House Martins

Old Apr 27th 2011, 3:35 pm
UK and Tavira, Portugal

miacat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default House Martins

Ever since we bought our place we have been plagued with housemartins. We know they are protected and nests cannot be removed during the breeding season so we have taken great pains to try and stop it before the season - put up bird spikes but the little ...still keep coming back and start trying to build their nests. Unfortunately we are not out all of the time to stay on top of the situation and we really need a more full proof way. Does anyone know of a Portuguese company that deal with this (we cannot be the only ones we don't much like it?) - perhaps put up netting or something else? I appreciate it will probably now need to be the autumn. Is there an absolutely full proof deterrent? I like them but it is no fun sitting out under a deluge of sh.... There has to be an answer?
Old Apr 27th 2011, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

tombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nice
Default Re: House Martins

Hi MiaCat.

What I do is hang something like a xmas bobble ( all that cheap stuff you can get at the chinese shops),on a length of cat gut or twine,
in the spots where they intend to roost. A old CD or DVD will do the same.
As it spins around the birds do not like it and head off to roost somewhere else.

Works for me. My neighbours are plagued by them during the breeding season.

regards
Old Apr 27th 2011, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

retiree-optimist is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tombo
Hi MiaCat.

What I do is hang something like a xmas bobble ( all that cheap stuff you can get at the chinese shops),on a length of cat gut or twine,
in the spots where they intend to roost. A old CD or DVD will do the same.
As it spins around the birds do not like it and head off to roost somewhere else.

Works for me. My neighbours are plagued by them during the breeding season.

regards
We are planning to put an insect screen that folds back along the terraces at the front and back of our apartment to stop the birds coming in. Our neighbours have put some kind of netting up to block the corners of the terrace (bit like coving) to stop the birds nesting ... seems to have worked for them.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 9:08 pm
UK and Tavira, Portugal

Originally Posted by retiree-optimist
We are planning to put an insect screen that folds back along the terraces at the front and back of our apartment to stop the birds coming in. Our neighbours have put some kind of netting up to block the corners of the terrace (bit like coving) to stop the birds nesting ... seems to have worked for them.
I would be interested in the screen although I have been told our condo does not allow mosquito screens across the balcony - tempted to ignore it as i have not seen it in writing. Let me know if you have a name of someone to do it.

We have tied things up and dangled them but this year it does not seem to be working. I have put them up where they seem to go the most. It is a pain.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by miacat
I would be interested in the screen although I have been told our condo does not allow mosquito screens across the balcony - tempted to ignore it as i have not seen it in writing. Let me know if you have a name of someone to do it.

We have tied things up and dangled them but this year it does not seem to be working. I have put them up where they seem to go the most. It is a pain.
Since the screen folds back you could say it's not permenant!!?? We didn't think that we could put one up but since someone in another block has done the same, and another has actually put sliding windows in the back we can't see a problem. If you PM me I can let you know the company we are going to use.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 10:40 pm
UK and Tavira, Portugal

Originally Posted by retiree-optimist
Since the screen folds back you could say it's not permenant!!?? We didn't think that we could put one up but since someone in another block has done the same, and another has actually put sliding windows in the back we can't see a problem. If you PM me I can let you know the company we are going to use.
Sounds like a good idea but I am still not sure it would work for us as I have already raised it and the balcony is too large for it not to be noticed. I expect it will be an expensive solution also which I am trying to avoid. I am sure others will be interested as I think the darned birds are driving loads of us bonkers. One of my friends has asked me to pm you on her behalf. I have logged in for her in her name so you will be replying directly back to her. She has the same problem but is I think a little more desperate.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Hog is on a distinguished road

I have tiled all around the top of the wall where it meets the ceiling. Now they can't get any grip to build their nests.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 10:17 am
UK and Tavira, Portugal

Originally Posted by The_Hog
I have tiled all around the top of the wall where it meets the ceiling. Now they can't get any grip to build their nests.
Now that is a smart piece of thinking and it does sound a cost effective and simple solution. It makes sense so I will run that by the OH. I am also going to try hairspray - they don't like sticky stuff. I have been busy reading up and there is some bird deterrent sticky stuff you can get from America but I think I will try the cheap hairspray first. I am not out for a while so if anyone gets a chance to try it out please let me know.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 10:33 am
Just Joined

Julian T is an unknown quantity at this point

Try a couple of runs of fishing line stretched along the top of the wall where they want to nest, I used corks as spacers so the line sits a little off the wall. Use drawing pins or nails to secure the line in the wall. They hate it as they can't get a perch!

Next door they have a fake Kestral and they don't like that either.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

Lizards or geckos.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

denny9270 is an unknown quantity at this point

we have enclosed a few balconies and terraces with the retractable screens pm me for more details if you are interested. Regards Denny
Old May 7th 2011, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: House Martins

These little guy's are now taken for food because of the ongoing drought where they winter in Sub Sahara Africa,There population is in decline because of this.
The birds that survive then travel over 3.000 km's to Europe to breed , mortality on this journey is estimated at 15%,due to Storms - Starvation
& Natural Causes.
The birds that survive return to the same area they used to nest the year before as do the yearling's that where raised there
And what do they find when the survivers finally arrive at there breeding areas, a bunch of NIMBY's
You lot should be helping !
Embrace Nature - don't deny it
Man is the most dangerous Animal on this planet
Old May 7th 2011, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Hog is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Ingles
These little guy's are now taken for food because of the ongoing drought where they winter in Sub Sahara Africa,There population is in decline because of this.
The birds that survive then travel over 3.000 km's to Europe to breed , mortality on this journey is estimated at 15%,due to Storms - Starvation
& Natural Causes.
The birds that survive return to the same area they used to nest the year before as do the yearling's that where raised there
And what do they find when the survivers finally arrive at there breeding areas, a bunch of NIMBY's
You lot should be helping !
Embrace Nature - don't deny it
Man is the most dangerous Animal on this planet
Oh for goodness sake!
If our house is brand new then the housemartins have never lived in my porch before. So stopping them from starting to live there is hardly preventing their 'circle of life'.
These 'let people/animals/etc. do whatever they want' 'Man is the aggressor' types really annoy me.
I take it you never use fly spray, ant powder, bleach, soap, washing powder or anything just in case it affects somethings environment?
Give me a break.
Old May 7th 2011, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Nettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really nice

Oh for goodness sake!
If our house is brand new then the housemartins have never lived in my porch before. So stopping them from starting to live there is hardly preventing their 'circle of life'.
These 'let people/animals/etc. do whatever they want' 'Man is the aggressor' types really annoy me.
I take it you never use fly spray, ant powder, bleach, soap, washing powder or anything just in case it affects somethings environment?
Give me a break.
Quite!
Old May 7th 2011, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

Oh for goodness sake!
Give me a break.
Hear,Hear!!! I don't eat them either!!!! Perhaps that's an option?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.