Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

How to cancel residency?

How to cancel residency?

Old Oct 27th 2022, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to cancel residency?

My situation has changed and I need to cancel my residency.
Is it possible and easy to do this out of the country? Online?
Thanks.
Old Oct 27th 2022, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to cancel residency?

Are you tax resident?
Old Oct 27th 2022, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shanorme
Are you tax resident?
Yes.
Old Oct 27th 2022, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh, I see, more complicated then.

Perhaps try contacting the Tax and Customs Authority and ask what steps you need to take?

https://www.iota-tax.org/organizatio...toms-authority
https://www.portaldasfinancas.gov.pt/at/html/index.html
Old Nov 22nd 2022, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shanorme
Ahhh, I see, more complicated then.

Perhaps try contacting the Tax and Customs Authority and ask what steps you need to take?

https://www.iota-tax.org/organizatio...toms-authority
https://www.portaldasfinancas.gov.pt/at/html/index.html
I contacted the former link above (who) advised me to update my details through my AT portal account. The reply:Regarding your question, we would like to inform you that AT is covered by the duty of secrecy and for this reason has created its own secure channel of communication which is the Finance Portal, through the e-branch application.

As such, any question you wish to have clarified should only be formalized through this channel, available on the Finance Portal, and you must access it with your Tax Identification Number (NIF) and password, selecting in Citizens > Services > Utilities > E-Attendance counter and depending on the subject you want clarified, select the appropriate options for the topic.

However, based on the assumption that you are a foreign citizen, not a Portuguese citizen card holder, we inform you that the request for change of address may be submitted in the following ways:

On the Finance Portal (the interested party must authenticate with NIF and Password)

o Through the e-branch, choosing in “Tax or Area / Type of Question / Question”, the following options: “Taxpayer Registration / Identify / Address Change / Individuals”. Any request for change of address can be submitted electronically, through the e-branch, upon request made by that means by the interested parties, accompanied by the necessary digitalized documentation....

... It is further informed that the AT does not cancel the registration/NIF of a taxpayer, due to the fact that the person concerned starts residing abroad.

Best regards,The Director of Services"

Maybe the submission of utility bill at the new address follows this updating procedure...

Old Nov 22nd 2022, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

I know from personal experience, that you can leave Portugal, have no PT property, sell up and reinvest in another country, pay CGT in Portugal, give them your new overseas address but still be considered a Tax resident of PT.
My advice is that you personally ensure that your PT address is removed from Financas.
Are you keeping a PT property as non actual and no tax resident, as a second home?
Old Nov 23rd 2022, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wellinever
I know from personal experience, that you can leave Portugal, have no PT property, sell up and reinvest in another country, pay CGT in Portugal, give them your new overseas address but still be considered a Tax resident of PT.
My advice is that you personally ensure that your PT address is removed from Financas.
Are you keeping a PT property as non actual and no tax resident, as a second home?
I have never owned a property in Portugal. I gather I can de-register as tax resident and change my address to an overseas one but I can't shed my non resident tax number.
I'm struggling to find the correct path in the AT site menus to change my address.

FWIW here's the unmangled version of the message:Relativamente á questão que coloca, informamos que a AT está abrangida pelo dever de sigilo e por esse motivo criou um canal próprio seguro, de comunicação que é o Portal das Finanças, através da aplicação e-balcão.

Como tal, qualquer questão que queira ver esclarecida, deverá ser formalizada apenas através desse canal, disponível no Portal das Finanças, devendo aceder com o seu Número de Identificação Fiscal (NIF) e password, selecionando em Cidadãos > Serviços > Utilitários > Atendimento e-balcão e consoante o assunto que queira ver esclarecido selecionar as opções adequadas ao tema.

Contudo, partindo do pressuposto de que é cidadão estrangeiro, não portador de cartão de cidadão português, informamos, que o pedido de alteração de morada, poderá ser apresentado pelas seguintes vias:

No Portal das Finanças (deve o interessado autenticar-se com NIF e Senha de acesso)

o Através do e-balcão, escolhendo em “Imposto ou Área / Tipo de Questão / Questão”, as seguintes opções: “Registo Contribuinte / Identific / Alteração Morada/ Singulares”. Qualquer pedido de alteração de morada pode ser apresentado eletronicamente, através do e-balcão, mediante pedido formulado por essa via pelos interessados, acompanhados da necessária documentação digitalizada.

Nos Serviços de Finanças ou Lojas do Cidadão

o O cidadão estrangeiro pode solicitar a alteração de morada, presencialmente. Este procedimento pode ser efetuado exclusivamente por terceiro se apresentar procuração com poderes para o efeito.

Mais se informa que, a AT não cancela o registo/NIF de um contribuinte, pelo facto de o interessado passar a residir no estrangeiro.

Last edited by campos; Nov 23rd 2022 at 10:34 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2023, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Could someone offer advice on whether this page on the AT site is correct for the change of address? Here is a translation:
---This page allows individuals to apply for registration as Non Habitual Resident (NHR).

Fill in the fields regarding the year of beginning of the registration you want, as well as the country of residence abroad (country where you lived in the last year). In order to proceed with the registration you must declare that you meet the conditions to be considered non-resident in Portugal in the five years before the year in which you want to start NHR status.

After your request has been granted and in the case of exercising one or more activities foreseen in the annex of the Ministerial Order 12/2010, of January 7 (as amended by Ministerial Order 230/2019, of July 23), you must enter in annex L of the IRS Form 3 income declaration, the code of high added value activity, and be in possession of the evidence of the effective exercise of that activity and proceed with the respective presentation whenever requested by the Tax and Customs Authority (AT) services, under the terms foreseen in article 128 of the IRS Code.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)"
( Here is the original - "Esta página permite às pessoas singulares efetuar o pedido de inscrição como Residente Não Habitual (RNH).

Preencha os campos relativos ao ano de início da inscrição que pretende, bem como ao país de residência no estrangeiro (país onde residiu no último ano). Para prosseguir com a inscrição deverá declarar que reúne as condições para ser considerado não residente em Portugal nos cinco anos anteriores ao ano pretendido para o início do estatuto RNH.

Após o seu pedido ter sido deferido e no caso de exercer uma ou mais atividades previstas no anexo da Portaria nº 12/2010, de 7 de janeiro (com as alterações introduzidas pela Portaria nº 230/2019, de 23 de julho), deverá inscrever no anexo L da declaração de rendimentos Modelo 3 do IRS, o código de atividade de elevado valor acrescentado, devendo estar munido dos elementos comprovativos do efetivo exercício dessa atividade e proceder à respetiva apresentação sempre que tal seja solicitado pelos serviços da Autoridade Tributária e Aduaneira (AT), nos termos previstos no artigo 128º do Código do IRS" )

Below, the only options on the drop down menu (ano di inicio) are 2022 and 2023. If one selects 2022, the field to the right auto-completes with 2031 for some reason.

Input greatly appreciated.

AT site screen grab, address change non-resident
Old Jan 2nd 2023, 1:03 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by campos
Could someone offer advice on whether this page on the AT site is correct for the change of address? [...etc]
That is the page for requesting registration as a non habitual resident tax regime beneficiary.

Non habitual residency means not having been resident for the previous 5 years but becoming (and remaining) newly resident now, which affords tax advantages for certain types of income, particularly that which arises abroad. The reason the field autocompletes to 2031 if you put start year 2022 is that the regime applies for up to 10 years if granted, provided you continue to fulfil the conditions during that period (so 2022 to 2031 inclusive = 10 years).

So no, it's not the right place to register a change of country of residence from Portugal to somewhere else.
Old Jan 2nd 2023, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Eric.
would you have an idea where on the site i can deregister as habitual resident? I'm going round in circles.
Old Jan 2nd 2023, 1:28 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure whether it can be done online.

Have you moved to another EU country?
Old Jan 2nd 2023, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Not sure whether it can be done online.

Have you moved to another EU country?
i was under the impression it is possible. A reply i received, post 5 above, gives a site map route to follow (translated) but i can't find and follow the sections.
yes, i am now in another EU country.
Old Jan 2nd 2023, 1:47 pm
Polished expat

OK, the Finanças portal seems to be a bit sticky right now so I'm having trouble navigating it for a simulation but you should be able to get to the relevant area by accessing :

A Minha Area / Dados Pessoais / Dados de Contacto / Morada and then Pedido de Alteração

I have a feeling that will only handle address changes within PT, though.
Old Jan 2nd 2023, 1:54 pm
Polished expat

If you go to the portal das finanças and type e-balcão in the search box and then follow the link, it gets you to the page referred to in that response you got. Then you can follow the menus from there as per their suggestion.

Does that help at all?
Old Jan 2nd 2023, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks again, Eric.
Since I asked earlier, I have received a reply in my AT inbox -
Pode enviar documento de identificação e documento comprovativo de morada a alterar, ou em alternativa fazer marcação para ser atendido presencialmente.
Com os melhores cumprimentos
AT- Autoridade Tributária e Aduaneira
(Trans-You can send ID and proof of address to be changed, or alternatively make an appointment to be seen in person.
Yours sincerely)

And yes, at your post #13, it only accepts PT addresses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.