Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Idea on where to live?

Idea on where to live?

Old Mar 23rd 2018, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all
Default Re: Idea on where to live?

Flew from Porto to the UK yesterday. Northern PT had patchy snow while Spain was almost totally covered with snow from the PT border to the Bay of Biscay. Almost nothing over the UK.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

ricko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond repute

Ourique is north of the Algarve in a place called the Alentejo. Not the Algarve at all.
Completely different climate - can be very hot in the summer and also can be very cold in the winter. Not had snow, but quite a few frosts this year.
Flew from Porto to the UK yesterday. Northern PT had patchy snow while Spain was almost totally covered with snow from the PT border to the Bay of Biscay. Almost nothing over the UK.

From what you both say, snow in the north and 1 degree in the Alentejo, it sounds as though your winter is worse than in the UK.
This has given me a big surprise.
Is this the case for all of Portugal except the Algarve?
Old Mar 24th 2018, 12:11 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ricko
From what you both say, snow in the north and 1 degree in the Alentejo, it sounds as though your winter is worse than in the UK.
This has given me a big surprise.
Is this the case for all of Portugal except the Algarve?
Worse than the UK ?

Where do you live.

Last Sunday, snow and below freezing, roads blocked in the South West in mid March.
Anywhere on the coast or close to it will be much better than the UK.

Last edited by EMR; Mar 24th 2018 at 12:14 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

ricko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond repute

As for changing documents if you do rent places, I would be more tempted to register in one place then not change your residency documents after that or not register at all.

This would suggest to me, renting a place in central Portugal to give access to more of the country whilst searching.
What would be the usual rental period for an apartment in a medium sized town (six months, one year, or something different to this) ?
Old Mar 24th 2018, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

We're having a long cold and rather windy winter this year. It's normal to go down to more than that further up north. And yes, they get the snow too.

I think you need to do a little more research about the weather, climate and micro climates here before you decide where you want to be.

However, last year, we were sitting outside, this time of yer in shorts and t-shirts during the day.

The nights are colder here than the Algarve, but the days can and are hotter in the summer.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Last Sunday, snow and below freezing, roads blocked in the South West in mid March.
I live in the SW of the UK.
There has been snow twice where I live, but on each occasion it disappeared very quickly.
There was only one day that it affected traffic through the town.
In all, I think we've probably had about a dozen nights, in the winter, close to or below freezing point.
Overall, I think it's been a mild winter for my area.
At the present, it's about 10 degrees C, much better than the 1 degree in Alentejo.
I think you need to do a little more research about the weather, climate and micro climates here before you decide where you want to be.
I've read a couple of guides that had a few pages about climate.
That gave me the impression that there were cold winters only in the far NorthEast.
So I thoroughly agree that I need to do more researh.
Do you know a good starting point for this?
Old Mar 24th 2018, 4:04 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

I live in the SW of the UK.
There has been snow twice where I live, but on each occasion it disappeared very quickly.
There was only one day that it affected traffic through the town.
In all, I think we've probably had about a dozen nights, in the winter, close to or below freezing point.
Overall, I think it's been a mild winter for my area.
At the present, it's about 10 degrees C, much better than the 1 degree in Alentejo.

I've read a couple of guides that had a few pages about climate.
That gave me the impression that there were cold winters only in the far NorthEast.
So I thoroughly agree that I need to do more researh.
Do you know a good starting point for this?
Forums like this with comments from those who live in Portugal rather than charts.
The UK again has temps as low as -10 Forecast for Easter with more snow.
The Algarve a cool for us 15,16degrees , normally up to 20.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

The 1C remark was for the dead of night, not normal during the day. Although the wind is blowing a hooley today and making it feel cold.

We've used almost 2 ton of wood this year - unusual.

Mostly, it's cold at night, think about 8C, then hotting up to 20C during the day. Today, we only got to 14C, because of the wind. But it dried the clothes!

Where to look? Just ask on here, we've got people from most areas of Portugal.

There cannot be an average summer/spring/winter guide, as it's different every year.

My Portuguese friends say that this part of the Alentejo will have 7 year cycles of wet winters or dry winters. We've got 3 more years to go.

Although in saying that, 9, I think, years ago, it rained in the East Algarve every day from 22 December until 22 March. And not just a little rain - a lot!
Old Mar 24th 2018, 6:07 pm
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by ouriquejan
The 1C remark was for the dead of night, not normal during the day. Although the wind is blowing a hooley today and making it feel cold.

We've used almost 2 ton of wood this year - unusual.

Mostly, it's cold at night, think about 8C, then hotting up to 20C during the day. Today, we only got to 14C, because of the wind. But it dried the clothes!

Where to look? Just ask on here, we've got people from most areas of Portugal.

There cannot be an average summer/spring/winter guide, as it's different every year.

My Portuguese friends say that this part of the Alentejo will have 7 year cycles of wet winters or dry winters. We've got 3 more years to go.

Although in saying that, 9, I think, years ago, it rained in the East Algarve every day from 22 December until 22 March. And not just a little rain - a lot!
We were there that winter. .
There was a huge brown slick in the sea as the rivers that exit at Portimao stayed at flood levels for weeks.
Yet only a year or so before drought levels were worse than last year.
Nature seems to have its own way of balancing things out.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 1:33 am
Just Joined

Ozpretender is an unknown quantity at this point

There doesn’t seem to be much focus on the larger and more well known cities.
From what I have read they are very nice places, Oporto and Lisbon.
Do most here choose the smaller areas due to the lower living costs or is it because they actually prefer those areas?
Old Mar 25th 2018, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

We lived in Fuzeta for 10 years, owning for 12. Near Olhao, Faro and Tavira, so lots of things to see do.

But decided that the quieter and less touristy - and cheaper - Alentejo was better for us now.

We also wanted a single storey home and couldn't afford the prices in the Algarve.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Would that be due to the warming effect of the sea in the winter, or more because of an increase in altitude away from the coast?

Would places like Braga and Guimaraes have milder winters than the UK?
Old Mar 27th 2018, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Would that be due to the warming effect of the sea in the winter, or more because of an increase in altitude away from the coast?

Would places like Braga and Guimaraes have milder winters than the UK?
One of my work colleagues here in Ireland is from Braga originally and enjoys the dry winters we have in Ireland. Certainly mild there, but a very wet city from October up to May, you could say. Good thing is that rain keeps the scum away. Summer is summer of course.

Last edited by Moses2013; Mar 27th 2018 at 3:19 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozpretender
There doesn’t seem to be much focus on the larger and more well known cities.
From what I have read they are very nice places, Oporto and Lisbon.
Do most here choose the smaller areas due to the lower living costs or is it because they actually prefer those areas?
Porto has a very UK style climate. This time of year still very wet and definitely cold at night . Obviously milder as coastal but that brings the wind, not so pleasant. Lovely city but will be difficult to find any long term rental.
We prefer the Algarve although a noticeable gulf in standard , and cost, of living to places such as Porto and Lisbon.
Old Mar 28th 2018, 2:42 am
Just Joined

Ozpretender is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Porto has a very UK style climate. This time of year still very wet and definitely cold at night . Obviously milder as coastal but that brings the wind, not so pleasant. Lovely city but will be difficult to find any long term rental.
We prefer the Algarve although a noticeable gulf in standard , and cost, of living to places such as Porto and Lisbon.
Ya I wouldn’t be interested if the climate was like that.
I thought it would be a much more sun friendly climate year round throughout Portugal so I’m surprised and glad to have found this out.

Is Algarve much warmer location than Porto?
How do you mean noticeable gulf in standard of living?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.