Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

How long does it take?

How long does it take?

Old Dec 7th 2016, 8:07 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long does it take?

Originally Posted by hottoddy
Oh yeah fancy shrek jumping up on your bed in the morning to wake you up.
Shrek isn't a donkey - Donkey is a donkey........

However, if you check the meaning of the Portuguese expression, you'll find it's the equivalent of "You can't teach an old dog new tricks", which answers your question.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 8:30 pm
Banned

hottoddy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by macliam
Shrek isn't a donkey - Donkey is a donkey........

However, if you check the meaning of the Portuguese expression, you'll find it's the equivalent of "You can't teach an old dog new tricks", which answers your question.
Yes i know that shrek is that green troll thing that likes doing despicable things in bog ponds.But i had to term my comment the way i did because shrek donkey is very talkative especial first thing in the morning when people are trying to sleep in their beds .Regarding your dog comment in Portuguese i don`t read or comment now in any language apart from English.Because its against this sites rules and besides i am trying to get in BEVS good books
Old Dec 7th 2016, 8:57 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

When old dogs get sick and are suffering one can end their pain at the local vets.Wonder when this mercy will be done for incurable sick humans
Euthanasia would be a philosophical subject for The Lounge .
Old Dec 7th 2016, 9:18 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by BEVS
Sorry sorry sorry I will try to keep my post to shrek the talking donkey? Tried posting in the philosophical lounge.I never had one philosophical reply
Old Dec 7th 2016, 10:24 pm
`

Sorry sorry sorry I will try to keep my post to shrek the talking donkey? Tried posting in the philosophical lounge.I never had one philosophical reply
Perhaps the subject matter was not of interest.
That one might be if posted about in a way where other posters feel they might wish to contribute . It was a suggestion , not an act of moderation.

With The Lounge and TIO one settles in slowly.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 10:56 pm
Banned

Perhaps the subject matter was not of interest.
That one might be if posted about in a way where other posters feel they might wish to contribute . It was a suggestion , not an act of moderation.

With The Lounge and TIO one settles in slowly.
Well i should eventually fit nicely into the lounge being the very chilled out person i am.?
Old Dec 8th 2016, 6:26 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Or possibly in a separate thread on the Portugal forum as it was the subject of a petition to Parliament, has been evaluated by a sub-committee and their report was unanimously accepted by a Parliamentary Commission on 30th November.

The matter will be debated in Parliament during the first quarter of next year.

But you might get more takers for a discussion in The Lounge or TIO.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 1:39 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

.......Regarding your dog comment in Portuguese i don`t read or comment now in any language apart from English.Because its against this sites rules .........
So, let's get this right - according to you using a Portuguese phrase on part of a website aimed at expats in Portugal is against the rules, eh? So, let's look at the rule regarding language:
17. Language of Use
The language of use for this site is to be English only. Any “discussions” on this site should be in English, and any “discussions” comprising of a different language (or excessive text speech) will be removed. Exceptions to this rule are small one line inclusions of when it is deemed appropriate: such as language questions/discussions in the Italy forum, for example.

Therefore the use of this phrase does not contravene the rules - and it would be odd if it did as not all subjects can be translated without losing their meaning - perhaps I should talk about "Lagoon" instead of Albufeira, or "Alentejano Blacksmith" instead of Ferreira do Alentejo......

In my opinion, it is better for the site to promote the use of the local language in order to break down barriers and allow those resident in the country to fully enjoy its culture and lifestyle, but it won't work for all - "Burro velho nĂŁo aprende lĂ­nguas"..

Last edited by macliam; Dec 8th 2016 at 2:39 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 1:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... In my opinion, it is better for the site to promote the use of the local language in order to break down barriers and allow those resident in the country to fully enjoy its culture and lifestyle, but it won't work for all - "Burro velho nĂŁo aprende lĂ­nguas"..
The rule is clear and consistent with your opinion - words and phrases are perfectly OK, but entire posts and discussions are not.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 7:25 pm
`

...& it depends on the words and phrase + the reason for use. A phrase used to get around the sweary filter or mock another is not OK for instance.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 7:51 pm
Banned

So, let's get this right - according to you using a Portuguese phrase on part of a website aimed at expats in Portugal is against the rules, eh? So, let's look at the rule regarding language:
17. Language of Use
The language of use for this site is to be English only. Any “discussions” on this site should be in English, and any “discussions” comprising of a different language (or excessive text speech) will be removed. Exceptions to this rule are small one line inclusions of when it is deemed appropriate: such as language questions/discussions in the Italy forum, for example.

Therefore the use of this phrase does not contravene the rules - and it would be odd if it did as not all subjects can be translated without losing their meaning - perhaps I should talk about "Lagoon" instead of Albufeira, or "Alentejano Blacksmith" instead of Ferreira do Alentejo......

In my opinion, it is better for the site to promote the use of the local language in order to break down barriers and allow those resident in the country to fully enjoy its culture and lifestyle, but it won't work for all - "Burro velho nĂŁo aprende lĂ­nguas"..
Quite frankly i don`t care what language you continue to post in including double dutch. For me forums are just a place to exchange a few words in a lighthearted way
Old Dec 8th 2016, 8:01 pm
Banned

...& it depends on the words and phrase + the reason for use. A phrase used to get around the sweary filter or mock another is not OK for instance.
You see BEVIS if i may call you so.? Some people not mentioning any names complain when a thread changes course.But do i care if people comment about dogs learning English.Or people typing in different languages,NO I DON`T
Old Dec 8th 2016, 8:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... But do I care if people comment about dogs learning English. Or people typing in different languages, NO I DON'T
One is against the rules, the other is not.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 8:19 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Or possibly in a separate thread on the Portugal forum as it was the subject of a petition to Parliament, has been evaluated by a sub-committee and their report was unanimously accepted by a Parliamentary Commission on 30th November.

The matter will be debated in Parliament during the first quarter of next year.

But you might get more takers for a discussion in The Lounge or TIO.
Ah euthanasia the talk is back on and as BEVIS said its OK to discus such an issue in this thread i shall make an opinion.The problem is some people if this becomes legal will use it for their own advantage
Old Dec 8th 2016, 8:25 pm

Ah euthanasia the talk is back on and as BEVIS said its OK to discus such an issue in this thread i shall make an opinion.The problem is some people if this becomes legal will use it for their own advantage
Its "BEVS". I think you have confused her with your best friend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.