Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Health insurance cover

Health insurance cover

Old Nov 1st 2007, 8:21 am
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Health insurance cover

Originally Posted by Redlippie
No. You look 28. And you'll only look younger. Portugal has discovered the fountain of youth. It is to be found in drinking copious amounts of vinho verde!
Sounds good to me. So basically when I'm forcing down a glass of wine I'll tell myself and anybody else who'll listen that it's purely medicinal.

Thank you for your words of wisdom
Old Nov 1st 2007, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to all
Cool Re: Health insurance cover

I am 56 my wife 44 and the 2 of us are in the Portuguese health system and we were never asked if we have PMI. Went to the social security office filled in the form there and then, they took a copy of our passport and residencia and it was as simple as that.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud of
Default Re: Health insurance cover

Originally Posted by contrada
I am interested in the response posted by Joao - My wife and I hope to be able to retire early and relocate to central algarve next year. It has been mentioned to me that as we are both below state retiral age (late 50s) and will not be working that we would not be entitled to the PT health system and would require proof of private health insurance before being allowed to take up residency

this seems to differ from what Joao has said - any clarification would be most welcome

Ken
I wasn't asked to produce a private health insurance policy when I went to register with the Portuguese national health system. I suggest you contact the main office in Lisbon to gain correct information from the horses mouth.
Joao
Old Nov 1st 2007, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

contrada is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the advice - i will contact Lisbon and get the official position

cheers all
Old Nov 1st 2007, 5:27 pm
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by contrada
thanks for the advice - i will contact Lisbon and get the official position

cheers all

Can you let us know what they said please?

Ta
Old Nov 1st 2007, 8:08 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by TaviraTrog
Sounds good to me. So basically when I'm forcing down a glass of wine I'll tell myself and anybody else who'll listen that it's purely medicinal.

Thank you for your words of wisdom
Always.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

contrada is an unknown quantity at this point

response from Br Embassy in Lisbon on health care rights for EU citizens

15. Health Service

Under EU legislation and the Protocol on Medical Treatment that was signed between Portugal and the UK on 15 November 1978, British citizens who are legally resident in Portugal are entitled to state medical treatment on the same terms as any Portuguese national who is covered by the National Health service. Non-resident British visitors to Portugal are entitled to emergency medical treatment at state facilities on production of their British passport or European Health Insurance Card.

In order to benefit from state-funded health care as a resident, you should apply for a national health service “user card” (cartão de utente) at your local health centre (centro de saúde) producing your passport as evidence of national status, and your registration certificate (see paragraph 1 above). Until such a time as a registration certificate has been issued, you will only be entitled to emergency treatment from state facilities. Routine consultations, complementary exams, such as x-rays and blood tests, and prescriptions for existing illnesses only become available on national health service terms once a registration certificate has been issued and a user card has been applied for.

There is, however, one exception to this rule. If you are retired and are in receipt of a UK state retirement pension, you may apply for a user card and enrol with a state GP immediately on arrival, simply on the production of your passport and pension receipts. Though not obligatory, it is also advisable to obtain Form 121 from the Department for Work and Pensions before leaving the UK. This confirms your status as a UK pensioner to the Portuguese authorities, and speeds-up the issue of a Portuguese health service user card.

Please note that the only medicines that are available free-of-charge in Portugal, are those used to treat the sufferers of certain chronic illnesses. All other medicines have to be purchased, though many are subsidised to some extent when obtained on prescription and on presentation of a health service user card.

There are several good but extremely expensive private clinics in Portugal. If you are considering using private health facilities, you may wish to take out health insurance, either in the UK or locally on arrival.

hope this helps

cheers
Old Nov 8th 2007, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

chris101 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have residencia,and wasnt asked for anything to do with health cover to obtain it. (5 euros for both of us)
Chris
Old Nov 9th 2007, 5:12 am
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

So basically.... PHI is not mandatory if you're planning on getting residency? Its only recommended for speedy and maybe more concentrated/dedicated healthcare like the PHI services offerred in the UK through organisatons such as BUPA?

Thanks for supplying the info Contrada
Old Nov 15th 2007, 8:05 am
Just Joined

Basgooner is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by derbyflan
So basically.... PHI is not mandatory if you're planning on getting residency? Its only recommended for speedy and maybe more concentrated/dedicated healthcare like the PHI services offerred in the UK through organisatons such as BUPA?

Thanks for supplying the info Contrada
That I already knew, the reason I was asking is that my GF who is Portuguese believes it by far the best way to ensure so get quick effective treatment. This is somewhat backed up by my late mother who used to live in Estoril who often complained how long she had to wait for treatment at the local health centre and, invariably, she ended up going to private climnics and paying a fee at the door (expensive!) hence me asking about PMI.

Thanks to all anyway and, how impressed am I by the British Embassy inputting to the debate! Superb!