Reload this Page >

Health care in Portugal

Health care in Portugal

Old Aug 1st 2007, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

karen-a is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health care in Portugal

Hello

We are thinking about moving to Portugal and the only thing really stopping us is the fact that our daughter suffers from cystic fibrosis. She is really thriving due to the excellent care she receives here in Scotland, and obviously we don't want to jeopardise this. So my question is does anyone have any experience, advice, comments re health care in portugal in general and cf care in particular.

Cheers

Karen
Old Aug 1st 2007, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Saz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really nice
Default Re: Health care in Portugal

Hi Karen

I havent any info regarding cf I am afraid. But my dad was diagnosed and treated for bowel cancer very well in Faro Hospital. He was always full of praise for the doctors and nursing staff. However, it was probably made a lot easier for him as my step mum speaks fluent portuguese. Although saying that, there were english volunteers in the hospital to translate for non speakers.

Sorry, not that much help, but with regards to treatment/long term aftercare, he had no complaints. Hopefully someone else may have more info regarding cf for you.

Saz1
Old Aug 1st 2007, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

brodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of light

I don't have any experience of CF, but my daughter recently had a baby in Lisbon and the quality of after care was well below what we are used to in Scotland. The doctors were fine but she has had no health visitors, for example.
She has to go to the local hospital and queue for hours to get an appointment, and it appears that the bureaucratic right hand doesn't know what the left is doing. Her Portuguese in-laws seemed to think it was normal.
I have had more experience in Spain where the medical service is great but backup like physio, ambulances and home nursing is virtually non-existent. I believe Portugal is similar but slightly worse
Old Aug 1st 2007, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

My Portuguese father inlaw recently died here of cancer of the pankris and liver, after many visits to the hospital(starting in December) with him in the local one and in Porto they insisted there was nothing wrong with him, in May they said he had alziemers(spelt wrong im sure) we insisted this was bulls#it.....and eventually we got a doctor who did not have his nose in the air and showed some interest........and found the cancer! By this stage it was far too late(June) to do anything.

So from what I have gathered about health care here is the majority of doctors are snobs and don't give a f#ck thinking they are a cut above the rest of us and our local hospital is a dirty s#ithole that I would not take my dog to for treatment!

If I get ill or my son does.......im heading home for the NHS in Scotland. Sorry for being so negative.......but this is my opinion! Life is great here but there are some serious downsides as well as the good......
Ged

p.s Private health care here is top notch.......if your willing to pay or bribe....you will get the best!
Old Aug 1st 2007, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by brodev
I don't have any experience of CF, but my daughter recently had a baby in Lisbon and the quality of after care was well below what we are used to in Scotland. The doctors were fine but she has had no health visitors, for example.
My son was born here also.....and there was no follow up on him at all.......left with our first child to work everything out for ourselves. When we asked a few things before he left hospital they treated my wife as if she was thick for asking!(who has more qualifications than most doctors)
Old Aug 1st 2007, 5:16 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by gedscottish
If I get ill or my son does.......im heading home for the NHS in Scotland. Sorry for being so negative.......but this is my opinion! Life is great here but there are some serious downsides as well as the good......
Ged

p.s Private health care here is top notch.......if your willing to pay or bribe....you will get the best!
I agree. Especially if you're outside of Lisbon.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 9:49 pm
Escaped to the Sun

Mattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really nice

Our experience of Hospitals is the local private one in Lagos (Private medical 250 Euro a year - pay first 30 Euro of first visit then only pay 10%) It is fantastic. Every aspect is great - quality of service level of expertise - megga clean. Consultants travel down from Lisbon each week.

Local PT NHS does a great job looking after Diabetics lots of tests and very low cost drugs. Queues are long but this was the case in the UK.

Having said all this I would worry about original question with child who already had a problem so private medical not possible for existing conditions.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

nearlagosbusstation will become famous soon enoughnearlagosbusstation will become famous soon enough

I live in Lagos and am currently looking for "cheap" medical cover not the 3-4K AXA and the other crooks want annually. If I was 85 and ill I could understand it but a 42.....

Could you let me know which hospital & contact details for them.. please
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 10:18 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

try www.multicare.pt
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

beachbaby is a jewel in the roughbeachbaby is a jewel in the roughbeachbaby is a jewel in the roughbeachbaby is a jewel in the rough

Got my cover via afpop www.afpop.com
medical ins via Medal Lda Portimao
it is Multicare

Know a few people who are with them and all quite happy with costs and service. - In fact deal so good I worry it will not last at that price!
Old Aug 28th 2007, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

Troia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really nice

Karen

Health care in PT not as good as in the UK, that´s for sure, I have first hand experience. Better in Spain and much better in France. Reg. CF I would check out PT help groups (google Fibrose Cistica).

Troia
Old Aug 29th 2007, 8:36 am
Just Joined

nearlagosbusstation will become famous soon enoughnearlagosbusstation will become famous soon enough

Many thanks,

After a quick look, quotes coming out excellent.
Now need to translate the products.. who said you can't have fun in the sun!

Oh well off to the weekly family portuguese lesson now,

Thanks all
Simon
Old Aug 29th 2007, 10:47 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by nearlagosbusstation
Many thanks,

After a quick look, quotes coming out excellent.
Now need to translate the products.. who said you can't have fun in the sun!

Oh well off to the weekly family portuguese lesson now,

Thanks all
Simon
Welcome to BE.

I hope your lessons are very fruitful