Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

how do I become a resident

how do I become a resident

Old Jan 18th 2020, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how do I become a resident

Originally Posted by Euroguy
Richard, let's me & you just agree to disagree, so shall we & leave it at that!!
I assume you now realise that you were wrong to state that I had admitted inaccuracy. You have accused me of inaccuracy or implied inaccuracy by suggesting others are 'more' accurate but you haven't been able to identify an admission by me. If you'd like to point out an inaccurate statement made by me since you joined this forum, I'll happily admit to it.
Old Jan 18th 2020, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
So in other words........ in Portugal by 30th January 2020..................... Which is what I said on several occasions.

Glad we got that one cleared up.
other
/ˈʌðə/
adjective · pronoun
  1. 1.
    used to refer to [a person or] thing that is different or distinct from one already mentioned or known about.

Old Jan 19th 2020, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Another interesting topic for Brits in Portugal.
If you own a property in Portugal and are a resident for tax purposes, and sell that property during the next 11 months, will you be able to reinvest in the UK, to take advantage of the role over relief given?
Or would you be forced to either pay the 28% capital gain tax as a non resident or have to reinvest somewhere in the EU.

I would expect that after dec 2020 Brits will need to pay 28% tax on any gain made, with no other options.
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

orangeblossom is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your clarifications on being tax resident in more than one country and sorry for such a tardy reply, I've been offline for the last few days.
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

orangeblossom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Diddion
A couple of points from.the thread.

USS Pension
You need to check with USS whether it is regarded by HMRC as a a local authority/government scheme. If it is regarded as such, it will be taxable in the UK, otherwise in Portugal (in which case NHR will apply).

Personal Allowance.
A final caveat on this. It was mooted, some 4 or 5 years ago, that this might be abolished or altered for expats. If so that would probably have applied to rental income. It seemed, though, that the Pension income which is taxable in the UK would probably have continued to enjoy that benefit. It was not pursued at the time, and could return one day.
Thanks for these clarifications Diddion about pensions and UK personal allowance. Sorry to be so late in replying, I've been busy preparing my UK tax submission and not had time to look at the forum for the last few days.

I would contact HMRC to ask about the treatment of USS pensions before applying for NHR status. As it happens, due to family issues which have arisen recently, I would not now be ready to begin cutting my ties with the UK in 2020 sufficiently to be elligible to apply for NHR, which I'd have to do by this March, having formalised Portuguese residency at the end of last year when I stayed 3 months and thought I would be staying longer. Do I now have to inform the Financas or the Camera that I do not intend to stay resident, in order to avoid the Portuguese trying to deem me as tax resident in Portugal in 2020? I don't currently have any income other than my USS pension and AL income in Portugal which I already pay Portuguese tax on and declare on my UK tax return too. But my income status could change in the future. For the moment I need to continue to spend more than half the year in the UK. If I do need to inform someone of this and it's not either the portuguese Financas or the Camera, does anyone know who would it be?
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

Were you formally a resident, last year? Oh yes, I see that you were. This being the case, am I right to assume that you have a formal Residencia document (an A4 sheet with the EU stars)? Finally, do you have online access to the Finanças website, with a login password? If you have a Residencia and login, then you should apply online for NHR, if no login, then get one immediately and apply for NHR.

The reason is that NHR status continues for 10 years. But if, during that 10 year period, you are non resident, it is not cancelled. You just don’t get the benefit of it during that time.

Last edited by Diddion; Jan 23rd 2020 at 11:15 am.
Old Jan 24th 2020, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

The Telegraaph reported at 1013 hours today that all 27 member states have ratified the withdrawal agreement which means there will be a transition period until 31st December 2020.
Old Jan 24th 2020, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

The Telegraaph reported at 1013 hours today that all 27 member states have ratified the withdrawal agreement which means there will be a transition period until 31st December 2020.
FFS; Seems the Telegraph got it wrong............... This evening's news is now saying the EU Presdient has signed the WA but now all 27 member states have to vote to ratify it & only then will we be sure of th transition period.

I wish they'd make up their blinkin' minds!
Old Jan 24th 2020, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

meeting of all 27 is next wednesday I thought, only then can it be ratified
Old Jan 24th 2020, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

which of course it will be or they run the risk of the wrath of Boris !!!!
Old Jan 24th 2020, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Cortiz is an unknown quantity at this point

Given that it's been signed by the first EU hurdle, Boris, and the Queen, I can't imagine they'd block it - unless they just won't accept the changes Boris made, such as the child refugees etc.
Old Jan 24th 2020, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Euroguy is an unknown quantity at this point

I would post my thoughts on how child refugees are used as pawns in any immigration debate, but l believe we aren't supposed to get political on here.........................
Old Jan 24th 2020, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Cortiz
Given that it's been signed by the first EU hurdle, Boris, and the Queen, I can't imagine they'd block it - unless they just won't accept the changes Boris made, such as the child refugees etc.
Many a slip 'twixt cup & lip. lol!
Old Jan 24th 2020, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Euroguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: how do I become a resident

Many a slip 'twixt cup & lip. lol!
Put your cup down & read this latest info mfeshaky hands! ;-)
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...box=1579896422

Last edited by Euroguy; Jan 24th 2020 at 8:21 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2020, 8:16 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cortiz
Theydon't need to accept changes made between the versions of the Bills presented to the UK Parliament as those items deleted or otherwise amended don't touch on either the Withdrawal Agreement legal document or the accompanying political statement and were merely a vehicle for persuading waverers in a hung UK parliament to vote for the first version.

Their removal from the UK's Withdrawal Agreement Bill in the new Conservative overall majority parliament doesn't constitute an amendment to the Withdrawal Agreement itself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.