Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Improving NOS internet speed (in the evening)

Improving NOS internet speed (in the evening)

Old Mar 3rd 2020, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

stormwatcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Improving NOS internet speed (in the evening)

Hey all.
Just moved to Portugal. I'm in the beautiful North (just above Coimbra)
Very remote house so we have one of those NOS "dishes" on the outside of our house.
I'm guessing that is using the 4g network.

(to be expected) Problem is that in the evening, I guess when everyone is watching Netflix, the speed goes down considerably.
Is there anything at all that can be done? I've read some local sites that offer external antennae etc, but I'm wondering if any hardware is going to help mitigate the problem that there are just too many people hitting one specific antenna simultaniously (during peak hours)

Unsure if an omni LTE antenna would be any better than the dish I have now. I am assuming that the NOS techs know what they are doing and where to point at. I'm guessing there is only one 4g mast they are trying to catch.

Looking forward to your struggles and especially solutions

Last edited by stormwatcher; Mar 3rd 2020 at 8:53 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

Pgmills is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Improving NOS internet speed (in the evening)

I suspect that your internet signal is not being picked up by the nos dish. Normally the 4g signal goes direct to your router and the trick is to identify the spot in your house where the signal is strongest. Also try rebooting the router at night and or connecting to the 3G signal as this can often be faster at peak times.an antennae won’t improve your speed but might improve the signal if you have line of sight to a mast.
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

wow - I wasn't expecting that - thanks for showing me the light xD ... unsure why I was convinced that dish was also pulling in my internet.
my router is now at the "front" of the house, but there's big walls (like most houses in pt ?)
I would assume (but we know now I assume wrong) that having an external antenna sticking outside my house to pick up 4g signal from as many sides as possible would be giving me faster (not just better signal) internet, but I guess I'm out of luck there.

That probably leaves me with one option > satellite internet, but it's a rental house and 2nd: I hear skype/slack calls arent well suitable on satellite due to the lag.
I read on algarve-connect that the house with the strongest signal gets allocated the most bandwidth tho, so according to them (unsure if true) you can in theory up your speed by bettering your signal.

Last edited by stormwatcher; Mar 3rd 2020 at 11:02 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2020, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

Pgmills is an unknown quantity at this point

Take your router outside, ideally on the roof, and do a speed test to see if it is a wall problem. I have my router by a window which avoids the wall thickness issue. Also log in to your router and switch to 3G to see if that gets a better speed.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

Ajmandon is an unknown quantity at this point

It is not unusual for all internet speeds to drop at peak times, particularly 3G/4G .... just wait 'till the summer when holidaymakers return!...Not a lot can normally be done about this if you already have a properly aligned external aerial which picks up a half decent signal and speed off peak without exploring different service providers, their internet packages and any usage/speed caps, because the restriction is on their side.

However I am a little confused when you say "one of those NOS dishes". Most 4G aerials are normally either flat panels (omni or directional) or a pair of Yagi (directional) aerials (look like old style tv aerials with a central bar and loads of prongs). 4G aerials will have a pair of leads going to your modem/router. I am not aware that NOS brand/supply a dish type aerial for 3G/4G services. These are normally for satellite TV. In fact I don't recall seeing many, if any, commercial dish type external 3G/4G aerials. People have modified satellite dishes for 3G/4G but the panel type aerials are much smaller/more convenient/better.

What make/model of modem/router are you using?
Old Mar 5th 2020, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

barlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond repute

This sounds very strange. I agree with the previous post.

Lets start at the beginning.

1) The standard NOS Dish (parabolĂ­ca) is usually only for reception of satellite signals.
2) Are you sure your internet service is with NOS & is 3G-4G?
3) As asked above what is the make & model of your router?
4) Is it plugged into the wall via a phone cable, perchance? If it is is there any sign of a filter (Cream Square box) on the cable between the router and the wall socket?... or is it just plugged into a power socket?

With this info we may be able to advise more BUT don't get to excited about resolving this easily.

Old Mar 5th 2020, 10:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by barlaventoexpert
This sounds very strange. I agree with the previous post.

Lets start at the beginning.

1) The standard NOS Dish (parabolĂ­ca) is usually only for reception of satellite signals.
2) Are you sure your internet service is with NOS & is 3G-4G?
3) As asked above what is the make & model of your router?
4) Is it plugged into the wall via a phone cable, perchance? If it is is there any sign of a filter (Cream Square box) on the cable between the router and the wall socket?... or is it just plugged into a power socket?

With this info we may be able to advise more BUT don't get to excited about resolving this easily.
Good questions and I should have had more info in my original post but I wasn't at the house yet.
Now that I am, I can answer all of them.

1) I will probably concur here. The dish is probably only for TV, not for my internet.
2) sure about that. my router has a NOS logo. I also logged in to the router and Network mode is set to "auto" with currently 4g as the active connection
3) Make and model of router : B310s-22
4) plugged into the wall with only a powercord.

The only reason why I would purchase an external antenna is because I have read (on algarve-connect, but they may be paddling their business) that if you aim for a stronger signal , the tower/network will "reward" you with (a little) more speed.

Unsure if true.

I can still watch Netflix during peak hours , I guess that is more than some of you are getting ( I have read horror stories from the south ).
The owner of the house says there is a Vodafone tower right over the "mountain" at 3km away, would be cool if I could get that signal. Unsure which NOS tower I'm getting my 4g signal from.
I think from Tondela (I'm in Corte). Anyone knows where I can find an up to date map of towers or is there proper software to see where my router is getting it's data from ?

Cheers everyone for chiming in
Old Mar 5th 2020, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.opensignal.com/networks/...l/nos-coverage might help but you may need a phone on the same network to get personalised results from the app.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

barlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond repute

The router is a Huawei

https://consumer.huawei.com/en/suppo.../lte-cpe-b310/

Appears you can install external antennas on some models.

PDF manual here.

https://consumer-tkbdownload.huawei....AAAA%3D%3D.pdf

I assume that it has a NOS 4G sim card installed.

Can you test your ping, upload / download speed using speedtest.net & post the results here.

You may not be getting 4G. What provider is your mobile phone accessing?

As you say you really need to id where your nearest NOS Tower is.

According to this page there is no official nor updated map of mobile towers in Portugal,

https://www.gsmhouse.pt/index.php?showtopic=35197

So you will have to try and get an app downloaded on to your mobile & find out the direction of the nearest NOS tower & its direction.

You could try this app...

https://www.opensignal.com/apps#section-os-app

Walk around your house outside with you phone & check the location of the nearest tower (4th button on the bottom right). If it doesn't show NOS towers switch your preferred local mobile provider to NOS & Try again.

Once you find the strongest tower, check the direction and mount the router in the closest window.

See if there's any improvement.

Let us know.

Old Mar 5th 2020, 11:49 am
Just Joined

Here are the results from Speedtest, pinging a server in Madrid.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/9099728623.png

Keep in mind that I am not complaining. I chose to live here, closest supermarket is a 40 minute drive along a very narrow very bendy road
I've seen a lot worse speeds from people living this remotely in a mountainous landscape. I guess 47% of PT is worse off than me

I'm just genuinly interested if , by adding antenna's into the mix, I would be able to get more sympathy from my tower and it would possibly allow me to get a bit more speed. Especially in the evenings during peak times.

(note: I'm a freelance developer - so internet is my lifeline)

- will try the suggested app tonight when Berlin HQ closes down (5pm my time, 6pm theirs > one of the perks of living in Portugal. Got 1 hour more chill time in the evening)

Last edited by stormwatcher; Mar 5th 2020 at 11:56 am.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Okay... some good replies.
My next two penny's worth
The Huawei B310-22 is a good router and I believe will cover all the 3G/4G bands used in Portugal BUT as your modem/router has the NOS logo plastered all over it, it may well be locked to the NOS network and therefore not capable of being used on another suppliers network without unlocking. Not a problem if where you are, the NOS signal /coverage is okay. Transmitter sites are often, but not always, used by more than one provider and perversely even then you might still get a better signal/download speed from one over the other.

It sounds like it may be using the original little "rabbit ear" aerials on the back of the B310..if not you'll have to trace the aerial cables to find the little blighter...

If you are able to login to the router itself, you should be able to find some information on signal quality/strength and other good stuff ..... unless these are already in the "very good" category and you are using the "rabbit ears" you almost certainly will see an improved signal and probably improved speeds using an externally mounted flat panel aerial. Unless you know exactly where your transmitter is AND you have line of sight (as noted there used to be a number of sites that mapped all the transmitters but many seem to have gone...), then an omnidirectional aerial (mounted after doing some "best reception" testing ), would be the way to go. Not forgetting to set the "aerial" to "external" in the router settings. Personal recommendation would be Poynting but others/cheaper are available.

Old Mar 5th 2020, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Just missed your speed test data.......not bad given the description of your location!!! many get considerably worse or nothing at all!!! Though encouraging that it could be better! ....How many "signal strength lights" are showing on the front of the B310?

It also occurred to me that if your modem/router is locked to NOS it might have firmware that doesn't allow too much playing ...... e.g. you might not be able to select the aerial to "external".

If you can see that the Network mode is set to "auto" can you select "4G only" .... in auto mode it might drop back to 3G at busy times , maybe worth a try.

If you access the modem/router can you access the diagnostics page and can do a network/signal test?
Values for things like RSRP, RSRQ, and SINR et al give a much better indication of signal quality/quantity and will give a better idea of how much "headroom" an external aerial might unlock
Old Mar 5th 2020, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

I agree with AjMandon.

For where you are the data apart from the Ping result is reasonable.

I bet the router if locked to #NOS.

I installed a couple a couple of years back for clients in the Algarve.

If you stay in the area an investment in a Draytek 4G type router with an exterior antenna might be worth while. Might be cheaper in the long run!!
Old Mar 5th 2020, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

You guys are absolutely fantastic -
Thank you so much for thinking out loud.

Ajmandon
I was expecting those rabbit ears to be actual antennas sticking out of my router - but there are none (see pics below)
I only blurred out the ssid / password , not that anyone ever gets here ... the only visit I get here (just got) are a couple of goats herded by an elderly lady. Such a big change from that big city I just came out of

I just see it plugged into the power socket that's it - no rabbit ears (or I must be expecting something that it isn't) or external antenna.
I also screenshotted those network/signal values you mentioned from my admin panel. Luckily the owner of the house has no clue how to protect anything so admin panel was wide open.

It also looks like this router is ready to accept antenna's (see screenshot from admin panel)
I wonder if , based on my specs, you would be able to tell me which Poynting antenna I could get that woud be compatible with my router / setup.
I guess it should be omnidirectional altho for rural areas "they" often advise directional (if you know where your tower is)

barlaventoexpert Agreed - I am so remote that it even "scares" me a little bit. I'm really not used to anything like it. Have lived in densely populated areas my entire life. Pretty sure it will take an ambulance about an hour to get here. My heart better not fail on me any time soon
I also thought about getting a better router , but I wonder if there is actually a sim card in that NOS router that I can take out and put into another router.
Draytek 4g is better than what I have now ? Which exterior antenna would you advise?

I guess: If you are able to find out which tower you are using > directional and if I m not able to > omnidirectional is the only option.

back
Old Mar 5th 2020, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

Installed the app
Closest tower is in the next "village" - it very sometimes connects to the other one above that.
Planning to drive/walk there to see where the tower is and if I have an actual line of sight or if it is behind a hill (cant tell)

I did both NOS and NEO (weakest signal with 3% 2G in the mix even, NOS is full 4g) - couldnt get a vodafone signal.

Brilliant idea: Wouldn't it be awesome if I could get a sim card for both NEO and NOS and combine both speeds
Pretty sure I'm not the first to think about that. (edit: turns out I am not - there is even a device from TP Link that allows for this + there is a mobile app called Speedify that can combine 2 hotspots from 2 diff operators)

Last edited by stormwatcher; Mar 5th 2020 at 6:23 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.