Hunting

Old Jan 18th 2022, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hunting

Wild boar are going to be more wary of you than you are of them. We used to keep wild boar crosses; they behaved completely differently to the rest of our pigs. Extremely jumpy.
Old Jan 18th 2022, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

A few years old but this is in our part of Spain. They are only looking for food really.

Old Jan 18th 2022, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Moses2013
A few years old but this is in our part of Spain. They are only looking for food really.

https://youtu.be/xTBVhObLU08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-99qUc-fUw
They are cute - from a distance. Will they think my beautiful dog is food?
Old Jan 18th 2022, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bons
They will leave the dog alone but if they feel threatened a large wild boar could probably easily kill a smaller dog. Events like this rarely happen https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...his-dogs-italy

Old Jan 18th 2022, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

santaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toots sweet
We are in a rural/agricultural area. Have only seen wild boar once. They are probably more scared of us and (correct me if I'm wrong tend to keep away from open spaces and stay in woodland areas?). I think most dangerous if they have young ones .They definitely hunt around here but I think mostly rabbits as we can hear them taking pot shots mostly Sundays. No bother at all.
wild boar are out of control in my area,they have torn up everyones gardens in my village ,at the capela it looks like someone has gone thru with a plough
Old Jan 18th 2022, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Few boar here, I never see them but I see where they dig up things. We fenced our place, keeps the dog in, boar out.

There is much less hunting now than in previous years; my understanding is that the fees have risen and the rules tightened.

Rarely see a hare; myxomatosis killed the bulk of them I'm told.

People set illegal traps for boar and sometimes dogs or other animals get caught.

Old Jan 18th 2022, 12:34 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Three years ago we spent Christmas in the country near São Brás with our two dogs. We walked extensively - and one day were surprised to see a really big boar run across the road about 10 metres in front of us. Honey, the older girl, showed little interest, but Lucy immediately chased after it , despite us calling her back. She disappeared into the scrub and we thought the worst...... but 5 minutes later she reappeared, out of breath but unharmed. So I'd think your dog would be safe. They're big, powerful creatures - and can obviously do a lot of harm if the have the will......... but as has been said, they're more likely to run away.

Unfortunately, you will no doubt hear contrary views expressed - because like geckos spitting in your eye to blind you, newts and toads poisong your water and all snakes being deadly poisonous, wild boar are another fantasy monster in rural Portugal.
Old Jan 18th 2022, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by macliam
Three years ago we spent Christmas in the country near São Brás with our two dogs. We walked extensively - and one day were surprised to see a really big boar run across the road about 10 metres in front of us. Honey, the older girl, showed little interest, but Lucy immediately chased after it , despite us calling her back. She disappeared into the scrub and we thought the worst...... but 5 minutes later she reappeared, out of breath but unharmed. So I'd think your dog would be safe. They're big, powerful creatures - and can obviously do a lot of harm if the have the will......... but as has been said, they're more likely to run away.

Unfortunately, you will no doubt hear contrary views expressed - because like geckos spitting in your eye to blind you, newts and toads poisong your water and all snakes being deadly poisonous, wild boar are another fantasy monster in rural Portugal.
The human is often the threat. Speaking about toads, have the frogs been removed? https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2...care-away-roma Sometimes this discrimination is incredibly subtle; as discreet as a frog sitting on a doorstep.

Some Portuguese shopkeepers took to displaying ceramic frogs at the entrance to their establishments.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jan 18th 2022 at 12:49 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2022, 1:24 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

The human is often the threat. Speaking about toads, have the frogs been removed? https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2...care-away-roma Sometimes this discrimination is incredibly subtle; as discreet as a frog sitting on a doorstep.

Some Portuguese shopkeepers took to displaying ceramic frogs at the entrance to their establishments.
It's easy to dismiss some actions as "discrimination" (in a negative sense), from afar, with no context - but there are often good reasons why this exists. There is, without doubt, discrimination against gypsies in Portugal, however, it does not take much exposure to understand why. Whilst all generalizations may generally lie, a population who are plainly different and choose to live outside the norms of society are not likely to gain much sympathy when their interactions with "normal" people end in conflict - and the gypsy way of life leads to such conflict on a regular basis, unless such interactions can be avoided.

We have our own experience. A cart, travelling the wrong way down a highway, slammed into the side of our car causing extensive damage and then sped off. We had witnesses and one lad chased the cart to an encampment, filming all the way - and confronted the cart driver, who admitted having hit the car but said we "could afford it". Despite this, when the GNR arrived, they wrote up the accident report, but said they would not be following up the issue as they wouldn't get anywhere.... so advised us to claim on our insurance. That little episode cost us the franquia and, no doubt, an increased premium next time...... and it could easily happen again and again. But, if the GNR chase the carts off the highway, they are accused of discrimination....

So putting a few frogs on display to use people's own superstitions to deter them seems small beer....
Old Jan 18th 2022, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by macliam
It's easy to dismiss some actions as "discrimination" (in a negative sense), from afar, with no context - but there are often good reasons why this exists. There is, without doubt, discrimination against gypsies in Portugal, however, it does not take much exposure to understand why. Whilst all generalizations may generally lie, a population who are plainly different and choose to live outside the norms of society are not likely to gain much sympathy when their interactions with "normal" people end in conflict - and the gypsy way of life leads to such conflict on a regular basis, unless such interactions can be avoided.

We have our own experience. A cart, travelling the wrong way down a highway, slammed into the side of our car causing extensive damage and then sped off. We had witnesses and one lad chased the cart to an encampment, filming all the way - and confronted the cart driver, who admitted having hit the car but said we "could afford it". Despite this, when the GNR arrived, they wrote up the accident report, but said they would not be following up the issue as they wouldn't get anywhere.... so advised us to claim on our insurance. That little episode cost us the franquia and, no doubt, an increased premium next time...... and it could easily happen again and again. But, if the GNR chase the carts off the highway, they are accused of discrimination....

So putting a few frogs on display to use people's own superstitions to deter them seems small beer....
Totally agree and if they don't want to integrate and follow rules, they have to live with the consequences.
That is why I wouldn't be worried about a wild boar and the human threat is far bigger.
Old Jan 19th 2022, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice

The property we looked at was close to Silves and we did see what could have been wild boar droppings with dog paw prints where the dirt had been wet and dried. We did hear several dogs barking on a property a few hundred metres away. It was Sunday lunch so we may have missed the hunters by then. Have you seen any wild boar?
I am nearer Messines toward Algoz in the orange orchards and they are not allowed to hunt in them. I have never seen a wild boar in the nearly 25 years I have been here.
Old Jan 19th 2022, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice

Originally Posted by liveaboard
There is much less hunting now than in previous years; my understanding is that the fees have risen and the rules tightened.
This is true. I read some years ago the fee is around a thousand Euros and the hunter has to take a written test,

There are signs everywhere so it is best to look for a property with the No Hunting signs nearby. There is one at the end of our lane.
Old Jan 19th 2022, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sunseeker1st
I am nearer Messines toward Algoz in the orange orchards and they are not allowed to hunt in them. I have never seen a wild boar in the nearly 25 years I have been here.
That's interesting,, thanks.
Old Jan 19th 2022, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's interesting,, thanks.

If you look on Satellite view there seems to be very little forest there, so you will hardly see that many. Maybe that's one of the reasons why it is not allowed

Where we are in Spain they can sometimes be seen from the distance but a lot more forest close by.

Old Jan 19th 2022, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

If you look on Satellite view there seems to be very little forest there, so you will hardly see that many. Maybe that's one of the reasons why it is not allowed

Where we are in Spain they can sometimes be seen from the distance but a lot more forest close by.

Maybe, thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.