Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

I am new here: introduction

I am new here: introduction

Old Jul 17th 2017, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough
Default I am new here: introduction

Hi everybody,

First of all, I think this forum is fantastic.

I am Dutch but live in France for over 20 years.
My husband and I plan to immigrate to Portugal, to the Algarve.

We were there in February, but could not find a house within our limited budget .
We'll try again to find a small house at the end of this year. The main reason: we made the most wonderful walks along the coast between Lagos and Albufeira.
We like Portimao-center, because even in February it was alive.

I hope to learn and read a lot on this forum and try to give some feed back.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all
Default Re: I am new here: introduction

Welcome and I'm sure you will find more properties available as we head into winter.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 9:17 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pilou
Hi everybody,

First of all, I think this forum is fantastic.

I am Dutch but live in France for over 20 years.
My husband and I plan to immigrate to Portugal, to the Algarve.

We were there in February, but could not find a house within our limited budget .
We'll try again to find a small house at the end of this year. The main reason: we made the most wonderful walks along the coast between Lagos and Albufeira.
We like Portimao-center, because even in February it was alive.

I hope to learn and read a lot on this forum and try to give some feed back.
Welcome, small houses on limited budgets are not easy to find because of the high demand.
Looking inland but still within a short drive to the coast could give you a wider choice.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Apartments in Portimao are being advertised at astoundingly cheap prices.
Houses, maybe not so cheap.

Lots of Dutch these days, in the neighborhood and on the forum.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 6:54 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
Apartments in Portimao are being advertised at astoundingly cheap prices.
Houses, maybe not so cheap.

Lots of Dutch these days, in the neighborhood and on the forum.
But who wants to live in a tower block in Portimao?
Old Jul 18th 2017, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

In Portimao / Praia da Rocha are a lot of tower blocks.
We like the old town with the old tiny houses.
We prefer a house not far from the river.

We also like Lagoa.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
But who wants to live in a tower block in Portimao?
Someone with a 25,000 home purchase budget.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 9:28 am
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by liveaboard
Someone with a 25,000 home purchase budget.
That's not wanting,that is having to.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 9:40 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
That's not wanting,that is having to.
Not everyone has the choice.....
Old Jul 18th 2017, 11:02 am
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by macliam
Not everyone has the choice.....
Thats exactly my point, it's not what they want ,thats all they can afford.
Agents will tell you that many arrive in the Algarve with an unrealistic view of what they can actually afford having looked on the internet at the areas popular with the less wealthy Portuguese and not realising or understanding that there is a wide gap in price between the aspirations of some from overseas and the market.
It's a fact that you will get far more for your money if you look at areas not popular with foreign buyers.
The OP mentioned Lagoa an area which includes Carvoeiro and Ferragudo.
Areas such as Parchal , Estombar are much ,much cheaper than neighbouring Ferragudo.
Post code snobbery, no different in Portugal to anywhere else in the world.
Our Algarve home is in Carvoeiro but on the Lagoa side, walk up and over a hill and prices increase by as much as 100,000 for similar properties.

Last edited by EMR; Jul 18th 2017 at 11:05 am.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Within our budget (up to EUR 125,000) it is hard to find a house we like with 2 bedrooms and a balcony / terrace between Porches and Alvor.
Most of the houses are in Alte, Alcoutim or at the east part of the Algarve.

Because we won't be in the Algarve between May and October, we prefer to be in a village/ town.
We like Alporchinhos for example, but in the winter we would feel very alone.