Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Import car price difference

Import car price difference

Old Oct 18th 2021, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Import car price difference

I notice that the cost of importing a car from outside PT on low CO2 /small engined petrol cars is now pretty low.
So for example importing a 2015 Ford Focus (1000cc, 108/CO2 engine) from the UK, is now only €405....
Comparing like for like cars UK and PT (Autotrader and Standvirtual) the difference is between €4000 and €5000 even after paying the 400 import duty.
For sure in this example you have a RHD car,but for those that dont do many kms a year, there is a considerable saving.
But looking at the import cost of the same from say Spain, whilst only €163 import charge the cost of same car in Spain is only about €2/3K less than in Portugal.
But of course importing from Spain is probaly cheaper than from UK with transport etc.

Old Oct 18th 2021, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Dafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really nice
Default Re: Import car price difference

Import car

Keep up at the back !
Old Oct 18th 2021, 10:08 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

I was quoted over €8.000 ( yes, three zeros ) as Govt. taxes to import a 2006 Clio automatic. Petrol. Initiale model.

I think maybe just under 1500cc.

That was by Agencies whose job it is to do the importation fol de rol for people. I.e. they have no incentive to exaggerate the taxation burden. Both advised me to take the Clio back to the UK.
Old Oct 19th 2021, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
I was quoted over €8.000 ( yes, three zeros ) as Govt. taxes to import a 2006 Clio automatic. Petrol. Initiale model.

I think maybe just under 1500cc.

That was by Agencies whose job it is to do the importation fol de rol for people. I.e. they have no incentive to exaggerate the taxation burden. Both advised me to take the Clio back to the UK.
Yes for sure, they no longer like diesels and any big engined, high CO2, like my 2007 Vauxhall Astra 1800cc, 180gm car that too is over €9000 now UK is not in EU.
But the car I was quoting is a 2015 Ford Focus 1.0ltr petrol......so a pretty new car.
Old Oct 19th 2021, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever
Yes for sure, they no longer like diesels and any big engined, high CO2, like my 2007 Vauxhall Astra 1800cc, 180gm car that too is over €9000 now UK is not in EU.
But the car I was quoting is a 2015 Ford Focus 1.0ltr petrol......so a pretty new car.
I suspect you've not used the calculator correctly.
Your Astra, 14 years old from the UK (an OLD EU COUNTRY on the calculator) results in a result of €1713.22 whereas the same from a non (never) EU country would indeed be €9299.21.
Old Oct 22nd 2021, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Really bomber?
.I assumed that as the UK is now not in the EU the figure would be €9200.....what would make mine so cheap.....cause that car in PT would be over €8000 and diesel, in the UK best I would get is £1200 on a good day (if sun is out as its the Twintop version)