Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Help,Scotland or Portugal?

Help,Scotland or Portugal?

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

brandane has a spectacular aura aboutbrandane has a spectacular aura aboutbrandane has a spectacular aura about
Default Help,Scotland or Portugal?

Hi everyone,advice please on relocating to maybe Silver coast area ,me unskilled ,partner is accountant but was thinking of retraining to be English g teacher, accomodation sorted friends would give us house rent free for year,no children ,also open to suggestions as to maybe a new business etc ,thanks for comments
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:23 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help,Scotland or Portugal?

Jobs are not easy to find here.If you are totally reliant on Portuguese wages,I would think very carefully,there just aren't the jobs around.I have Portuguese friends who have been out of work for over a year,so what chance would foreigners have!
Wages are also very low,my builders girlfriend works full time in an office (60 hours per week) and earns less than 500 euros a month.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

Jon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really nice

UK Teachers not really needed here as the qualifications are not recognised. You will need to train in PT. Teachers wages are very very low also.
  • Hotel cleaners = 2.5 euros - 3 euros per hour
  • Hotel waiters = 630 euros per months (60 hour weeks + split shift working)
  • OA Pension = 80 euros per month.

These are the reasons why "tips" are very important to those in the service industry.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

brodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of light

My daughter is a maths teacher with qualifications gained in UK. She teaches at an international school in Lisbon where she earns a good salary. Perhaps Madeira is different to mainland
Old Feb 26th 2009, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

Yes I also know someone that teaches at a private Portuguese school in Lisbon and she was trained in the UK. I also know a fair few English teachers/Headmistresses/masters that teach at International schools.

G
Old Feb 26th 2009, 3:54 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Supremegermalene
Yes I also know someone that teaches at a private Portuguese school in Lisbon and she was trained in the UK. I also know a fair few English teachers/Headmistresses/masters that teach at International schools.

G
Scotland for me everytime my friend. I wish i still lived there.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

brandane has a spectacular aura aboutbrandane has a spectacular aura aboutbrandane has a spectacular aura about

lets do a swap then!!
Old Feb 26th 2009, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

brodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of light

I'm fortunate. I have both
Old Feb 26th 2009, 5:23 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by brandane
lets do a swap then!!
Hmm. I am actually in Spain. Just stumled upon this thread and had to reply.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CBANDY
Scotland for me everytime my friend. I wish i still lived there.
1 of 3 things im guessing cbandy...

1,you never lived in the Central belt
2, its been ages since you were home & you need a holiday to remind you of how bad it is
3, Spain is really bad?!
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

OrkneytoPortugal has a spectacular aura aboutOrkneytoPortugal has a spectacular aura aboutOrkneytoPortugal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Supremegermalene

G
International schools pay better than UK schools, so my teacher-daughter tells me - she's currently looking at jobs all over the world.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

OrkneytoPortugal has a spectacular aura aboutOrkneytoPortugal has a spectacular aura aboutOrkneytoPortugal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by brodev
I'm fortunate. I have both
You are lucky - I miss Scotland too. If I could I would share my time here and there
Old Feb 27th 2009, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

No you are lucky,grey skies doom and gloom and Scotland still not doing well at the footie!!!!