Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

idiot next door neighbour

idiot next door neighbour

Old Jun 9th 2019, 8:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: idiot next door neighbour

Originally Posted by dingg
I'm not singling out portugal at all just stating my experience of today , the situation as it happened and what people have stated to me personally about coming to live here.

The facts are Portuguese dogs in the whole are treated somewhat poorly compared to how we from uk treat animals if you cannot see this you really do need to remove your rose tinted glasses.

I love living here but needed to do something today to sort out the situation in which we found ourselves today , but for my efforts of standing there and throwing buckets of water at the attacking dog and calling GNR I'm sure the small dog would have been killed.

Ps I'm sure other countries treat dogs much worse than portugal but can only speak from my own personal experience and this is the brits on portugal forum.

Goodnight Naaling
I'm sorry but its your view of the UK that is somewhat 'rose tinted ' here You only have to contact the RSPCA to find out just how many many more UK citizens treat their dogs badly ,from simple malnutrition, to using them in betting on dog fights, to beating the hell out of them.
This is a simpler way of life here Dogs have only recently been given the status of 'sentient beings' so it will take some time for the more ignorant citizen to come around to the idea that they can no longer do what this neighbour has done. It's now a crime .
Its not so unusual amongst foreign owners here either. When my YD was living with her then partner out in the country ,her Dutch neighbour allowed his usually chained up dogs off the line. They attacked and badly mauled their little dog. It ran away ,her half Spanish partner was all for leaving it to die in agony 'somewhere' . I helped her search for it, found it.and she nursed it back to health. with the help of our local vet. Ironically when they eventually split up ,he wouldn't let her keep it. It was later seen roaming the village he had moved too, eating scraps from bins. You can't make people care or change attitudes immediately... but yes this happens everywhere regardless .
Old Jun 9th 2019, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
I'm sorry but its your view of the UK that is somewhat 'rose tinted ' here You only have to contact the RSPCA to find out just how many many more UK citizens treat their dogs badly ,from simple malnutrition, to using them in betting on dog fights, to beating the hell out of them.
This is a simpler way of life here Dogs have only recently been given the status of 'sentient beings' so it will take some time for the more ignorant citizen to come around to the idea that they can no longer do what this neighbour has done. It's now a crime .
Its not so unusual amongst foreign owners here either. When my YD was living with her then partner out in the country ,her Dutch neighbour allowed his usually chained up dogs off the line. They attacked and badly mauled their little dog. It ran away ,her half Spanish partner was all for leaving it to die in agony 'somewhere' . I helped her search for it, found it.and she nursed it back to health. with the help of our local vet. Ironically when they eventually split up ,he wouldn't let her keep it. It was later seen roaming the village he had moved too, eating scraps from bins. You can't make people care or change attitudes immediately... but yes this happens everywhere regardless .

Post 15
Old Jun 9th 2019, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

Well done dingg for your act of kindness.
Why can't some just see it as that and not comment on who treats their animals better. The world is full of mean minded people who treat animals(and humans) badly. It was a kindness to an animal and let's leave it at that............. I hope that those critical would have done something to help.
Old Jun 9th 2019, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Naaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toots sweet
Well done dingg for your act of kindness.
Why can't some just see it as that and not comment on who treats their animals better. The world is full of mean minded people who treat animals(and humans) badly. It was a kindness to an animal and let's leave it at that............. I hope that those critical would have done something to help.
I'm not critical of what Dingg did. In fact I applaud his actions. What I take issue with is his attempt to characterise Portugal as a third world country.
Old Jun 9th 2019, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Naaling
I'm not critical of what Dingg did. In fact I applaud his actions. What I take issue with is his attempt to characterise Portugal as a third world country.
Thanks for the applause but any normal person would have carried out the same action in the same circumstances so its not needed tbh.

There was no attempt on my behalf to characterise it as a 3rd world country , maybe 30 years ago , yes , but pt has pulled itself around quite nicely in most regards.
Animal welfare is becoming more recognised too which is a good thing but it remains my opinion from what I see on a daily basis that they are miles behind the first world nations on the whole in the treatment of dogs.

The 3rd world comment was actually what has been said to me by more than a few friends when they were informed we were coming here to live .

Old Jun 9th 2019, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

To those who may have prejudiced ideas about my neighbours . to put the record straight the man is a successful business owner bar/restaurant his wife commutes daily to lisbon as she works as a lawyer .

His brother apparently is taking care of the dogs whilst they are away for the bank holiday weekend.
Old Jun 9th 2019, 2:00 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

dingg, Well done for reporting the issue and saving the little dog - I'm not sure what those criticising you would have done in your shoes - and if your neighbour takes umbrage, tough - they caused the problem, not you. One question - did you call the GNR or SEPNA (GNR Ambiental), because it's the latter who enforce the environmental and cruelty laws (and there seems to be precious little contact between them and the "standard GNR). Just as with traffic violations, the "standard" GNR are just "too busy" to deal with issues that are devolved to other entities..... so if it was just the local GNR who came, you're lucky they did anything at all.....

30 years ago next week, I was married in Sta.Maria dos Olivais, Lisboa, so I have now been travelling to and living in Portugal for over 30 years and I know Portugal (and the Portuguese) fairly well. My wife would agree 100% with the comments you made - it is one of the reasons she left Portugal all those years ago and she is forever bemoaning the fact that the attitudes and behaviours she abhorred then still exist today. So, those jumping in to "defend" the indefensible should take a good long look at themselves - Portugal is still a relatively poor country with an uneven spread of prosperity..... and those who have money and power are no more likely to have "better" attitudes than anyone else. Indeed, it is only recently that the constitution - one of the most recent in Western Europe - was amended to recognize sentient beings as legal entities. Until then, a dog was the same as a table under the law - and you can't be cruel to a table. So, the law has changed, but it will takes years for attitudes to do the same......

There are Portuguese who love animals, just as there are Brits who don't, but if you consider a dog as a tool, or a peluche, not a pet, then it's unlikely that the dog's welfare will be a primary concern. I remember my BiL (a dog lover) smiling when the saw the Christmas campaign in the UK years back, "A dog is not just for Christmas". "No. no," he said - "in Portugal it can last all the way to the next summer vacation!!" and that is indeed what happened back then, hundreds and thousands of dogs abandoned on the roads on the way to the Algarve in August..... to be replaced by a new puppy next Christmas. We have two girls who were abandoned on our doorstep, so although things are better now, there's still a long way to go.

Last edited by macliam; Jun 9th 2019 at 2:03 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2019, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Question :- Do you / can you read the PT Press or watch PT TV
Old Jun 9th 2019, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks macliam , to answer your question I called 112 as that was all I knew to call , they eventually transferred the call to gnr and it was 3 gnr guys who came out , they knew the neighbour and his brother , whether in a good way or bad way I don't know, but they certainly got the brother to come and attend the situation
Old Jun 9th 2019, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Naaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ingles
Question :- Do you / can you read the PT Press or watch PT TV
Is it any worse than the British press or TV?

Have you ever lived in a real third world country?
Old Jun 9th 2019, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
dingg, Well done for reporting the issue and saving the little dog - I'm not sure what those criticising you would have done in your shoes - and if your neighbour takes umbrage, tough - they caused the problem, not you. One question - did you call the GNR or SEPNA (GNR Ambiental), because it's the latter who enforce the environmental and cruelty laws (and there seems to be precious little contact between them and the "standard GNR). Just as with traffic violations, the "standard" GNR are just "too busy" to deal with issues that are devolved to other entities..... so if it was just the local GNR who came, you're lucky they did anything at all.....

30 years ago next week, I was married in Sta.Maria dos Olivais, Lisboa, so I have now been travelling to and living in Portugal for over 30 years and I know Portugal (and the Portuguese) fairly well. My wife would agree 100% with the comments you made - it is one of the reasons she left Portugal all those years ago and she is forever bemoaning the fact that the attitudes and behaviours she abhorred then still exist today. So, those jumping in to "defend" the indefensible should take a good long look at themselves - Portugal is still a relatively poor country with an uneven spread of prosperity..... and those who have money and power are no more likely to have "better" attitudes than anyone else. Indeed, it is only recently that the constitution - one of the most recent in Western Europe - was amended to recognize sentient beings as legal entities. Until then, a dog was the same as a table under the law - and you can't be cruel to a table. So, the law has changed, but it will takes years for attitudes to do the same......

There are Portuguese who love animals, just as there are Brits who don't, but if you consider a dog as a tool, or a peluche, not a pet, then it's unlikely that the dog's welfare will be a primary concern. I remember my BiL (a dog lover) smiling when the saw the Christmas campaign in the UK years back, "A dog is not just for Christmas". "No. no," he said - "in Portugal it can last all the way to the next summer vacation!!" and that is indeed what happened back then, hundreds and thousands of dogs abandoned on the roads on the way to the Algarve in August..... to be replaced by a new puppy next Christmas. We have two girls who were abandoned on our doorstep, so although things are better now, there's still a long way to go.
Excellent post.

Old Jun 9th 2019, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

+1

I also applaud Dingg for intervening .. Altho I am not sure I would have made it so personal in the criticism of his neighbour. Diplomacy is everything when you are the foreigner in someone else's country. You have to box clever, and this didn't seem to be a particularly sensible way of dealing with the problem . I would have called the GNR because it is an offence to behave like this now. It must have been most unpleasant to witness this little dog bring attacked ,as I said in my post ,I have also been there and had to deal with the horrific consequences. However you now have to live with a hostile neighbour who will no doubt resent your interference in his affairs.
My post was about the comments on the Portuguese however

Last edited by GeniB; Jun 9th 2019 at 8:52 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2019, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Is it any worse than the British press or TV?

Have you ever lived in a real third world country?
No :- But if you did read or watch PT Press & TV you would realise the inherent problems that plague society
here ,that in my personal opinion do sadly push Portugal very close to entering "the third world status" level.

2nd question :- off no consequence
Old Jun 10th 2019, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ingles
No :- But if you did read or watch PT Press & TV you would realise the inherent problems that plague society
here ,that in my personal opinion do sadly push Portugal very close to entering "the third world status" level.

2nd question :- off no consequence
Yes there are problems in Portugal. I only have to talk to my Portuguese friends to know that, but to suggest that Portugal is "very close to entering "the third world status level" is complete and utter rubbish.
I have have lived in the "third world" and have experienced the difference. You clearly haven't and wouldn't have a clue what you are talking about!
If you live in Portugal, then stop insulting the country that provides you with a home!
Old Jun 10th 2019, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Portugal is not Third World. Parts of Britain might be !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.