Reload this Page >

HOW CAN WE CONTACT SOLICITADORS

HOW CAN WE CONTACT SOLICITADORS

Old May 21st 2019, 11:39 am
Just Joined

Stephenwonders is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HOW CAN WE CONTACT SOLICITADORS

Ola,

We have sent around 6 contact e mails to solicitadors listed on the website solicitadors.net but we have had no replies and this is over a week now.

Any advice on how to make contact with property legal representatives in the Leiria district would be gratefully received.

We would like to test how good their English is and get some ideas regarding fees and services in relation to buying a house.

Would it be better to make some phone calls?

Obrigado
Old May 21st 2019, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HOW CAN WE CONTACT SOLICITADORS

Yes. Phone them.
Old May 22nd 2019, 4:20 am
Just Joined

We have had one response by e mail from an advogada who advertises on pure portugal so bem feito to her. So far she is ticking our boxes.

If the lack of response from the solicitadors is an indication of their service then maybe trying to make contact was not unproductive. When I ran a business any e mail enquiries were seen by me as an opportunity to demonstrate good customer service. First impressions count.

Bom dia
Old May 22nd 2019, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Invariably I get no reply to emails to Portuguese companies, even when I write in Portuguese. It seems to be a Portuguese thing. It's very frustrating.
Old May 22nd 2019, 6:47 am
Just Joined

Very disappointing. It is a problem when you are trying to establish communication from the UK. If we were in Portugal then I would be going to visit them. I think they are missing business opportunities. They must be very busy already. I hope the bubble does not burst.
Old May 22nd 2019, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

Culturally, it would seem that people in Portugal actually do pick up the phone and call each other as opposed to completely relying on email. Once you have had a proper conversation, it seems to be acceptable to revert to some email correspondence. I'm afraid it is something you are going to have to get used to.
Old May 22nd 2019, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

Yes I accept that.

Why bother inviting potential customers to contact you by e mail then?

No response or a very slow response does not inspire confidence for a potential good experience with the business concerned.
Old May 22nd 2019, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well, it's the way things happen.
Old May 24th 2019, 10:52 am
Living the Dream

westernliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stephenwonders
Yes I accept that.

Why bother inviting potential customers to contact you by e mail then?

No response or a very slow response does not inspire confidence for a potential good experience with the business concerned.
I think you may be judging people by your own standards, culture and experience. Just because someone does not respond in the way you expect does not mean they are not professional.
it took me a while to work it out but I discovered most of the business people I have dealt with respond well to a phone call and are then happy to continue with email.
Old May 29th 2019, 9:00 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with what others have posted here :

1] YES. It is the case that quite a lot of professionals do not use email to the same extent nor as reliably as UK / US nationals are used to. So expect that to be the case and don't rely on a reply happening before you have made a 'phone call (during which you can always explain that emails work better for you, on account of language and distance issues ~and see if that makes a difference but don't be surprised if it doesn't ).

2} There are exceptions and if you have found one then go with her / that.

3] If you are intending to carry on some kind of business / professional activity in Portugal ~ well don't expect to be able to rely on email as the method of communication.

4] If you are just needing an Advogada to carry out a simple conveyancing transaction for you I do not believe it is in any way necessary for that person to be local to the property . I could recommend my own Advogada ( based in Monte Gordo, Algarve ) who did my conveyance a year ago. Reasonable charges; excellent English; and yes she does use and reply to emails ! lol.
Old May 29th 2019, 9:25 am
Just Joined

Ola Riv,

Thank you for your feedback, I have now accepted that this is the way it is in Portugal. Actually two law firms based in Lisboa replied rapidly but with eye watering prices.

We are pretty sure who we are going to ask to represent us now. We have built up a rapport with an Advogada based in Tabua which is not too far away from the area we are looking at.

Having a legal representative who is not in the immediate area reduces the chances of any compromised interests so I reckon we are sorted now. If everything goes well I will of course report back here so that others can share the good news.

Obrigado
Old May 29th 2019, 9:52 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

I can't recall exactly how much my Advogada's fees were for the ( uncomplicated ) conveyancing work but it was less than Euros 1500 in total. I thought that was reasonable. Lisbon ( like London ) based lawyers are always going to have to charge more as they themselves have much higher costs in the capital. So their charges are not unfair, i don't think, but if you don't need a Lisbon based lawyer then don't use one is the answer.

If you have and maintain a good relationship with an Advogada then hold on to that / her with both / all hands ! She will be useful to you in the future, and you to her ( recommending other clients ).
Old May 30th 2019, 12:21 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is a lawyer here in Portugal. She mainly deals with foreigners who are immigrating to Portugal, and/or buying property. Her clients frequently tell her she was the only lawyer who responded to their emails or contacts, which always amazes us. I sometimes have to tell her when we're out and she gets an email on her phone from a client, that it's acceptable to reply the next day if it is evening and the issue is not urgent!
Old May 30th 2019, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by captainflack
My wife is a lawyer here in Portugal. She mainly deals with foreigners who are immigrating to Portugal, and/or buying property. Her clients frequently tell her she was the only lawyer who responded to their emails or contacts, which always amazes us. I sometimes have to tell her when we're out and she gets an email on her phone from a client, that it's acceptable to reply the next day if it is evening and the issue is not urgent!
Ola Captain,

Your wife is giving clients excellent service from what you describe.

Regards