Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Infra red heating

Infra red heating

Old Mar 15th 2018, 9:54 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Infra red heating

We just closed off the archway that leads from the lounge to our stairs with a pair of neutral coloured black out curtains.
The difference they made was surprising.
We too only use the fire for heating, it is more than enough , but being a relatively new build has insulation in the walls .
Old Mar 15th 2018, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
No, not cheaper than wood.

Whatever label or finish on an electric heater, they are all exactly the same electrically; for every watt of electricity, you get a watt of heat. not more, not less. A watt for a watt.

The exception is the reverse cycle air-conditioners, also referred to as heat pumps. Their efficiency depends on the outside temperature, and drops off when it gets really cold.
Since it rarely gets that cold in southern Portugal, they will save a lot of energy.

However, they're spinning whirring complex machines that make noise and will wear out after a while; life expectancy is 10-20 years.

But that's the point with the better infrared heaters. Compared to convection heating systems, infrared heaters heat the objects and not the air. This way, the room temperature seems warmer even if the thermostat is set 3 to 4 °C degrees lower than in convection heaters and still have a nice warm home. You could say the same with a wood burner. The wood price is €1, so basically the same. The difference is that the better wood burner might only need 2 logs to reach the temp, while the other might need 3. Of course better heat pumps (Daikin, Mitsubishi etc.) are very efficient, but it's a different type of heat.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
... Compared to convection heating systems, infrared heaters heat the objects and not the air. This way, the room temperature seems warmer even if the thermostat is set 3 to 4 °C degrees lower than in convection heaters and still have a nice warm home. ...
So a room heated with infra-red heaters that has reached 15-16C (so the heaters have switched off) will be as comfortable as a room heated by a reverse cycle aircon unit that has reached its target 19C and switched off? Seems unlikely to me.

It will be like sitting outside in sunshine at 15C. Fine when the sun is out but cold when a cloud gets in the way.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 12:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
So a room heated with infra-red heaters that has reached 15-16C (so the heaters have switched off) will be as comfortable as a room heated by a reverse cycle aircon unit that has reached its target 19C and switched off? Seems unlikely to me.

It will be like sitting outside in sunshine at 15C. Fine when the sun is out but cold when a cloud gets in the way.
We have both systems in house and it again depends on person, house, feel & how you use them. A lot of people have no idea how it works, so it makes sense to see for yourself and it might not suit every house. For example a decent infrared heater at a lower temp will heat the walls and the walls slowly release the heat. Reverse cycle aircon only really heats when on and unless the house is well insulated, it cools down very quickly.

It's also a complete different heat feel.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

I installed night-storage heaters several years' ago which I only run on the cheap rate electricity. They keep the structure of the house at a comfortable temperature all day long and this suits a retired couple like us. I believe it is most important to keep the structure at a comfortable temperature and not let it cool down too much in the winter. Likewise, it is important to do everything you can to stop a house warming up too much in the long hot summer; it helps if you keep the windows closed so that the warm air cannot enter the house.

Our bathroom is the place where we need the heat most of all in winter and that's where we installed the first heater. Modern NS heaters are very controllable and I have not regretted the initial capital cost one bit. Our bottled gas central heating system was uninstalled years' ago as it was too expensive to run. A log-burner in the sitting room supplements the heating system on cold evenings but is a bit of a fag to keep running.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

dinnerbell is an unknown quantity at this point

We have them in the bedroom, office and living.

Produce very good dry background heat. We turn them down at night to about 15 degrees. They are controlled with thermostats and we have noticed that the heat is retained well over night even though we have a freestanding, uninsulated house, with no double glazing. We noticed that they stay off all night until the temperature drops at about 7am - unless it is freezing outside and then they go on and off through the night. We also turn them down when we go out. We never turn them off. We are warm and comfortable.

We are installing roof insulation for next winter and a wood burner with piped hot air to the other rooms. However we will keep the panels on the walls with a basic temperature of 15-16 degrees set to make sure that the house never cools down.

We find the electricity cost reasonable. Next year we think that the cost will reduce considerably due to the insulation and woodburner. (Of course we will have to buy wood which we don't now).

Ours are from Trotec - very reasonable cost and delivery no problem. They are white, not fancy but also not obtrusive, and do a great job. You can wall mount as we have done, or put them on feet. Don't think that they can be hung from the ceiling. You can get very nicely designed panels from other companies but they are serious money.

Something to think about is your electricity supply. Depending on how you are supplied and wired you may find that you need to switch one off to use a hairdryer or similar. But that isn't a big deal and typical in Portugal.

Hope that helps, feel free to contact for more info.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Cherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Tonyj
We have a brand called Heatwafers installed in our townhouse in the living room and main bedroom. They are designed to be left on all the time during the winter months.

They are quite cost-effective but the main benefit is they give off a nice type of heat; very similar to central heating in the UK. I don't like the heat from the aircon which I find too dry.

Welcome | www.heatwafer.com

The cost between 92 and 140 Euros to buy depending on the size. I would suggest going for the largest one for bigger rooms. They are attached to the wall buy plug into a normal socket. The place we bought from in Tavira installed them free of charge.

This page shows their cost over one hour and 24 hours. I think they are cheaper than burning wood. Technical | www.heatwafer.com
Thanks for this. I'd actually heard of these before I moved here but had completely forgotten about them. Great because I believe they're made in Portugal so no problems getting hold of them.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Cherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MrBife
A lot of the perceived discomfort is due to the air being damp. Reducing it will make a room 'feel' warmer. AC units can operate in dehumidify mode as well as hot and cold so they do offer advantages.

I would suggest you wait until you have experienced a summer in that house before deciding - it sounds like it has zero insulation so you may have some comfort issues of the opposite kind in a few months.

It's always better to spend money on insulation if you are staying in that property - spot heating just creates condensation and wastes a lot of energy.
This is something I'm going to look into shortly. What is the norm for methods of insulation here? With no hatch into the shallow roof space I have no clue what could be done there. Looking at the wall construction of the new builds round the corner doesn't lead me to think cavity wall insulation is an option.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

Originally Posted by Cherrypop
This is something I'm going to look into shortly. What is the norm for methods of insulation here? With no hatch into the shallow roof space I have no clue what could be done there. Looking at the wall construction of the new builds round the corner doesn't lead me to think cavity wall insulation is an option.
Without seeing your specific house construction it's hard to know how to best insulate the roof but probably you will find that its easier to go in to the void from the top by taking off a few tiles. Portuguese builders don't waste their money on insulation !

Walls can be done with a system called 'Capoto' which is an external layer of polystyrene that is then rendered over. Cost is around €35 a square metre which includes finishing so it saves having to do an external re paint.

Obvious other candidates for heat loss are windows if not already reasonably draft free and double glazed,
Old Mar 19th 2018, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

BlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the 1 Watt of electrical energy being converted to an equivalent of 1 watt of heat energy. So doubtfully cheaper than burning wood. Where the efficiency comes in, I am guessing here / is in the method of transfer from the heater to you, the person. With these Infrared heating panels you do not have to wait for the the surrounding air to be heated before you feel warm. We all know hot air goes up and escapes causing heat loss in a room. Also more efficient as no fan (which consumes additional electrical energy) is needed to circulate the heat. On the downside I expect it becomes chilly very quickly once you switch the Infrared heating panel off.
Originally Posted by liveaboard
No, not cheaper than wood.

Whatever label or finish on an electric heater, they are all exactly the same electrically; for every watt of electricity, you get a watt of heat. not more, not less. A watt for a watt.

The exception is the reverse cycle air-conditioners, also referred to as heat pumps. Their efficiency depends on the outside temperature, and drops off when it gets really cold.
Since it rarely gets that cold in southern Portugal, they will save a lot of energy.

However, they're spinning whirring complex machines that make noise and will wear out after a while; life expectancy is 10-20 years.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 10:44 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

I would agree with Richard and Liveaboard. Heat pumps (aircon) are most efficient because you get more heat out than the energy you put in, 3-4 times as much.

We had mitsubishi units put in to most rooms when we moved in. They're really quiet, the heads on the wall are small and nice looking, and they deliver nice warm air after a couple of minutes. We got four installed for a total of about 3k, from Leroy Merlin. Bonus is we can cool in summer, though we really don't use aircon much. But it is nice to have on overnight, so we can close the shutters, because there is nowhere in portugal where you cannot hear a dog barking all night, even if you're lucky enough it's not right next door.

However, even where we are in Setubal (south of Lisbon), they're not enough to really heat the house especially when the temperature drops to 5 degrees or less. Their efficiency drops off, and they have to go into defrost mode for periods (because the coil outside needs to be colder than the surrounding air for the thing to get heat from outside, and if the air temp is cool, that means it starts to freeze up and get ice buildup).

So you do need another source of heat. Electric is an option, but is expensive. We have gas central heating, we replaced our boiler just before xmas, and it's great now. We have radiators throughout the house, and it's warm. Gas is about half the price of electricity per KJ, so cheaper than electric heaters.

But once the temp goes up a bit, we turn it off and rely on the aircons, because it's cheaper.

But look into insulation too. Portuguese houses often have very poor insulation, and good insulation will save a lot of money, and avoid condensation problems too.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by captainflack
I would agree with Richard and Liveaboard. Heat pumps (aircon) are most efficient because you get more heat out than the energy you put in, 3-4 times as much.

..... Gas is about half the price of electricity per KJ, so cheaper than electric heaters...
Are you on mains gas? We live in the countryside and mains gas is not an option. I'm pretty sure bottled gas does not work out cheaper than electricity.