Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Idea on where to live?

Idea on where to live?

Old Mar 28th 2018, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Idea on where to live?

Originally Posted by Ozpretender
Ya I wouldn’t be interested if the climate was like that.
I thought it would be a much more sun friendly climate year round throughout Portugal so I’m surprised and glad to have found this out.

Is Algarve much warmer location than Porto?
How do you mean noticeable gulf in standard of living?
Algarve definitely warmer than Porto and drier . Standard of living you will notice simply by looking at the cars in the street. All Portuguese cars show their year and month of first registration , wander through an Algarve town and you will see many old cars, not so in more affluent cities such as Porto and Lisbon. Also noticeable is the difference in the consumer environment - Porto as a sizeable city has several large shopping centres with upmarket stores, in the Algarve there are two , one near Guia and a new one at Loule. There are other areas you can compare and notice the contrast - basically though the difference comes down to agriculture and fishing in the Algarve compared to industry in the north.
Old Mar 28th 2018, 7:07 am
Just Joined

Ozpretender is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that some good points there.
Is Lisbon and Porto similar then in many respects both being fairly large cities and alps similar in regards To the weather?
Old Mar 28th 2018, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that some good points there.
Is Lisbon and Porto similar then in many respects both being fairly large cities and alps similar in regards To the weather?
No Lisbon warmer and a bit drier . Have a look at this :

Lisbon vs Porto Climate & Distance Between
Old Mar 29th 2018, 6:54 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Ya I wouldn’t be interested if the climate was like that.
I thought it would be a much more sun friendly climate year round throughout Portugal so I’m surprised and glad to have found this out.

Is Algarve much warmer location than Porto?
How do you mean noticeable gulf in standard of living?
The Algarve is definetly warmer than Porto.
Porto being a city I would think prices are similar.
25degrees here in the Algarve yesterday.
Old Mar 29th 2018, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

ricko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond repute

Porto has a very UK style climate. This time of year still very wet and definitely cold at night

I'm surprised by this.
How far south of Porto would you need to go to get a significantly better climate?
Old Mar 29th 2018, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ricko
I'm surprised by this.
How far south of Porto would you need to go to get a significantly better climate?
South of Lisbon, Alentejo coast or all the way to the Algarve
Old Apr 1st 2018, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ricko
I'm surprised by this.
Further north of Porto. At least here I can go walk abouts in July without running from tree to tree for shade.
Old Apr 2nd 2018, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Sure there’s more rain in the north but that’s why it’s green, temperature wise there’s a 2 degree anual average difference between Porto and Faro. There’s 90 days of rain in Faro and 147 in Porto. As for comparing to the UK, there’s 2500 hours of sunshine per year in Porto and 1300 in Manchester.