How long does it take?

How long does it take?

Old Dec 7th 2016, 12:07 am
Banned

hottoddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long does it take?

Does anyone know how long it takes to teach an older Portuguese 🐕dog English
Old Dec 7th 2016, 12:28 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long does it take?

Most dogs seem to respond to the tone and cadence of your voice, and so don't need to learn a language, they know well enough what they're being told albeit in a different language.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 12:39 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Most dogs seem to respond to the tone and cadence of your voice, and so don't need to learn a language, they know well enough what they're being told albeit in a different language.
Really like bilingual
Old Dec 7th 2016, 12:41 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hottoddy
Really like bilingual.
More like a polyglot.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 12:44 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
More like a polyglot.

Last edited by hottoddy; Dec 7th 2016 at 12:47 am. Reason: change code
Old Dec 7th 2016, 2:16 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

If you are adopting an older dog , then I think that is very kind indeed.

As for language, I would go along with Pulaski. It will be more about your tone in your voice and association with actions.

Keep it simple and use rewards to help .

Good luck
Old Dec 7th 2016, 6:47 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

My dog understands English and French and I'm pretty sure he'd understand any other language, depending on the tone of voice and action of the master. You could learn "come here", "sit", "stop" and other basic orders in Portuguese while waiting for him to become bilingual!
Well done, if you're adopting an older dog!
Old Dec 7th 2016, 7:18 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS

As for language, I would go along with Pulaski. It will be more about your tone in your voice and association with actions.

Good luck
That is so true, we always taught our dogs commands like 'sit', 'lie down', 'stand' using specific inflection and emphasis on part of the word, and, as long as you used the correct inflection and emphasis yu could say any word and the dog would obey, so you could get your dog to sit with the word stand just by the correct emphasis and inflection, as shown by Barbara Woodhouse.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

My Lab understands English, Zulu, Afrikaans & Ki Swahili but the problem with Portuguese bred dogs is none of 'em can be bothered to learn English!

Bwahahahahahahaha!

Sorry about that........ I just couldn't resist! lol
Old Dec 7th 2016, 9:33 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Less time than a donkey, because "Burro velho não aprende línguas" as the saying goes.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Maybe easier if you learn the commands in Portuguese?
Old Dec 7th 2016, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Maybe easier if you learn the commands in Portuguese?
Or alternatively buy it an English/Portuguese/English dictionary for Christmas?
Old Dec 7th 2016, 6:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by BEVS

Good luck
When old dogs get sick and are suffering one can end their pain at the local vets.Wonder when this mercy will be done for incurable sick humans
Old Dec 7th 2016, 6:46 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by dmu
My dog understands English and French and I'm pretty sure he'd understand any other language, depending on the tone of voice and action of the master. You could learn "come here", "sit", "stop" and other basic orders in Portuguese while waiting for him to become bilingual!
Well done, if you're adopting an older dog!
Well older dogs are less work tie one my tread-walking machine for 30mins job done. Exercised for the day
Old Dec 7th 2016, 6:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by macliam
Less time than a donkey, because "Burro velho não aprende línguas" as the saying goes.
Oh yeah fancy shrek jumping up on your bed in the morning to wake you up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.