Reload this Page >

Ignorant old twats!

Ignorant old twats!

Old Dec 27th 2008, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

local is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ignorant old twats!

Originally Posted by nigel.b
I wouldn't think of replying to you in Portuguese here even though you are very obviously a 'foreigner' in this forum.
You can pm in Portuguese if you want.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

PubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud of

Routinely people in hotels/restaurants/tourist offices etc replied to him in English, often pretty terrible English. What was going through their heads? 'We're in France. This person speaks good French. I speak pretty basic English. So I'll force the conversation into English.'
'We're in France. This person speaks good French. I speak pretty basic English, but if I do speak English, it should make him feel more comfortable.'

Shouldn't good manners come first?
They are trying to make it easier for you. Instead of you having to make an effort speaking their language, they make an effort speaking English instead. After all, they are serving you, not the other way round.

It doesn't even occur to them that you might take offense. They have no idea that in England anyone speaking with a foreign accent is a bloody foreigner and replying people in their own language is a way to make sure everybody knows it.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

Jon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really nice

When I am in foreign parts, I generally try to speak the local chunter. Often I am met with "You speak good (insert whatever lingo you want here) for an English person"
To which I reply,
"No, I am Irish."
"Oh I see" says the native, "That's explains it then!"
Try it for yourself!
Old Dec 28th 2008, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

nigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nice

I see what you're saying PubChampion. It still seems like a put-down to me when it happens, but maybe that is a very English interpretation.

I've gone on at great length about this. Time to shut up now!
Old Dec 28th 2008, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Exactly my point. I've taken the trouble to learn some Portuguese - it would be nice if people replied in Portuguese when I speak Portuguese to them in Portugal. I wouldn't think of replying to you in Portuguese here even though you are very obviously a 'foreigner' in this forum.
You need a trip up to here in the north as ery few people speak English
Old Dec 28th 2008, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

encodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant future

I see what you're saying PubChampion. It still seems like a put-down to me when it happens, but maybe that is a very English interpretation.

I've gone on at great length about this. Time to shut up now!
yeh time to close this one.
When's Christmas...must be soon now
Old Feb 7th 2009, 12:11 am
Just Joined

dragonflyblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Unfortunately Portugal has them too, my Portuguese is far from perfect and I know I make mistakes...but I always seems to be understood without any problems. But there is a ceratin mentality among certain old geezers (normally ex-migrants) who point blank refuse to understand what I am saying. Today I had one in the office while I was here alone and 2 other clients had to repeat what I was saying to him for him to understand (not translating... repeating what i was saying in Portuguese)

Is this just a problem in the north or other expats have this problem from time to time??

Ok...thats me...got it off my chest, Ged

p.s not all are so mean, there is some very nice Portuguese old ba$tards out there!
i know EXACTLY what you mean, the other trick i have learned that they find amusing especially when they are on holiday is to use portuguese slang words only used in there home towns, i worked behind a bar for a few months and i noticed that as soon as they realised i was not portuguese suddeny a small beer "imperial" became "Fino" to which i of course asked red or white (vino) or instead of asking simply "where is the reception" they would launch into a 20 ramble, Then act DISCUSTED that you would dare to work in there country and not understand every word they said, i learned the best phrase ever for this i cant write it coz my speeling in inglish is bad enough but it basically means, please speak slower, im learning portuguese but in the meantime, do you speak, any french spanish, dutch, german, italian
or english (they hate it if they think you are not just another english person too lazy to learn another language and they normaly start to act like normal human beings or storm off)

however i must say the brits are just as bad, one customer went bezerk when one of the portuguese staff didnt under stand that "yoke n rashers with a wide beer" ment bacon & eggs and a pint, ....... Im english and I Didnt have a clue what he wanted!
Old Feb 7th 2009, 6:51 am
Keep smiling

Helpful-Bob will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dragonflyblue
however i must say the brits are just as bad, one customer went bezerk when one of the portuguese staff didnt under stand that "yoke n rashers with a wide beer" ment bacon & eggs and a pint, ....... Im english and I Didnt have a clue what he wanted!
I didn't understand it either.
At least Easter will soon be upon us
Old Feb 17th 2009, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

local is on a distinguished road

I don't know to what portuguese you are used to talk/deal or work with, but I'm not seing any of portuguese act discusted because a foreign doesn't talk or understands every word we say! when is totally the opposiste as far as I'm concerned, cause I work with tourism, and it has been a lot of foreign people that come to talk portug to me, and me and everyone who works with me never acts discusted, that is pure stupidity. More over, we know the difficulty in learning portug, and we accept too well if they have accent or don't say something correctly etc. We never correct them only if it's the person that gently asks us for the correct accent or word.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 4:40 pm
I.T Expert - Algarve

scott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Unfortunately Portugal has them too, my Portuguese is far from perfect and I know I make mistakes...but I always seems to be understood without any problems. But there is a ceratin mentality among certain old geezers (normally ex-migrants) who point blank refuse to understand what I am saying. Today I had one in the office while I was here alone and 2 other clients had to repeat what I was saying to him for him to understand (not translating... repeating what i was saying in Portuguese)

Is this just a problem in the north or other expats have this problem from time to time??

Ok...thats me...got it off my chest, Ged

p.s not all are so mean, there is some very nice Portuguese old ba$tards out there!
HAHA
Old Feb 18th 2009, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

encodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Helpful-Bob
I didn't understand it either.
At least Easter will soon be upon us
nearly time for Spring holidays....lets get booking, sun, sea and sleep!!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Algarveaddick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PubChampion
Neither the French nor the Portuguese are snobby about their language.
The French not snobby about their language????

I thought they even had a ministry to "protect" the French language from Les Angalis?

Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

PubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Algarveaddick
The French not snobby about their language????

I thought they even had a ministry to "protect" the French language from Les Angalis?

The French elite may well be, but ordinary people are not. Everybody is happy to hear you try speaking French no matter how bad your accent. Even speaking English is not an outright crime, at least not everywhere.

Now try these things in reverse in England.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Algarveaddick is an unknown quantity at this point

I tend to agree with Nigel B, Pub Champion, in the UK we are used to hearing mangled English, and most people don't have fluency in a foreign language so the problem would not occur. I also agree that a bit of effort goes a long way, my French is not great, but I always try when I am in Belgium or France, and have never been offended when they talk to me in English, and have always found the people to be most accommodating.

In Portugal and a lot of the rest of Europe there is English everywhere, on TV, at the Cinema and especially in pop music. They are used to hearing it all the time. We do not have one prominent language that we hear in Britain all the time, so don't have the opportunity to pick it us as we go along. In most countries English is taught from an early age and it is the only language to learn, which one do you choose if you are British - German? French? Mandarin? Hindustani?
Old Feb 28th 2009, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Algarveaddick
In most countries English is taught from an early age and it is the only language to learn, which one do you choose if you are British - German? French? Mandarin? Hindustani?
It's a valid point, but it doesn't justify the snobbiness. The fact remains that if you speak with a foreign accent in England, you are a bloody foreigner whereas if you speak French with a foreign accent in France, you are treated as a human being. You remain a human being even if you speak English in most places in Europe, whereas in England not speaking English makes you a nonentity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.