British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   How much do you pay for electricity? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/how-much-do-you-pay-electricity-793710/)

Mr and Mrs Apr 11th 2013 9:35 pm

How much do you pay for electricity?

Following on from the thread about EDP bills, I was wondering how much others pay for their electricity. We have a small villa a couple of miles outside Olhao and pay our electricity bill by direct debit. We visit it for one week out of every five and the only electrical item we leave on when we are not there is the fridge/freezer. Our electric bill is around €90 per month. Does this sound about right? Any input is appreciated.

mfesharne Apr 11th 2013 10:16 pm

Re: How much do you pay for electricity?

We have a 4 foot freezer & cook on electricity but have gas hot water & pay an average of around E100 per month.

You might try emptying & unplugging your freezer for a month or two to see how that affects things.

Dishin'upDigital Apr 11th 2013 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Mr and Mrs (Post 10654297)
Following on from the thread about EDP bills, I was wondering how much others pay for their electricity. We have a small villa a couple of miles outside Olhao and pay our electricity bill by direct debit. We visit it for one week out of every five and the only electrical item we leave on when we are not there is the fridge/freezer. Our electric bill is around €90 per month. Does this sound about right? Any input is appreciated.

90€ a month sounds excessive. Are you on a Budget account? i.e. pay a set amount every month which is 'corrected' at the end of the year. If so, you may be in for a tidy refund. One day... You can always check the meter readings yourself. Multiply the units used by about 0.15€ and add your standing charge.

newintavira Apr 11th 2013 10:52 pm

It sounds a bit much. We average about €90 a month, but we are here full time with heaters, aircon, washing machine, dishwasher now and then etc.

(2 of us in 2 bed apartment).

You'll probably end up getting a catch up bill with a rebate when they next read the meter, then your monthly payment will adjust downwards appropriately.

...or at least that's the theory...anything can happen with EDP :-)

Squidlydidly Apr 12th 2013 7:01 am

We pay 100 euros per month and have just had our leccy bill and received a nice rebate of 380 euros, the direct debit was automatically adjusted down to 68 euros but we requested that we carry on paying 100 euros, we never worry about turning the heating up if it`s cold.
Previously we had wood, gas and electric for heating/cooking etc but decided to go all electric with air con units for heating/cooling and we have an electric oven and gas hob and we use the electric clothes drier when needed. We are more than happy with our decision.

gedscottish Apr 12th 2013 10:17 am

Coicindently it seems we are all paying around 90€(me too) must be an easy number for EDP;)

If you are paying that and only living there part time... sounds like its way too much! Just curious do you switch you electricty off while you are in UK?(perhaps something is draining it)

Dishin'upDigital Apr 12th 2013 10:20 am

Originally Posted by gedscottish (Post 10655055)
Coicindently it seems we are all paying around 90€(me too) must be an easy number for EDP;)

If you are paying that and only living there part time... sounds like its way too much! Just curious do you switch you electricty off while you are in UK?(perhaps something is draining it)

Or someONE??:eek:

gedscottish Apr 12th 2013 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Dishin'upDigital (Post 10655063)
Or someONE??:eek:

Well if its a semi it could be exactly that!

Ingles Apr 12th 2013 12:06 pm

Not being a "sparky" I have to take a comment I heard years ago at cost.

On a refit site I was on in the Algarve one spark said to another
"better double check the junction box again as this one like the last one was leaking out thru the the same bad connection cable" ?

I don't know if this is possiable but I'm sure somebody on here will !

gedscottish Apr 13th 2013 12:00 am

Originally Posted by Ingles (Post 10655193)
Not being a "sparky" I have to take a comment I heard years ago at cost.

On a refit site I was on in the Algarve one spark said to another
"better double check the junction box again as this one like the last one was leaking out thru the the same bad connection cable" ?

I don't know if this is possiable but I'm sure somebody on here will !

I am no spark either but I would think there would need to be something to draw the current?! :unsure:

Compared to the UK though, Portuguese sparks do seem to have lower standards... piping for bathtubs,sinks etc with no earth straps & amazing the amount of older buildings that have no earth wires and sockets are only wired with 1.5mm compared to UK's 2.5mm! (in Uk we only use 1.5 for lights) oh and they don't know what a "ring circuit" is!

Campanula Apr 13th 2013 5:55 am

Having looked at Edp online my €31 payment is an average for the year so includes what you use when you are there such as sitcom heating fans etc. so unless you do a lot of that 90 seems expensive. Register on the site and put your own readings in.

Mr and Mrs Apr 14th 2013 3:06 am

Many thanks for all of the replies, I'll investigate further the next time we are out.

Cleri Apr 14th 2013 10:04 am

We pay 100€ a month,but that includes swimming pool,filtering on the cheaper night time electric.

Joao Apr 14th 2013 10:35 am

As a comparison I pay 43 pounds a month in UK which includes both electric and gas.
Joao:D

Mike Apr 15th 2013 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Joao (Post 10658064)
As a comparison I pay 43 pounds a month in UK which includes both electric and gas.
Joao:D

Yeah but you use twice as much because it is always raining and freezing cold! :p