Buying a car

Old Nov 2nd 2017, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

Cherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant future
Default Buying a car

I'll be relocating to Sao Bras in January and am going to need a car. Given the high price of used vehicles, not to mention the risks associated with buying a potential money drain, I'm seriously considering a new vehicle.

I've a good idea which car I want, have found the dealer online and configured the model on the website which gives a price. What I can't fathom is what taxes are added onto this price - I was told the price is not including the additional costs?

Can someone explain what is added to the price and how is road tax calculated (I have no idea how much I can expect to pay per year)?

I'll be in Portugal to complete on the purchase of my property in early December so hope to visit the dealer to get it ordered. I'm not getting any response to my emails so what sort of time can I expect to wait for delivery - does anyone know?
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Buying a car

Originally Posted by Cherrypop
I'll be relocating to Sao Bras in January and am going to need a car. Given the high price of used vehicles, not to mention the risks associated with buying a potential money drain, I'm seriously considering a new vehicle.

I've a good idea which car I want, have found the dealer online and configured the model on the website which gives a price. What I can't fathom is what taxes are added onto this price - I was told the price is not including the additional costs?

Can someone explain what is added to the price and how is road tax calculated (I have no idea how much I can expect to pay per year)?

I'll be in Portugal to complete on the purchase of my property in early December so hope to visit the dealer to get it ordered. I'm not getting any response to my emails so what sort of time can I expect to wait for delivery - does anyone know?
Been 13 years since we bought a new car here but I don't remember of any add on's, price quoted included all taxes. Out of curiosity, which manufacturer is it so I can see how they price? Surely they already include IVA & ISV and it's perhaps just transport and registration costs added on?

Have a look here for road tax:
https://impostosobreveiculos.info/ta...acao-iuc-2017/
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Cherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Been 13 years since we bought a new car here but I don't remember of any add on's, price quoted included all taxes. Out of curiosity, which manufacturer is it so I can see how they price? Surely they already include IVA & ISV and it's perhaps just transport and registration costs added on?

Have a look here for road tax:
https://impostosobreveiculos.info/ta...acao-iuc-2017/
You're quite possibly correct but can't make out a lot of the finer points on website. Having said that, the person that told me bought a used car recently and it had add-ons from the price on the windscreen.

I'm looking at a Hyundai i10 - nice and compact and hopefully cheap to run with good warranty
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 12:53 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

If you post a link to the website we could possibly sort out what's included and what's not (if anything).
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Red Eric
If you post a link to the website we could possibly sort out what's included and what's not (if anything).
Thank you. I've actually had a reply from the dealership and it seems the website pricing includes taxes. I think there will be a few sundry add-ons but that's OK. They're telling me 4 months for delivery though
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Cherrypop
You're quite possibly correct but can't make out a lot of the finer points on website. Having said that, the person that told me bought a used car recently and it had add-ons from the price on the windscreen.

I'm looking at a Hyundai i10 - nice and compact and hopefully cheap to run with good warranty
Just had a quick look and prices are like you say including taxes but excluding documentation, transport and Ecovalor. I've no idea what "ecovalor" is though!

As for 4 months, you've obviously selected some options, I don't know why Portugal works so badly with new cars in this respect, select a car that's not white, black or silver and you'll wait months! Add and ashtray and that's another month!
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Just had a quick look and prices are like you say including taxes but excluding documentation, transport and Ecovalor. I've no idea what "ecovalor" is though!

As for 4 months, you've obviously selected some options, I don't know why Portugal works so badly with new cars in this respect, select a car that's not white, black or silver and you'll wait months! Add and ashtray and that's another month!
Ecovalor is related to the tyres ! A means of covering the cost of handling and recycling of old tyres. It is a separate amount depending on the type of tyre and must be shown in the invoice. About €1,20 a tyre for a car.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

fergus is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't worry too much about the wait for the car. You should be able to get a good deal from a car hire company now it is winter. Hire the car for 3 or 4 months and you can expect to pay about €350 per month. That will include insurance and maintenance and replacement if it breaks down, etc.

Once the spring comes the price will rise but by then your new car should have arrived. Or, you might do long term hire whist you find another dealer than can deliver sooner.

Lots of others have done this monthly rental in the winter months.
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

We paid the deposit on a new car from a dealership at the beginning of October and the delivery date is the end of January.
Apparently it's coming from Romania.
No add ons or extras really, just the basic model in white.

There were a lot of add ons to the base price though. The taxes weren't included in the price online and that put a few thousand onto it.
valor base 11,885€
ISV 1,708€
Admin 975€
IVA 3,350€

Total 17,919€
Old Nov 28th 2017, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

I've finally managed to get a modicum of sense out of a dealer.

I gave up on one completely who told me repeatedly that it's not possible to order a new car to my specification in Portugal. He insisted that I could buy a white model in the showroom without any of the extras I want for the same price!! Heavens above! I ended up emailing the main Portugal office for the brand and asking why they bother to have showrooms at all if you can't order what you want? I pretty quickly got a call back but ignored it as I'm not giving them my cash.

I've now settled on the car I want and after much to-ing and fro-ing with emails, I've squeezed out the information that I can order what I want, albeit I'll have a 3 month wait. I can of course, I'm told, buy the white one in the showroom and have it at once

I'm flying over next week to complete my house purchase so will be going to the dealer to see what I can do face to face. I think he'll have a shock as despite telling him several times I'm female, he insists on referring to me as 'Mr'
Old Nov 28th 2017, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

'Mr Cherrypop'

The gender confusion thing might well be Google translate confusion rather than his.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mfesharne
'Mr Cherrypop'

The gender confusion thing might well be Google translate confusion rather than his.
Possibly, although his English seems pretty good - good enough to understand 'I'm actually a lady not a man'
Old Nov 28th 2017, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest trying to sell the one from stock rather than order is not specific to Portugal, it is something we do in UK.

It all relates to stocking charges, write down etc.

Salesmen are often incentivised to clear stock which may have been at the dealership for some time.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

If your name was "Cherrypopper" I could understand the confusion!