Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

I'm sorry....another question

I'm sorry....another question

Old Oct 6th 2006, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Tavira-Dream is just really niceTavira-Dream is just really niceTavira-Dream is just really niceTavira-Dream is just really niceTavira-Dream is just really niceTavira-Dream is just really niceTavira-Dream is just really niceTavira-Dream is just really niceTavira-Dream is just really niceTavira-Dream is just really niceTavira-Dream is just really nice
Red face I'm sorry....another question

Good morning

I'm sorry if I seem to be plagueing you all with inane questions and questions you have probably been asked hundreds of times before but my mind is still in overdrive on how/which way would be the best route to get over to Portugual permantly.

So here's the question:

How difficult would it be for hubby to get a job with english speaking builders in the electrical trade? he is a highly skilled industrial electrician here at home for Southern Electric, he hates 'housebashing' as he calls it but if he knew he could get work in the future with a british construction company I'm positive he would consider that....mind you when we were on holiday he was appalled at how the portuguese run their cables all along the outside of the commercial buildings and did say he could never work like that.

Please dont worry if the advice you give seems a tad neg because I NEED to hear all side of the story from the 'babes mouth' so to speak. I have signed up with a few other expat sites but feel a bit too intimidated to participate on those forums yet
Old Oct 6th 2006, 10:03 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I'm sorry....another question

Originally Posted by Tavira-Dream
Good morning

I'm sorry if I seem to be plagueing you all with inane questions and questions you have probably been asked hundreds of times before but my mind is still in overdrive on how/which way would be the best route to get over to Portugual permantly.

So here's the question:

How difficult would it be for hubby to get a job with english speaking builders in the electrical trade? he is a highly skilled industrial electrician here at home for Southern Electric, he hates 'housebashing' as he calls it but if he knew he could get work in the future with a british construction company I'm positive he would consider that....mind you when we were on holiday he was appalled at how the portuguese run their cables all along the outside of the commercial buildings and did say he could never work like that.

Please dont worry if the advice you give seems a tad neg because I NEED to hear all side of the story from the 'babes mouth' so to speak. I have signed up with a few other expat sites but feel a bit too intimidated to participate on those forums yet
I can only speak for where I live,Western Algarve near Aljezur.
Hundreds of builders here,all Portuguese or Brazilian,dont know of one english.
A guy who lives near me,moved over about 5 months ago,with wife and 2 kids,fully expecting to be able to find work,he is a plumber.
He cannot find anything at all,and they are probably going to go back to Uk as the money is running out.
One problem is there is so much new construction,and of course you get a builders guarantee,so any plumbing that needs doing,is rectified by the builders.We also have Romanians and Ukranians here that will work for 5 euros per hour,they are into everything,construction ,gardens,pools,tiling etc etc,and of course they all speak Portuguese.
Im sure there must be english building firms somewhere,I know Ive seen one on the expat portugal site,but he builds "up north"
Thats just my experience here,which is a tiny part of Portugal,so dont be disiilusioned!!!!
Cleri
Old Oct 6th 2006, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Tavira-Dream is just really niceTavira-Dream is just really niceTavira-Dream is just really niceTavira-Dream is just really niceTavira-Dream is just really niceTavira-Dream is just really niceTavira-Dream is just really niceTavira-Dream is just really niceTavira-Dream is just really niceTavira-Dream is just really niceTavira-Dream is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: I'm sorry....another question

hi cleri, yes, I thought as much but thats no biggy if he doesnt do his trade out there. as you know I may have to come out first for a few years and him follow later by which time the finances should be ok for us not to worry about 'work' as such ....hopefully i'll have a small business up and running anyway....was just trying to gather as many options together as poss

thanks again for all your kind advice

kazzi xx

PS. what's the karma button for
Old Oct 6th 2006, 10:52 am

hi cleri, yes, I thought as much but thats no biggy if he doesnt do his trade out there. as you know I may have to come out first for a few years and him follow later by which time the finances should be ok for us not to worry about 'work' as such ....hopefully i'll have a small business up and running anyway....was just trying to gather as many options together as poss

thanks again for all your kind advice

kazzi xx

PS. what's the karma button for
If you want to thank somebody for advice,or you totally agree with the post,ie think its making a good point etc you give whoever Karma points,it adds to their reputation and is signalled by the blue line under the name,the longer the line,the more karma they have been given,god that sounds as clear as mud
I would just add,that the successful people who live near me all work for themselves,quite a few make a good living,so its not all doom and gloom
Love Cleri x
Old Oct 6th 2006, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

thanks for that cleri, have just given you some karma, hope I did it right
Old Oct 6th 2006, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

oh I see I have a blue square under my name
do you get to know who sends you karma?
Old Oct 6th 2006, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

I have been using this site for months now and I had no idea what the "Karma" thing was!!

Regarding Tavira's husband..... "I think...so just my opinion"... that his best idea would be to swallow his pride and go house bashing for the expats and for expats resturants, bars etc etc Im sure he could get enough work this way to give him a wage. Anyone who knows anything about the difference between a British spark and a Portuguese one would be delighted to hire the British one!
Im not a spark but I was a electricians mate for the two years before I moved here which has given me some knowledge of the trade and judging by the electricians who are working on our new house im sure your husband has forgot more than they know!! Self employment is the way to go for him here as im sure he would not work for a Portuguese company for around 8 euros per hour?! I would have been glad to hire him for my house if he was already living here! Our electricains are getting sick of me being critical!!
I recently had to change all the wiring in my in-laws kitchen as the last so called electricians wired all the sockets with 1.5mm cable which has already caused two fires(socket for washing machine and other the microwave), just ask your husband whats wrong with using 1.5mm cable for sockets running heavy loads! :scared:

p.s electricians mate being a different name for electrical labourer!!
Old Oct 6th 2006, 12:31 pm

Yep go to My profile (at the top of the page)
and you will see who has sent it,I sent you some so you could see how it works
Thanks for mine
Old Oct 6th 2006, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by gedscottish
I have been using this site for months now and I had no idea what the "Karma" thing was!!

Regarding Tavira's husband..... "I think...so just my opinion"... that his best idea would be to swallow his pride and go house bashing for the expats and for expats resturants, bars etc etc Im sure he could get enough work this way to give him a wage. Anyone who knows anything about the difference between a British spark and a Portuguese one would be delighted to hire the British one!
Im not a spark but I was a electricians mate for the two years before I moved here which has given me some knowledge of the trade and judging by the electricians who are working on our new house im sure your husband has forgot more than they know!! Self employment is the way to go for him here as im sure he would not work for a Portuguese company for around 8 euros per hour?! I would have been glad to hire him for my house if he was already living here! Our electricains are getting sick of me being critical!!
I recently had to change all the wiring in my in-laws kitchen as the last so called electricians wired all the sockets with 1.5mm cable which has already caused two fires(socket for washing machine and other the microwave), just ask your husband whats wrong with using 1.5mm cable for sockets running heavy loads! :scared:

p.s electricians mate being a different name for electrical labourer!!
I agree Ged
The brits seem more comfortable using their own to do jobs.
TT had to teach me about the karma thing
Old Oct 6th 2006, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

thanks ged I sent you and cleri some karma but i pasted the link of the thread instead of a little message ....ooops I also sent JDR some and did the same so now I think I must write a little note in the box in future lol what a bozo I am!

Ps. been spending far too much time looking at portugal gallery too, lol our section already has more pics than some of the others that have been there a while!
Old Oct 6th 2006, 1:56 pm
---------

Nomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond repute

What's this a bloody karma party??
I've told you about begging for karma Cleri!!

TD - I'm 6'12 and wear pink underpants with poker dots. Dont suppose that gets me karma eh!!

Cheers

The omnipotent Nomad
Old Oct 6th 2006, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Nomad_H
What's this a bloody karma party??
I've told you about begging for karma Cleri!!

TD - I'm 6'12 and wear pink underpants with poker dots. Dont suppose that gets me karma eh!!

Cheers

The omnipotent Nomad
Dont believe a word of it Tav,he is 3ft 2 and wears goth clothes complete with whip,come to think of it,thats more deserving of karma Ha!
Old Oct 6th 2006, 3:30 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Pink pants eh..... these ones ?
Attached Thumbnails I'm sorry....another question-flirt.jpg  
Old Oct 6th 2006, 4:25 pm
---------

Nomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Pink pants eh..... these ones ?
No, mine are painted on!!
Old Oct 6th 2006, 5:31 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nomad_H
No, mine are painted on!!

looks like hers are too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.