by Direct Debit there is no download limit.

Peter
Old Jun 13th 2012, 8:38 pm
I.T Expert - Algarve

scott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the rough
Post Re: Internet Access Law Question

Originally Posted by peterfc
Hi

So long as your neighbour pays his/ her Internet/ Phone by Direct Debit there is no download limit.

Peter
Hi Peter,

This is not always the case. SAPO/PT customers that pay by direct debit must request the unlimited download from the customer services directly (can also be done online).