Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Incompetence of MEO

Incompetence of MEO

Old Dec 16th 2022, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice
Default Re: Incompetence of MEO

We are going to do a trial with Lazer.com.
Old Dec 16th 2022, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever
Just for comparison, what would a Speedtest give you with same sim in a mobile phone at the location, without any external aerial?
It varies between about 5mbps and 14mbps on the download and between 2 mbps and 4.5mps on the upload. Not consistent though.
Old Dec 16th 2022, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice

It is back on but SO slow!
Old Dec 16th 2022, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shanorme
It varies between about 5mbps and 14mbps on the download and between 2 mbps and 4.5mps on the upload. Not consistent though.
Well thats better than I get,,,,speedtests over a 12 moths period vary from2mb dl and 0.66ul to around 6dl and 0.9ul. Just done one now, phone showing 5 bars....dl 3.89 and 0.21 ul.
Ping 33ms and Jitter 12ms Loss 0% all of which are pretty good numbers, I just dont get it. But if I use Network Cell Info Lite free app it shows 107dBm which puts it n the orange and basically useless,,but still showing 5 full bars of signal My sim 2 which is phone only, is at -130 !!!
So no mobile phone signal at all, and yet the phone is showing 4 bars on that sim.
Old Dec 17th 2022, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

I've come to the conclusion that it's all voodoo! The reason we use the Mikrotik on the roof is because it worked for us in rural Wales and 'touch wood' seems to be working here.
Old Dec 19th 2022, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shanorme
I've come to the conclusion that it's all voodoo! The reason we use the Mikrotik on the roof is because it worked for us in rural Wales and 'touch wood' seems to be working here.
Who or what are you aimed at so you get a signal?

Lazer has now told us we are not in line of sight of their tower because there is a hill between us.
Old Dec 19th 2022, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

We are aimed at the Vodafone tower (data card is Vodafone - chosen because it is the closest tower to us).
Old Dec 19th 2022, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you. We have Vodafone and Uzo cards and supposedly have three towers near us in the orchards near Messines ... but Hubby says the signals are too weak but he continues to investigate.
Old Dec 19th 2022, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I just got a wireless modem/router temporarily, and then another a week later.
reception is very different, the later one works a LOT better.
there are 2 things happening; one is the connection between the modem and the phone tower, the other is the signal between the modem and your device.
It's difficult to separate the two and figure out which is the weak link, or if it's both.
The signal strength indicators seem unreliable to me.

Anyway, now we have very fast internet but it cuts out often for a second or a minute.
We have new satellite TV which has a good picture but it's the 90's again with no record facility or time shift.

They say there will be fiber to our place but can't say when.

Old Dec 20th 2022, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

The whole business of phones picking up 4G signals is quite odd in my experience.
So talking Android phones only. I have 3 pretty new phones,
Xiaomi Redmi note 7 (3 years old) Running on latest Android
Asus Zenfone 3 (3 years old)
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom (3 years old)
Using MEO data sim in each of these phones gives very different download speeds
Not just a one off but I regularly change from one to another.
But what is really really odd, is that earlier this year the Xioami was way superior to the Asus phones for signal.
After spending summer in UK, when i returned to PT, I found that the Xioami was suddenly useless.
But again for no reason I can see, the Asus zen3 is now way better and more reliable than it ever was before.
So I can play bbc iplayer /All4 films all in HD without any hiccups at all, despite even now only having d/l speeds of around 5 or 6mbs
It is clear on this basis that different phones offer different signal strength, but why that should just change is beyond me.
Not sure if a portable 4g Hot Spot is any better than a phone
Old Dec 20th 2022, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Voodoo, I tell ya!
Old Dec 24th 2022, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I put my router in a weathertight box on my outside wall but it didn't help; so I did a series of pings to the router from close range and the results are mixed.
So I think the new router is faulty and that's the root of my problem.
Old Dec 25th 2022, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I put my router in a weathertight box on my outside wall but it didn't help; so I did a series of pings to the router from close range and the results are mixed.
So I think the new router is faulty and that's the root of my problem.
MEO replaced my router last time it was faulty and at no charge. I get good service from MEO but the line has never been brought by foul weather. I use the 800209986 freephone number for English speakers.
Old Jan 12th 2023, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

MEO have surprisingly given us back 25 Euros for our downtime.
Old Jan 12th 2023, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

J00ls is an unknown quantity at this point

Us too. Lazer are operating close to us but not close enough - and MEO can't tell us when they will be able to let us have fibre. Thank goodness for the vodaphone router and sim-card......and no, we may not live in a town centre but neither do we live in the middle of nowhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.