Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Imminent relocation from UK to Lisbon at short notice

Imminent relocation from UK to Lisbon at short notice

Old Nov 12th 2018, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Imminent relocation from UK to Lisbon at short notice

Not sure which part of Lisbon you've been to but English is widely spoken, at least everywhere in the city centre. *Everyone* under the age of 35 understands a good level of English and many speak it very well.
Old Nov 12th 2018, 6:35 am
Just Joined

TigerMartin is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much for your time and your answer. Since posting this we have discovered that we cannot get a reliable long term rental in the Algarve. ALL the contracts are holiday let contracts - even the ones that say they are long term. Which means that we can be evicted at 3 months notice, and I’m told that this often happens because the owners can charge whopping huge rents for short stays in the summer. I do not want to move my family to the Algarve and settle them into school only to be made homeless in the summer with no chance of affording the local prices. We have therefore decided to rent in Cascais, Lisbon initially whilst we take our time looking for somewhere to buy in the Algarve. Cascais rents are, indeed, eye-wateringly expensive (€3,500-€4,000 per month!) but at least that market offers proper 12 month or 24 month lease contracts where the owner cannot evict you early. There are bi-lingual schools and an expat community. It’s taken a week of relentless research to find all this out but as we are not able to buy a place for a year or so, we have decided on the security of a long term let. Thanks, all of you, for your help. Now does anyone have a house in Cascais they want to rent out? 😁

Last edited by TigerMartin; Nov 12th 2018 at 6:39 am.
Old Nov 12th 2018, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

For sure you can get what you want in the Algarve - everything is possible if you speak to the right company. Most of the better property management companies will go out of their way to help someone like you and will set aside some admin time to help with the relocation process too. I have sent you a PM with a short list of suggested contacts.
Old Nov 12th 2018, 9:00 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TigerMartin
Thank you so much for your time and your answer. Since posting this we have discovered that we cannot get a reliable long term rental in the Algarve. ALL the contracts are holiday let contracts - even the ones that say they are long term. Which means that we can be evicted at 3 months notice, and I’m told that this often happens because the owners can charge whopping huge rents for short stays in the summer. I do not want to move my family to the Algarve and settle them into school only to be made homeless in the summer with no chance of affording the local prices. We have therefore decided to rent in Cascais, Lisbon initially whilst we take our time looking for somewhere to buy in the Algarve. Cascais rents are, indeed, eye-wateringly expensive (€3,500-€4,000 per month!) but at least that market offers proper 12 month or 24 month lease contracts where the owner cannot evict you early. There are bi-lingual schools and an expat community. It’s taken a week of relentless research to find all this out but as we are not able to buy a place for a year or so, we have decided on the security of a long term let. Thanks, all of you, for your help. Now does anyone have a house in Cascais they want to rent out? 😁
long term rents ARE available in the Algarve but you will rarely find them via the internet, it's a case of " Shanks pony " arriving taking a short term rent and then canvassing all the agents.,
Old Nov 12th 2018, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

Ok, it looks like the Algarve is back in the running! Mr Bife has kindly referred me to a property that may take a long term rental with formal long term contract. It’s in Almancil. Anybody know what this place is like? Has it a bi-lingual school and a bit of life? I’m going over for a look-see weekend after next. Thanks to everyone who helped me. Anybody rate Almancil as a fun place to live, not too quiet?
Old Nov 12th 2018, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TigerMartin
Ok, it looks like the Algarve is back in the running! Mr Bife has kindly referred me to a property that may take a long term rental with formal long term contract. It’s in Almancil. Anybody know what this place is like? Has it a bi-lingual school and a bit of life? I’m going over for a look-see weekend after next. Thanks to everyone who helped me. Anybody rate Almancil as a fun place to live, not too quiet?
Almancil is the service town for the major golfing resorts - Vale do Lobo and others - beautiful properties running down to the sea , wealthy people from everywhere so town has suitable support, fabulous ( expensive ) Apolonia supermarket , one of very few in the country. Otherwise a medium/small Algarve town with full range of services. International school there : Almancil to welcome new purpose-built international school in 2017 - The Portugal News but only up to 11 years. Other international schools nearby , Vilamoura.
Vilamoura itself typical holiday marina environment. Bulging in the summer not absolutely dead in winter.
Convenient for Faro airport and a short run from new Ikea-sponsored shopping centre.. Nearby Loule also a pleasant town.
Summary - in the heart of the Expat community with all the right good quality services but it is the Algarve not Brighton.
Old Nov 12th 2018, 2:37 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Almancil is the heart of the " golden triangle " close to the most expensive and upmarket parts of the Algarve.
An area where many Brits and others in their home countries entertainment and media have second or holiday homes.
Hotels with luxury spas.
A new shopping centre which opened last year.
The area is the expat capital off the Algarve..
Old Nov 12th 2018, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Thank you guys. It sounds wonderful! Just up
my street!
Old Nov 12th 2018, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
Not sure which part of Lisbon you've been to but English is widely spoken, at least everywhere in the city centre. *Everyone* under the age of 35 understands a good level of English and many speak it very well.
Spent a lot of time in Lisbon Sherbert. Certainly most young people can speak English ! I am thinking of the sort of people they will have to come in contact with on a daily basis . ie service people, agents etc. They won't be sitting in cafes all the time.
We have just been trawling around the Algarve to find someone to make gates for us, Every single person we spoke to in four different companies did not speak English. and this is ex-pat central.
Old Nov 12th 2018, 5:34 pm
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by GeniB
Spent a lot of time in Lisbon Sherbert. Certainly most young people can speak English ! I am thinking of the sort of people they will have to come in contact with on a daily basis . ie service people, agents etc. They won't be sitting in cafes all the time.
We have just been trawling around the Algarve to find someone to make gates for us, Every single person we spoke to in four different companies did not speak English. and this is ex-pat central.
Have you tried the companies near Carvoeiro, once known as the Surbiton of the Algarve.
Old Nov 13th 2018, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

GeniB, good point: my only reference is 'daily life' rather than administrative/official business. That said, last time I was there, I was looking in a random real estate agent's window in Campo de Ourique out of curiosity, and was pounced upon by someone inside who had a whole set of English flyers and business cards at the ready for English speaking customers.
Old Nov 13th 2018, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Have you tried the companies near Carvoeiro, once known as the Surbiton of the Algarve.

No EMR , tried many other places though, including one run by a one handed South African in Messines. He also came with a warning that he could be 'excentric'
Latest guy recommended by our Portuguese / Swiss neighbours. He seemed keen to do the job ( only spoke Portuguese) but we have been here before
Old Nov 13th 2018, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sherbert
GeniB, good point: my only reference is 'daily life' rather than administrative/official business. That said, last time I was there, I was looking in a random real estate agent's window in Campo de Ourique out of curiosity, and was pounced upon by someone inside who had a whole set of English flyers and business cards at the ready for English speaking customers.
I have no doubt! Things have moved on in the last 3/4 yrs .Fuelled by Trip Advisor et al ,Many Americans and Canadians have bought properties in Lisbon. The whole city is changing fast
Old Nov 14th 2018, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

SaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really nice

Lagos, wonderful city. Been living here for 2 years. So much to do even in winter. My diary has never been so full.

You don't need to speak Portuguese. Big expat community. Private schools way much cheaper than in the UK but state schools are very good.

House much cheaper than along the central Algarve coast.

Wonderful beaches and close to the west coast as well.
Love it.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

SaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really nice

If you choose the Algarve I suggest you get a 3/4 month winter let from Jan to April or possibly May. There are a lot of holiday apartments/ villas that the owners are happy to rent out over winter at a highly reduced rate. This would then give you plenty of time to buy or find a long let.

When we first moved out we did a winter let from November to May. I found our let by searching.owners direct website for suitable homes ande messging the owners. Some weren't interested but many were. We ended up renting a large 2 bedroom apartment in a condo with a large pool for 500€ per month (excluding bils, gas, electricity, water). Just a course of hundred metres from the beach. We then bought a villa just around the corner.

We were apprehensive when we came out about finding somewhere to live. We shouldn't have been.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.