Importing a Car

Old Jan 3rd 2023, 9:57 am
Just Joined

Finn McCool is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Importing a Car

Has anyone come across this specific problem importing a car.

As I have changed residency UK to Portugal I am entitled to import my car tax free. There are many rules and regulations but I comply with all of them. However one document I need is proving nearly impossible to secure.

I need an “Official document issued by the competent authority in the former country of your residence (with beginning and cancellation dates)” I have been resident in the UK for 39 years.

That should be simple - there is even a website on .gov.uk specifically for that purpose. It tells you how to apply and how to go to the Lisbon Embassy with £100 fee etc etc. However, it then it gets difficult for me. The online application requires a British Passport to apply and I hold an Irish passport. Also the UK embassy in Lisbon wont talk to me because I am not a UK national.

If I cant get that document I have to pay all the horrendous Portuguese taxes to import the car and that is not economical for my car.

Anyone any experience of this and more important any solutions?

Old Jan 3rd 2023, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing a Car

Surely though, as an Irish passport holder you shouldn't be using the gov.uk site but the Irish equivalent of that. You will be importing as an Irish citizen(EU) and not a UK citizen and maybe the rules applying are different.
Old Jan 3rd 2023, 10:57 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply.

The requirement is based on "residency" not nationality. That is the problem. The state requirement is for “Official document issued by the competent authority in the former country of your residence

Old Jan 3rd 2023, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Can I ask what the "official Document" is going to prove? Previous residency in that former country, taxes paid, or what, and what exactly is the "competent authority"? Would for instance evidence of your paying Council tax for your previous residency, or your Tax Declaration which would show you as resident in UK suffice? Are you importing it through an Agency and can they clarify what is needed?

Incidentally, we imported our car from Spain as UK citizens formerly residing in Spain and I do not recall having to produce any such document - just the vehicle documents as registered in Spain ... but then that is an EU country so that may have a bearing on it? and it was just prior to Brexit !!!
Old Jan 3rd 2023, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

In order to import a car tax free you have to have owned it in your previous residency for more than 6 months. The document is intended to prove than I did live in the UK for 6 months or more prior to taking up Portuguese residency AND that I have fully relinquished your British residency So far I am told by the Portuguese Automobile Club that the only "Competent Authority" is the British Embassy - none of the other agencies you mention would be able to do that or for that matter would want to do that.

Just wondered had anyone any direct experience of my situation.

It will be a shame if I have to scrap a perfectly serviceable car just because I cant get one document.
Old Jan 3rd 2023, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

One of the matriculation agents may have seen this issue before, iirc there's one in pombal who comes with plenty of recommendations, maybe search for them on the site.... They may be worth a call
Old Jan 3rd 2023, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your reply.

That sounds like a good idea. I am not too far from Pombal may I go there and eyeball them
Old Jan 3rd 2023, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

the one in Pombal is probably this one
http://www.organifacho.com/
email - [email protected]

They can cope in English if you have not enough Portuguese.
Old Jan 5th 2023, 8:36 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

What is the length of period of time that you were , in fact, resident at your last address in the UK ?

Assuming it was one or more years, you could obtain from the local council a statement along the lines as follows:

##
This is to confirm that Mr Finn McCool paid Council Tax on the property at the address...........x........
between date A ( when he commenced residency at the address ) and date B ( when he ceased to reside at the address and re-located to Portugal ). Records show that all Council Taxes due between that period have been duly paid.
##

The exact wording would be for an official in the Council Tax section to agree, of course, but provided it is accurate you might find one willing to co operate.

You might also obtain a similar statement from the HMRC. [ Have you not had to officially notify them of ceasing residence in the UK ? ]

You might obtain a similar statement from DVLA ?

In addition to the above suggestions ( which require the co operation of the relevant bureaucracies ) you might obtain ( for a fee, admittedly but probably not much more than £100 ) from an UK Solicitor a solemnly sworn Statutory Declaration the gist of which would be your dates of residence and the fact of ceasing residence on date X and relocating permanently to Portugal. All on official looking Headed Notepaper with stamps all over.

Whether the Portuguese authorities would accept any of the above as 'proof' may be a matter of chance , but worth trying, I would have thought.

Old Jan 6th 2023, 8:09 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply.

The Local Council is an interesting route. However I can not get them to reply as regards my partners cohabitation at our address which I need for her residency in Portugal - something far more important than a mere car. So that is a dead duck to start.

DVLA. Cant imagine why they would be interested in confirming residency. Currently they are more interested in being on strike.

Solicitor is possible but probably cost more than the value of the car.

Once again thanks for your reply
Old Jan 6th 2023, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

You need to ask the Portuguese customs what documents they will accept. Probably they will give you a list, or advice at least.
I've heard that some are obstructive, so maybe they won't tell you; but you have to ask.

When you know exactly what they want, you can figure out whether or not you can obtain them.
Old Jan 6th 2023, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply
That make a lot of sense. Any idea how to get in touch with that department o fPortuguese Costumes?
Old Jan 6th 2023, 1:18 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

The Irish consulate in the UK might well be the competent authority for obtaining the required declaration on departure.
Old Jan 6th 2023, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply.
Unfortunately while the Irish Consulate may wish to help they have no access to British civil records and would be unable to make any statement on my residency status in Britain.
Old Jan 7th 2023, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Finn - try this - https://info-aduaneiro.portaldasfina...lfandegas.aspx

or direct to Peniche - https://www.portugalio.com/financas-...ra-de-peniche/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.