House problem

Old May 2nd 2016, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

Georgedi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default House problem

Hi looking for a little advice, we bought our house 7 years ago and have now been told by the Camara that we don't have a licence of utilities and that we shouldn't have been able to buy our house without it, well we did with a Portuguese solicitor as our Portuguese was not very good at the time, the house was extended in 1994 and the plans were with the Camara but our solicitor didn't confirm there were plans so the footprint on our documents is wrong by some 80 square metres. We have gone back to the solicitor who said its not her problem,but the people who sold the house, she was aware the extension had been built and we queried it at the time, she assured us the paperwork was correct for the house and she would give us a copy in English and we only got it a month ago, and we are still waiting for a receipt for the money that we paid in cash. any advice on where we can go for help please would be very welcome. Apparently it will cost around €2000 euros.
Old May 2nd 2016, 12:50 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House problem

Hello and welcome to the forum

I've shifted your post from the Welcome Inn to the Portugal section, as your query is quite country specific. I'm sure the guys in here will point you in the right direction.
Old May 2nd 2016, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much
Old May 2nd 2016, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

Looks to me as if your original solicitor is not entirely blameless ! I would start with asking DECO Comprar e vender casa - DECO PROTESTE and then follow their advice. Depending on your relationship with your solicitor you could ask them for their compaints book as that has a habit of forcing a re think. If the €2k fee is entirely the fee that you would have to pay to the Camara to get the Habitation Licence then you may find you are totally stuffed and will have to fork out in order to resolve it. Costs never go down so better to do it now rather than waiting until you are at a point where you want to sell and doing it then.

Last edited by MrBife; May 2nd 2016 at 1:32 pm.
Old May 2nd 2016, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

Very many thanks will do
Old May 2nd 2016, 3:36 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrBife
Looks to me as if your original solicitor is not entirely blameless ! I would start with asking DECO Comprar e vender casa - DECO PROTESTE and then follow their advice. Depending on your relationship with your solicitor you could ask them for their compaints book as that has a habit of forcing a re think. If the €2k fee is entirely the fee that you would have to pay to the Camara to get the Habitation Licence then you may find you are totally stuffed and will have to fork out in order to resolve it. Costs never go down so better to do it now rather than waiting until you are at a point where you want to sell and doing it then.
I agree - the €2k sounds like the "fine" for non-conformity.... if this makes everything legal, you will probably have to pay it and seek redress elsewhere - without the house being "legal" you won't (in theory) be able to sell it.

However, that presumes any purchaser has a solicitor more attentive than yours
Old May 2nd 2016, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Mrbife the €2000 is not a fine but for an engineer to come out and draw plans etc but the Camara already have the plans that the previous owner gave them in 1994 so surely it was down to solicitor to check the plans etc. However my husband is on the phone to DECO as we speak so will let you know thanks again.