British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Hunting season (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/hunting-season-927281/)

Rambling archer Aug 17th 2019 10:50 am

Hunting season

Does anyone know when the hunting season starts please.
I need to know when to keep mi ed down when out with the dogs.

toots sweet Aug 17th 2019 11:55 am

Re: Hunting season

From now till end of Feb. I read that it's Thursdays,Sundays and Bank holidays. I've previously noticed it seems to be noisier on Sundays. Keep inside after Sunday lunch !

ouriquejan Aug 17th 2019 12:14 pm

Yes, first day is tomorrow..

Rambling archer Aug 17th 2019 5:37 pm

Thanks for the info toots sweet,/ouriquejan
Is it all Portugal or is it different in different areas?

ouriquejan Aug 17th 2019 8:37 pm

All over.We have a very good friend who hunts foxes, as they eat his chickens. He won't kill anything else. Well, apart from boar, which he cooks brilliantly.

dmu Aug 18th 2019 6:42 am

Originally Posted by toots sweet (Post 12724062)
From now till end of Feb. I read that it's Thursdays,Sundays and Bank holidays. I've previously noticed it seems to be noisier on Sundays. Keep inside after Sunday lunch !

That's interesting, it's Wednesdays, weekends and public holidays in France. Wednesdays originally being to allow school-teachers to hunt on their day off!
I believe the season started on 15th August (Mary's Assumption) here, but I haven't heard any shots yet....

Sunseeker1st Aug 18th 2019 7:13 am

I am near Messines and it started this morning at sunrise, usually ends mid morning here. I have always understood the mid week day is decided by the Camara, Thursday for Silves but I think perhaps Wednesday for others.

Not so many shoot these days as 15 years or so ago as the license is extortionately high nowadays.

liveaboard Aug 18th 2019 8:05 am

I hear sounds like shooting all day, every day, coming across the valley from Alentejo. It's very irritating.
My neighbor thinks it's some sort of bird scare device on one of the big farms there.

zoff Aug 18th 2019 8:21 am

I'm near Porches in Algarve and I heard quite a few shots this morning and my poor dog was very frightened. What I don't understand is what are they shooting at. I never see any wild animals in the area except for birds.

Sunseeker1st Aug 18th 2019 9:11 am

I think it is mostly rabbits, perhaps birds, wild boar if you have them in your area. I went to Guinea, West Africa, in the 80s on business and we were served wild boar and sparrows ... I didn't eat a lot! :eek:

ouriquejan Aug 18th 2019 10:36 am

We have eaten wild boar here, .it's delicious.

Ingles Aug 18th 2019 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Sunseeker1st (Post 12724289)
I am near Messines and it started this morning at sunrise, usually ends mid morning here. I have always understood the mid week day is decided by the Camara, Thursday for Silves but I think perhaps Wednesday for others.

Not so many shoot these days as 15 years or so ago as the license is extortionately high nowadays.

+ They "thinned" them out several years back, by making them take a written test ,a huge number off the older hunters never went to school !
There was somebody not far from my place this morning using a "pump action" Shot Gun hunting the Collards Doves !

Sunseeker1st Aug 18th 2019 12:03 pm

My husband loves it, particularly Javali at the Alte Hotel, and I have had it but I am not really a meat eater, except chicken and turkey. But I do eat mince, rissoles, chili, bolognese, etc. :rolleyes:

Shanorme Aug 18th 2019 8:37 pm

Partridge, wild boar, rabbit and wood pigeon are shot in our area. Probably foxes too.

liveaboard Aug 19th 2019 6:22 pm

if it moves. kill it.
Then wonder why the bushes and brambles grow unchecked and create a fire hazard.
I'm a carnivore, I eat meat; but Portugal has been over-hunted for centuries.