Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Importing a Car as a NON Resident [ what taxes due? ]

Importing a Car as a NON Resident [ what taxes due? ]

Old Aug 17th 2018, 8:57 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Importing a Car as a NON Resident [ what taxes due? ]

Morning.
I notice a lot of postings re how to import a car as a new / permanent Resident ( thus avoiding some of the taxes otherwise due).

Could anyone advise as to APPROX what taxes, in total, would be due when importing a car as a NON-Resident ( but owner of a property and possessor of a Fiscal Number ) please ?

I stress, for the avoidance of doubt. I am NOT seeking to avoid the tax due, just to get an approximate idea of what the taxes might be if I decide to import my secondary car from the UK at some time before April next year.

The car is a 12 year old ( first reg 2006 ) Clio automatic. I think it is 1600 cc. It cost £3,000 earlier this year

I know I know the answer will be don't waste your time or money but I have my reasons for thinking about doing this : not least that the car is in excellent condition, not many miles, and my mechanic reckons it could go on reliably for several years.

So ~anyone have any idea as to roughly what the total tax bill would be ?

And also, can anyone recommend someone in the Algarve who does all the fiddle faddle with the Alf ndega people , for a fee, obv.. ?
Old Aug 17th 2018, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing a Car as a NON Resident [ what taxes due? ]

Originally Posted by riv
Morning.
I notice a lot of postings re how to import a car as a new / permanent Resident ( thus avoiding some of the taxes otherwise due).

Could anyone advise as to APPROX what taxes, in total, would be due when importing a car as a NON-Resident ( but owner of a property and possessor of a Fiscal Number ) please ?

I stress, for the avoidance of doubt. I am NOT seeking to avoid the tax due, just to get an approximate idea of what the taxes might be if I decide to import my secondary car from the UK at some time before April next year.

The car is a 12 year old ( first reg 2006 ) Clio automatic. I think it is 1600 cc. It cost £3,000 earlier this year

I know I know the answer will be don't waste your time or money but I have my reasons for thinking about doing this : not least that the car is in excellent condition, not many miles, and my mechanic reckons it could go on reliably for several years.

So ~anyone have any idea as to roughly what the total tax bill would be ?

And also, can anyone recommend someone in the Algarve who does all the fiddle faddle with the Alf ndega people , for a fee, obv.. ?
https://impostosobreveiculos.info/in...taxes-on-cars/ There is a simulator to help you calculate duties and taxes.

Faotir in Faro did an excellent job for me.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

When you do that calculation for the matriculation fee/tax you also need to do another calculation on the same simulator to find out the cost of the annual road tax because it's calculated as though the vehicle was new at date of matriculation not at date of manufacture & the difference is significant.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 4:29 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the links etc..

According to the Simulador the I U C would be Euros 170, which is fine, but the Imp Sobre Veí would be around 5,000 Euros ~ is that possible ?
Old Aug 17th 2018, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
Thanks for the links etc..

According to the Simulador the I U C would be Euros 170, which is fine, but the Imp Sobre Veí would be around 5,000 Euros ~ is that possible ?
Yes.

The matriculation tax/charge isn't based on the value of the car but rather on age of vehicle, engine size & emissions & in some cases, just one day different in date of manufacture can make an obscene difference in how much you pay.

The worst example being from €6972 to €50011. - And that isn't a typo!
Old Aug 17th 2018, 6:28 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

I had thought it might be a grand or so in total...................

Unclear what the Portuguese State gains by having a tax so high as to deter ( presumably ) 99% of people from paying it.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 7:17 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
I had thought it might be a grand or so in total...................

Unclear what the Portuguese State gains by having a tax so high as to deter ( presumably ) 99% of people from paying it.
You cannot import a vehicle without paying it..
Old Aug 17th 2018, 7:44 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

Yes but my point is that at that level of taxation ( where the tax is twice the original value of the car itself) few if any people are going to bite that bullet and import the car - thus the State does not, in fact, get any revenue.
Or at least far less than if the tax were at a more reasonable level , so as to encourage more importation.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 8:18 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

It's a registration tax, applicable to all cars including those built and sold new in Portugal and it's what keeps the price of 2nd hand cars high here. Importing a car from a country where the tax isn't levied makes the 2nd hand cost much lower there - naturally this would create an imbalance if any used car from abroad were exempt from the tax or offered a discount. This is why UK citizens often refer to car prices in Portugal as "rip-off" (when, of course, they're not - it's merely a reflection of the fact that the cost of new cars is that much higher)

It stops the used car market in Portugal being flooded with cheap imports, or (as a PT government spokesperson once put it) having the country used as a dumping ground for the rest of the EU's unwanted old vehicles.

Last edited by Red Eric; Aug 17th 2018 at 8:21 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 10:25 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

So are you saying that a new Clio in Portugal would cost 5,000 Euros more than exactly the same car in France ( or Spain ? ) ?
Old Aug 18th 2018, 6:06 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
So are you saying that a new Clio in Portugal would cost 5,000 Euros more than exactly the same car in France ( or Spain ? ) ?
No, I'm not saying that. I've no idea what taxes and fees apply to cars in Spain or France.

What I'm saying is that it's not an import tax, it's a registration tax and it applies as much to used cars as to new on registration in Portugal.
Old Aug 18th 2018, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute

I looked into getting my vehcle and scooters imported and very soon ditched the idea, you have Clio, they ten a penny, so forget it. I have am immulate Corsa CDTI, of simliar years I bought for £500,,my only option, looking for someone to buy it for spares here. The EU always was a nonsense ripoff, the taxation system here confirms it. If you plan on staying, buy a local car LHD and if you are going back take it with you, or like my Corse it is a liability. Hiring a car is pretty cheap....
Old Aug 18th 2018, 6:55 am
Polished expat

Originally Posted by AllanB
The EU always was a nonsense ripoff, the taxation system here confirms it.
Countries determine their own taxes.
Old Aug 26th 2018, 1:27 pm
JC

John Cousens is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the calculator . I won't be importing my Caddy now. It will be a local rental or purchase due to the very large import duty . Another decision made .
Old Aug 26th 2018, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by John Cousens
Thanks for the calculator . I won't be importing my Caddy now. It will be a local rental or purchase due to the very large import duty . Another decision made .
You do realise that if you're coming here permanently then every adult new immigrant can import one vehicle tax free if they & the vehicle meet the required criteria?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.