Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Inherited property in Portugal

Inherited property in Portugal

Old Apr 20th 2019, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

tangolima is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Inherited property in Portugal

I have inherited a holiday apartment from my sister (who lived in the UK, as do I) and after it was finally registered in my name I was sent a bill for around €8,000 for ‘Stamp Duty’. I had already paid 40% inheritance tax in the UK which included the value of this property. Has anyone had any experience of this and is it possible to re-claim the tax from either UK or Portugal authorities. Thanks in advance for any help advice given.
Old Apr 20th 2019, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice
Default Re: Inherited property in Portugal

Stamp Duty is paid when there is a change of ownership of a property. It could perhaps have been avoided by 'gifting' the property to you, or your own children, a few years ago but then hindsight is always 20/20. Inheritance tax depends on the valuation (the rateable value not the resale value) but I am not sure why inheritance tax was paid in the UK and not in PT since it relates to a Portuguese asset. (Suggest you take this up with a PT based financial adviser). Tax once paid is unlikely to be reclaimable - as far as I can see you will have to rent or sell the property to get any kind of return on your inheritance.
Old Apr 20th 2019, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrBife
Stamp Duty is paid when there is a change of ownership of a property. It could perhaps have been avoided by 'gifting' the property to you, or your own children, a few years ago but then hindsight is always 20/20. Inheritance tax depends on the valuation (the rateable value not the resale value) but I am not sure why inheritance tax was paid in the UK and not in PT since it relates to a Portuguese asset. (Suggest you take this up with a PT based financial adviser). Tax once paid is unlikely to be reclaimable - as far as I can see you will have to rent or sell the property to get any kind of return on your inheritance.
Thanks for your response and suggestions MrBife. It does all seem very confusing!
Old Apr 20th 2019, 4:15 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tangolima
I have inherited a holiday apartment from my sister (who lived in the UK, as do I) and after it was finally registered in my name I was sent a bill for around €8,000 for ‘Stamp Duty’. I had already paid 40% inheritance tax in the UK which included the value of this property. Has anyone had any experience of this and is it possible to re-claim the tax from either UK or Portugal authorities. Thanks in advance for any help advice given.
Hi, butting in from the France forum, since the same Inheritance Laws govern such matters here. The 40% inheritance tax is normal for a sibling, In France it's either 35% or 45% depending on the rateable value of the property and, in fact, must be paid to the French Tax Office via the Notary, wherever the heir lives. Who did you actually pay the Inheritance Tax to? Was the payee then going to transfer it to the Portuguese Notary dealing with the Succession or the Tax Office? I should make sure that everything is in order with the Portuguese Tax Office and that you won't find yourself receiving a demand from them! Inheritance Tax and Stamp Duty are set down by Law and IMO there's little chance of being refunded.
HTH
P.S. Many people in France are forced to sell inherited property in order to pay the high rate of Inheritance Tax, but they do have the option to refuse the inheritance if they prefer.

Last edited by dmu; Apr 20th 2019 at 4:19 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2019, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your input dmu