Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Help with insulation

Help with insulation

Old Sep 24th 2017, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help with insulation

Hi All

I have been told by a tiler friend that the insulation I have for a interior wall was wrong. I am told that I need a denser type of insulation like the blue insulation that you may know of.

The insulation I need must be thinner than the normal blue insulation about 15mm so if you know where in the Coimbra area I can get what I need then please help.

Peter
Old Sep 24th 2017, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with insulation

I take it you've tried Leroy Merlins?
Old Sep 24th 2017, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

Peter, can’t help out around Coimbra but just a thought. Have a look at the superfoil website

www.superfoil.co.uk.

If your looking to maximise u values with minimal thickness it could be a solution. Their website has a pretty good design guide for many uses.

I don’t know if they have a PT agent, you could ask them or depending how much you need, cost etc maybe shipping it out could be an option?
Old Sep 25th 2017, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peterfc
Hi All

I have been told by a tiler friend that the insulation I have for a interior wall was wrong. I am told that I need a denser type of insulation like the blue insulation that you may know of.

The insulation I need must be thinner than the normal blue insulation about 15mm so if you know where in the Coimbra area I can get what I need then please help.

Peter
Do you mean exterior rather than interior wall?
Old Sep 25th 2017, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Perhaps i should have made myself clear, the wall is an inside wall going up to the floor above. As the stairs are a little narrow and i want to insulate the wall before i have tiles put up. I need an insulation like the blue stuff we all know and use but only about 15mm thick. I could have the tiles put straight up but this is the one cold wall in the house and all the rest bar this section of wall has been insulated.

Thanks for the replies

Peter
Old Sep 25th 2017, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Could you use cork?
Old Sep 25th 2017, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

santaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peterfc
Hi All

Peter
I will explain a bit more,peter wants the wall insulated and then tiled he has 450 x 300 porcalane tiles the insulatation he has is the bog standard white polystyrene,i wont dot and dab then tile on this the weight of the tiles will be to much on such a poor base.so if pushed i would tile on blue board insulatin with a flexi adhesive but as the tiles are 9mm he does not have a lot pf deph to play with so needs a good dense product that is no more than 12mm.

Last edited by santaanita; Sep 25th 2017 at 4:39 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Nigel

Explained perfectly

Peter
Old Sep 26th 2017, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

As you haven't found anyone around who has 15mm high density polystyrene in stock, you just have to go to your local builders supply and ask them to order it for you I think.

However, the dow website doesn't show anything thinner than 30mm.