Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Help!!! Moving to Algarve & Need Advice on Electrical Items

Help!!! Moving to Algarve & Need Advice on Electrical Items

Old Mar 28th 2005, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Almiles is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Help!!! Moving to Algarve & Need Advice on Electrical Items

Hi there, does anyone have knowledge of or a contact for questions relating to electrics in Portugal? I’m hoping that someone can help me as I’m moving soon and I’m trying to work out what I can take with me as on a very tight budget and can’t afford to replace what I already own. I have the following questions:

Can I buy central light fittings in the UK which will can be fitted in Portugal? I'm sure there were only two wires hanging from the ceiling there. E.g. lights that have a several spots on them for the kitchen or multi bulb fittings and if so, are the various bulbs readily available?
Is it correct that travel plugs can only be used for items that don’t have an earth wire in them?
Can all items (an iron for example) with a standard three pin plug simply be fitted with a local two pin plug?
What’s the situation with items that have transformers - such as Xmas lights, phones, low voltage garden lights etc. - can these plugs be replaced with local transformers? Also do I need to stock up on rechargeable batteries as I can’t seem to find solar lights there - crazy with all that sunshine!
I’ve bought a small town apartment in Albufeira built around the mid 80s - is the electrical loading similar to ours or do I run the risk of tripping the fuses if I have too many items working at the same time?

Sorry for so many silly questions but doing this life changing move alone is a nightmare so I really would appreciate any advice I can get before leaving as every penny counts until I can find a job there!

And I'm going to try Pickfords as other removal firms I've contacted in the Algarve cost over £3000 (without packing) for a three bed house.

Thanks a lot

Ali
Old Apr 5th 2005, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

SunSeaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help!!! Moving to Algarve & Need Advice on Electrical Items

Originally Posted by Almiles
Hi there, does anyone have knowledge of or a contact for questions relating to electrics in Portugal? I’m hoping that someone can help me as I’m moving soon and I’m trying to work out what I can take with me as on a very tight budget and can’t afford to replace what I already own. I have the following questions:

Can I buy central light fittings in the UK which will can be fitted in Portugal? I'm sure there were only two wires hanging from the ceiling there. E.g. lights that have a several spots on them for the kitchen or multi bulb fittings and if so, are the various bulbs readily available?
Is it correct that travel plugs can only be used for items that don’t have an earth wire in them?
Can all items (an iron for example) with a standard three pin plug simply be fitted with a local two pin plug?
What’s the situation with items that have transformers - such as Xmas lights, phones, low voltage garden lights etc. - can these plugs be replaced with local transformers? Also do I need to stock up on rechargeable batteries as I can’t seem to find solar lights there - crazy with all that sunshine!
I’ve bought a small town apartment in Albufeira built around the mid 80s - is the electrical loading similar to ours or do I run the risk of tripping the fuses if I have too many items working at the same time?

Sorry for so many silly questions but doing this life changing move alone is a nightmare so I really would appreciate any advice I can get before leaving as every penny counts until I can find a job there!

And I'm going to try Pickfords as other removal firms I've contacted in the Algarve cost over £3000 (without packing) for a three bed house.

Thanks a lot

Ali

Ali

The voltage is the same in Portugal so UK spec electrical appliances and equipment will work no problem. All you need to do is change the plug to the two pin type or use an adaptor.

Light bulbs here use the screw fitting as opposed to the bayonette type in the UK. Light fittings from the UK can be used here too, metal fittings should be earthed (there should always be an earth wire). But as mentioned they will probably have the bayonette fittings so you may struggle to find a large selection of bayonette type bulbs.

As far as equipment with transformers are concerned, they usually have the UK three pin plug moulded as part of the transformer. The easiest thing to do is just use adaptors to convert it to a two pin otherwise you'll have to go looking for transformers with similar voltage / amp characteristics.

Whether your old wiring in the townhouse will trip or not depends on what loads are on the circuit and how it's been wired. If you have any high current appliances like electric oven, cooker and electric emersion hot water sharing the circuit with other appliances then it may trip when all are on at the same time. Only time will tell once you've started living in the property.

Removals to the Algarve is expensive. We paid £2,800 3 years ago which included packing and only unpacking of large furniture. The service was rubbish and some of the stuff was damaged and badly scratched when it arrived. So it depends on how much you value your things, but next time I would pay more and get a better company. Pickfords did a removal of some of our clients and they were very impressed but they paid closer to £4K.

G
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 11:14 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Help!!! Moving to Algarve & Need Advice on Electrical Items

Originally Posted by SunSeaker
Ali

The voltage is the same in Portugal so UK spec electrical appliances and equipment will work no problem. All you need to do is change the plug to the two pin type or use an adaptor.

Light bulbs here use the screw fitting as opposed to the bayonette type in the UK. Light fittings from the UK can be used here too, metal fittings should be earthed (there should always be an earth wire). But as mentioned they will probably have the bayonette fittings so you may struggle to find a large selection of bayonette type bulbs.

As far as equipment with transformers are concerned, they usually have the UK three pin plug moulded as part of the transformer. The easiest thing to do is just use adaptors to convert it to a two pin otherwise you'll have to go looking for transformers with similar voltage / amp characteristics.

Whether your old wiring in the townhouse will trip or not depends on what loads are on the circuit and how it's been wired. If you have any high current appliances like electric oven, cooker and electric emersion hot water sharing the circuit with other appliances then it may trip when all are on at the same time. Only time will tell once you've started living in the property.

Removals to the Algarve is expensive. We paid £2,800 3 years ago which included packing and only unpacking of large furniture. The service was rubbish and some of the stuff was damaged and badly scratched when it arrived. So it depends on how much you value your things, but next time I would pay more and get a better company. Pickfords did a removal of some of our clients and they were very impressed but they paid closer to £4K.

G
G

Thanks very much for the info - I'm pretty good with electrical DIY in the UK but another country's wiring is scary! There are just two wires coming from the ceiling and I loved the quote from a person who lives there who says that people "forget about modern things like earth" in Portugal, so should I assume that I can't safely fit my current metal light fittings and have to opt for the local versions? Would hate to pack things I can't use.

I didn't know it was safe to use adaptors with transformers, that's good - but what about things like the TV, metal floor lamps or the iron, for example - I was confused by the info on the adaptor for my hairdryer which says don't use with earthed appliances - what's that all about then?

I'm still waiting on quotes for removals so thanks for your comments on that - on a limited budget, I can't be too picky so will have to hope for the best.

Will be glad when the move is over!

Regards

Ali
Old Apr 25th 2005, 9:09 am
Just Joined

SunSeaker is an unknown quantity at this point

G

Thanks very much for the info - I'm pretty good with electrical DIY in the UK but another country's wiring is scary! There are just two wires coming from the ceiling and I loved the quote from a person who lives there who says that people "forget about modern things like earth" in Portugal, so should I assume that I can't safely fit my current metal light fittings and have to opt for the local versions? Would hate to pack things I can't use.

I didn't know it was safe to use adaptors with transformers, that's good - but what about things like the TV, metal floor lamps or the iron, for example - I was confused by the info on the adaptor for my hairdryer which says don't use with earthed appliances - what's that all about then?

I'm still waiting on quotes for removals so thanks for your comments on that - on a limited budget, I can't be too picky so will have to hope for the best.

Will be glad when the move is over!

Regards

Ali
Ali

Perhaps you can pull an earth wire through to the light fitting that you are going to fit metal lights to. It should be easy enough if the wires are in a conduit. Metal bodied lights sold in Portugal have an earth connection, it's an EEC requirement I believe.

The adpators I have all connect the earth and I've used them with all sorts of UK electrical appliances until I got round to changing all the plugs. I recommend you change all your plugs on everything that has a plug as the adaptors are not that robust and and are really not suitable for long term repeated plugging in and out. Start with changing the plugs on the most used items work through until you've done them all.

For the transformers, I continue to use the adaptors and willeventually phase them out as I replace equipment.

Good luck with the move.

G
Old Apr 25th 2005, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Help!!! Moving to Algarve & Need Advice on Electrical Items

G

Thanks so much for your advice, it's reasuring - need all the luck and guidance I can get!

Cheers

Ali

Originally Posted by SunSeaker
Ali

Perhaps you can pull an earth wire through to the light fitting that you are going to fit metal lights to. It should be easy enough if the wires are in a conduit. Metal bodied lights sold in Portugal have an earth connection, it's an EEC requirement I believe.

The adpators I have all connect the earth and I've used them with all sorts of UK electrical appliances until I got round to changing all the plugs. I recommend you change all your plugs on everything that has a plug as the adaptors are not that robust and and are really not suitable for long term repeated plugging in and out. Start with changing the plugs on the most used items work through until you've done them all.

For the transformers, I continue to use the adaptors and willeventually phase them out as I replace equipment.

Good luck with the move.

G
Old Jun 13th 2005, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

Sea Breeze is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you moved yet?
Old Jun 13th 2005, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sea Breeze
Have you moved yet?
Hi - yes just arrived and it's a nightmare trying to sort everything out. Thanks for response, getting to grips with things but not without difficulty.

If anyone is doing the same move, I'd be happy to pass on any info I can but for now, I'm reliant on a friend's computer as I don't have a phone line. Thanks again and if I can help anyone re such a move, do let me know but will be a few weeks before I get internet access "at home" as it were - home is currently via friends - bless them - and an apartment full of boxes!

I will get there!!!! - Espero! - I hope!!

Regards
Ali
Old Jun 14th 2005, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Sea Breeze is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved to the Algarve last October and are managing to very slowly get ourselves sorted out! Where are you based?

SB

Hi - yes just arrived and it's a nightmare trying to sort everything out. Thanks for response, getting to grips with things but not without difficulty.

If anyone is doing the same move, I'd be happy to pass on any info I can but for now, I'm reliant on a friend's computer as I don't have a phone line. Thanks again and if I can help anyone re such a move, do let me know but will be a few weeks before I get internet access "at home" as it were - home is currently via friends - bless them - and an apartment full of boxes!

I will get there!!!! - Espero! - I hope!!

Regards
Ali
Old Jul 20th 2005, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

deakie is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hijack a thread but wondered if anyone can help me!

I live in an apartment which is tied to my job and the owner has a party line telephone(?!) and broadband internet connection through netcabo which is wired throughout the building so no set top box. I would like my own internet access account but am not close enough to any wi-fi hotspots to get a good signal.

I know that Sapo and various other companies are doing packages at the moment that give you a new phone line and broadband access. Does anyone know if i can keep the apartment cable/phone/net access set up as it is and have my own net/phone account with one of those packages?

It sounds complicated, but I don't want my boss, who owns the apartment, getting my bills through to him.