British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   I wonder how many were sent to Portugal? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/i-wonder-how-many-were-sent-portugal-698790/)

Bomber Harris Jan 1st 2011 5:20 pm

I wonder how many were sent to Portugal?

It took a while for the authorities to catch up with them, I wonder how long it will be before some expats are going to get a knock on their door in Portugal?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Portugal.html

kyles Mummy Jan 1st 2011 8:28 pm

Re: I wonder how many were sent to Portugal?

I read this earlier today and in fact it made my day!!!

there is that many dodgy cars on the road in the algarve that if we can stop a few through these expats being caught we could be a little safer.

I was offered a dodgy mot a couple of years ago and turned it down flat, i feel much less stressed driving legally than constantly worrying that i am going to get into trouble.

kind regards

sam
X

DIFISH Jan 2nd 2011 9:40 am

Its about time.
The problem is that in this crazy EU, member states want their cake and eat it. There should be a common policy towards taxation across all EU states. especially on motor vehicles.
The excessive tax which the Portuguese government imposes on new vehicles is counter productive. Modern cars (less than 10 years old) are better designed and considerably safer than older cars. Antilock brakes NCAP safety features etc.
Because of high cost of even 2nd hand cars here in Portugal there are more wrecks on the roads both legal and illegal. This I belive contributes to the high accident rate on Portuguese roads.
Another factor for the high accident rate is toll roads. Most Portuguese avoid them unless they are wealthy. If the tolls were removed, more traffic would use the excellent motorway system especially HGV's. This would reduce traffic on many A class and single carriageway roads and also reduce pollution.
Obviously tax would need to be reviewed but in my opinon taxing fuel and road tolls are strangling the economy not only of Portugal but the whole of the EU.
:eek:Thats my rant for the day

Old Biker Jan 2nd 2011 10:58 am

Originally Posted by DIFISH (Post 9072086)
Its about time.
The problem is that in this crazy EU, member states want their cake and eat it. There should be a common policy towards taxation across all EU states. especially on motor vehicles.
The excessive tax which the Portuguese government imposes on new vehicles is counter productive. Modern cars (less than 10 years old) are better designed and considerably safer than older cars. Antilock brakes NCAP safety features etc.
Because of high cost of even 2nd hand cars here in Portugal there are more wrecks on the roads both legal and illegal. This I belive contributes to the high accident rate on Portuguese roads.
Another factor for the high accident rate is toll roads. Most Portuguese avoid them unless they are wealthy. If the tolls were removed, more traffic would use the excellent motorway system especially HGV's. This would reduce traffic on many A class and single carriageway roads and also reduce pollution.
Obviously tax would need to be reviewed but in my opinon taxing fuel and road tolls are strangling the economy not only of Portugal but the whole of the EU.

Just wait and see the rapid rise in accidents on the 125 when they start tolls on the A22 in April !!:frown:

kyles Mummy Jan 2nd 2011 11:03 am

When I chat to people they just cant face downgrading their cars, it is like the keeping up with the jones's senario.

So they end up either - being legal and getting a cheaper a car or they truly believe they will not be caught doing the illegal thing.

There is a couple of campsites in the algarve that expats have long term caravans at, with english cars, that they have had for about 4 years without any tax, insurance, mot.

It is really dangerous, but as it is so easy for them to get fake mots/tax documents etc the portuguese authorities wouldn't really know.

There was also another article in the daily mail about people not paying car fines in the uk, because they lived most of the year in the algarve/spain and they couldn't catch them.

It is about time there was a system in place with the rest of europe so we can stop this.

kind regards

sam
X

bigglesafloat Jan 4th 2011 10:33 am

If Portugal was in step with all other EU States then it would be easy to import your car into Portugal at a sensible price. Instead they continue to pay the Fines imposed by the EU which are less than the taxes they collect.
Dodgy UK MOT Certs are very difficult to obtain these days because the MOT business in garages is a large part of their income and to risk losing it is foolish.
Unless you are buying a new Portuguese registered car I do not think there is much legislation in force to stop the sale of accident damaged, stolen, 'clocked' or financed cars - so beware. Have you noticed (in Algarve) how many road side dealers are there one minute and gone the next ? I would treat any Guarantees with deep distrust. Speak to the previous owner if the Dealer will tell you his name and address.

sagalaut Jan 4th 2011 11:58 am

Originally Posted by DIFISH (Post 9072086)
Its about time.

Hear hear! What we need in Europe is a MOT system that can be applied to all member countries. After all it is meant to be a certificate of road worthiness and not a politically controlled paper issued by Joao Jobsworth.

bigglesafloat Jan 4th 2011 3:28 pm

Going back to the first posting on this subject I remember this guy's adverts very clearly and I am sure it has been raised in this forum before. If you have been through the UK MOT test in recent times you must have seen how impossible it is to give an MOT test to a car 1500 miles away - the darn machine is linked to Swansea as the test progresses !
If you fell for this scam you have only yourself to blame.

boobella Jan 4th 2011 4:12 pm

The Portuguese government are just as bad as the people who drive around illegal by ripping people off to put a car on PT plates, in some cases just because its the law does not mean its right.

Its simple, if it was a fair price to put a car on PT plates then most people would do it

gedscottish Jan 4th 2011 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by boobella (Post 9076904)
The Portuguese government are just as bad as the people who drive around illegal by ripping people off to put a car on PT plates, in some cases just because its the law does not mean its right.

Its simple, if it was a fair price to put a car on PT plates then most people would do it

True, but the mentality of many expats "I am not getting ripped off so I'll just drive my car illegally" is rather worrying and anyone running about with an uninsured vehicle etc deserve to get humped!

It is really crap(car prices here) especially if like me you are a car freak but I just think about the grey sky in Scotland....who mentioned cake & eat it?!;)

bigglesafloat Jan 4th 2011 4:48 pm

I agree that driving whilst uninsured is the height of folly in Portugal. If you accidentally killed somebody here you could be paying for the rest of your life . Even if the accident was not your fault having no insurance and being an estrangeiro you are going to be in trouble.
You can insure your foreign car whilst in Portugal but if it is not MOT'd in its home country does that mean the insurance is void. We know that it is no good having a Brit registered car with a Portuguese MOT but in the insurance scenario above I wonder what the 'local' insurance company would say ?

The_Hog Jan 4th 2011 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by bigglesafloat (Post 9077021)
You can insure your foreign car whilst in Portugal but if it is not MOT'd in its home country does that mean the insurance is void?

It can do.
Insurance companies are there to make money and they don't make money by paying out on claims. If they can wriggle out of a claim then they will.
If you read your policy it will say that you haver to have a current MOT. The UK is the ONLY country that has MOT's. Other countries have their own version of it.
So if your insurance company requires that you have an MOT you must have exactly that - not an equivalent.
Think about it logically. You can't have a Bulgarian registered car, Gibraltar insurance, Swedish cartax and an Albanian M.O.T can you? :thumbdown:

bigglesafloat Jan 4th 2011 10:58 pm

We are not talking about Bulgarians/Swedes etc - this is a British Expat Forum. It would be interesting to know if you insured your British registered car with that Gib company that advertises on local radio etc and the car did not have a British MOT cert in force would the insurance be void. I suspect Yes but perhaps someone in the business could reply . There is only one MOT test we are referring to because we are talking British expat involvement. I think we know that most other EU countries have MOT tests.

The_Hog Jan 4th 2011 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by bigglesafloat (Post 9077834)
We are not talking about Bulgarians/Swedes etc - this is a British Expat Forum. It would be interesting to know if you insured your British registered car with that Gib company that advertises on local radio etc and the car did not have a British MOT cert in force would the insurance be void. I suspect Yes but perhaps someone in the business could reply . There is only one MOT test we are referring to because we are talking British expat involvement. I think we know that most other EU countries have MOT tests.

Sorry, I thought I had answered the question.:confused:
I will rephrase the last line -
A British licence holder, driving a UK registered car, Swedish cartax, Albanian MOT, German insurance. Is that OK?
If not, why would a British licence holder, driving a UK registered car, UK cartax, UK insurance but with a Portuguese MOT be OK?
It's not a question of perm any four out of five, ALL five have to be correct.
I really don't understand the confusion.
I too wish it were easier but it isn't.
You want to use a UK registered car then deal with the associated issues with it.
You can't have your cake and eat it.

The_Hog Jan 5th 2011 12:05 am

By the way, an Insurance company may well take your money in payment of your premium but that is no guarantee of cover if you do not comply to their conditions of the policy.
Also, with regard to a Portuguese IPO test, they'll take your money (and test your car) but that doesn't make it valid. If you returned to the UK you would have to get your car MOT done immediately.
Finally, I have even heard of ExPats paying Portuguese car tax at the Finanças but that also means nothing. Again, they will take your money but you would still need a UK car tax as soon as you returned to the UK - and backdated to the date of expiry of the last one (or date of SORN).
So, if they wouldn't be valid if you were to return to the UK why do you think they would be valid here or anywhere else?