Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

How much could you live on where you are?

How much could you live on where you are?

Old Apr 9th 2017, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

bethsmyls is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How much could you live on where you are?

OK, Portimao seems worth checking out too then, thanks. Faro didn't feel like a city to me, but it seemed to have everything you might need close at hand and great transport.

I used to be an addiction worker and am Chair of an addiction charity. I've written books about addiction. I have personal experience of addiction and dealers. Let's just say, I know lots about addiction.

Portugal decriminalised all drugs in 2001 - a good move for those needing treatment for addiction, because they are now referred to drug treatment rather than prison.

However, being caught with a small amount of heroin (even if you intend to sell it) means that dealers are not afraid to approach you on the street with a sample of their wares, even near the local police station.

I know a dealer when I see one. And I know proper drugs when I see them. I also know an addict when I see one and can usually identify what they're using pretty quickly. I did see addicts on the streets of Lagos, who obviously had not been caught or whom rehab had failed.

There may well be shoe-polish salesmen as well, but there was also definitely a drug issue.

They probably approached us because as we "look like we've lived a little" and are fairly young. Seriously, we got offered heroin as soon as we approached the main strip where the cafes lead off from the waterfront. About 7 times in 5 minutes. It was really unpleasant. Then, also later on when we were in the middle of the streets and had stopped to sit down for a ciggie.

It happened once in Albufeira too, although we were only there for a short time as it was like a living hell for me. Never happened in Silves or Faro, where we actually spent more time.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bethsmyls
They probably approached us because as we "look like we've lived a little" and are fairly young.
I've been approached twice in Lagos by what I assumed was a drug dealer, he just said "Smoke?" and walked away once I said no.
I'm 49, so not so young really, but I do have a reasonably big tattoo on one arm.
Maybe they think a tattooed lady is more likely to take drugs, but I don't.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline
I've been approached twice in Lagos by what I assumed was a drug dealer, he just said "Smoke?" and walked away once I said no.
I'm 49, so not so young really, but I do have a reasonably big tattoo on one arm.
Maybe they think a tattooed lady is more likely to take drugs, but I don't.
I have several tattoos, including one that goes from my hand and up along my arm. If they'd have read it, they would've realised I was not in the drug-taking market. It's actually a recovery tattoo!
Old Apr 9th 2017, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

I have several tattoos, including one that goes from my hand and up along my arm. If they'd have read it, they would've realised I was not in the drug-taking market. It's actually a recovery tattoo!
The tattoos could be what attracts the dealers then!
It is mainly just British women that get a lot of tattoos (that's me stereotyping now) and I guess they just falsely assume that tattoos are linked to drugs.
Maybe the more tattoos you have the more times you'll be approached
Old Apr 9th 2017, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

The tattoos could be what attracts the dealers then!
It is mainly just British women that get a lot of tattoos (that's me stereotyping now) and I guess they just falsely assume that tattoos are linked to drugs.
Maybe the more tattoos you have the more times you'll be approached
Maybe so. It's so funny though, as my tattoos are mainly about change and recovery. I have a blossom tree on my ankle/leg - a symbol of change and renewal.

I got my latest tattoo this January - it's of my beloved cat who died in December. It's quite big and on my upper back. Maybe a sweet little puddy-cat tattoo will finally convince them I'm a "good girl"who just likes body art and they'll bug me less
Old Apr 9th 2017, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maybe a sweet little puddy-cat tattoo will finally convince them I'm a "good girl"who just likes body art and they'll bug me less
I just don't think they look that deeply into it.
I think to them it's just Big Tattoo = Drug User.

My sister has a tattoo on her upper arm and she's never even been drunk, not once in her life, let alone used drugs.
She's been into Lagos, I'll have to ask her if she's been approached.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Then, also later on when we were in the middle of the streets and had stopped to sit down for a ciggie.
Other than the tattoos, the fact that you were smoking a cigarette could perhaps have given a signal that you would not be averse to smoking something stronger.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by teejaydee
Other than the tattoos, the fact that you were smoking a cigarette could perhaps have given a signal that you would not be averse to smoking something stronger.
I've never smoked, yet they still asked me
Old Apr 9th 2017, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

It's funny isn't it, really.I don't even drink alcohol anymore. My only addictive vices are fags and coffee.

In Camden, London, just down the road from me, it doesn't matter what you look like, you will always hear the mumbles of "Black hash" directed at you on the lock bridge. It is assumed that everyone who goes to Camden might be up for a smoke....No, some of us just like the market!
Old Apr 9th 2017, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

It's funny isn't it, really.I don't even drink alcohol anymore. My only addictive vices are fags and coffee.
So going back to your original question...

Fags and booze are cheaper than in the UK, you'll just benefit from the cheap fags though.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

So going back to your original question...

Fags and booze are cheaper than in the UK, you'll just benefit from the cheap fags though.
Yes, I know. I don't buy cigarettes in the UK anymore. Completely unaffordable. We do a ciggie run every quarter and bring back a suitcase full. This is entirely legal as long as they are for your own use.

It's actually one of the things that prompted the idea of moving abroad in the first place. (Not the cheap fags!) We usually pick sunny places when we go away in winter and autumn and I noticed my symptoms do improve with a bit of sun.

There has been a link between many neurological conditions and Vitamin D deficiency. I know the sun won't make me completely better (my illness is a bit more complex than that), but anything I can do to improve my symptoms and quality of life has got to be good.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

For a large proportion of the year Portugal enjoys an airstream from the SW, or S which means the airstream itself is from the south Atlantic. There are no polluting land masses between continental Europe and Antarctica.

Portugal therefore (on a good day) has the freshest, cleanest air in Europe.

That in itself should improve anyone's quality of life without the need to add back smoke and tar !
Old Apr 10th 2017, 8:23 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrBife
For a large proportion of the year Portugal enjoys an airstream from the SW, or S which means the airstream itself is from the south Atlantic. There are no polluting land masses between continental Europe and Antarctica.

Portugal therefore (on a good day) has the freshest, cleanest air in Europe.

That in itself should improve anyone's quality of life without the need to add back smoke and tar !
110% agree, the first thing we notice on returning to the UK is just how dull it us, even some of those around us.
The bright sun brings out the best in people although looking at some of the lobsters around this weekend many tourists just do not realise how strong the sun can be in April.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Thank you, MrBife. Good to know.My OH is thinking of giving up smoking at some point. He gave up drinking, largely for me. So if he does give up smoking, I may have to do the same for him.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EMR
110% agree, the first thing we notice on returning to the UK is just how dull it us, even some of those around us.
The bright sun brings out the best in people although looking at some of the lobsters around this weekend many tourists just do not realise how strong the sun can be in April.
I tend to go lobsterish across my nose for a couple of days of strong sun, but after that, I'm fine. My dad's side has Jewish roots, so we are not as white as that. I've often been asked if I have Egyptian or Greek roots - or Portuguese funnily enough.

Yesterday it was really sunny here in London (for once), but I think because people aren't used to it, they all seemed a bit irritated.

There was a lot of beeping from people stuck in cars in a jam around the roadworks! I love the sun though - I think I have a touch of SAD. Although I
prefer it warmer, the winter sun on a cold day here is much nicer than the grey-grey-grey...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.