Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Have car import tax regulations changed?

Have car import tax regulations changed?

Old Mar 18th 2018, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Have car import tax regulations changed?

Most documentation states that you have to have owned a car for 12 months before becoming Portuguese resident if you are to avoid import duties.

A recent Gov.uk document states 6 months. An afpop article also states 6 months, and notes that the regulations changed to that shorter period on January 1 2018. Is this indeed correct? Any further intelligence and, ideally, a reference to source material would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Is this web page authoritative - and would any kind soul translate the relevant bits about car ownership? https://www.portaldascomunidades.mne...acao-automovel

Last edited by Diddion; Mar 18th 2018 at 2:22 am.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have car import tax regulations changed?

It was always 12 months but some UK Govt websites have recently claimed 6 months & that link is the first time I've seen the 6 months mentioned on a Portuguese Govt website so I guess it's correct.

I've also seen claims that the resale limitation has been reduced from 5 years to 1 but have not yet seen confirmation of that on a Portuguese Govt website.

Quite honestly, I find these restrictions utterly pointless. Why should it matter how long you've owned it or how long you keep it?

And for that matter, why have to go to the trouble of supplying a CoC for the individual vehicle when type CoCs & tech specs are both published by the manufacturer?

Pointless bureaucracy at it's very best! (sigh)
Old Mar 18th 2018, 9:14 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Diddion
Any further intelligence and, ideally, a reference to source material would be really appreciated.
I think I can shed a little light here.

There was an alteration to the Código do Imposto sobre Veículos embedded in the 2018 Budget, which can be found in the Diário da República online. The relevant part is Chapter 2, Section 4 (Article 254), and within that Articles 58, 59 & 60 :
Artigo 58.º

[...]

1 - Estão isentos de imposto os veículos da propriedade de pessoas, maiores de 18 anos, que transfiram a sua residência de um Estado-Membro da União Europeia ou de país terceiro para território nacional, desde que estejam reunidas as condições estabelecidas nos artigos 59.º e 60.º

2 - ...

Artigo 59.º

[...]

1 - ...

a) Comprovativo da residência noutro Estado-Membro da União Europeia ou em país terceiro por período de seis meses, seguidos ou interpolados se nesse país vigorarem restrições de estada, e a respetiva transferência para Portugal, na situação prevista no n.º 1 do artigo anterior;

Artigo 60.º

[...]

1 - ...

a) ...

b) ...

c) Ter sido propriedade do interessado no país de proveniência, durante pelo menos seis meses antes da transferência de residência, contados desde a data da emissão do documento que titula a propriedade ou da data em que celebrou o contrato de locação financeira, se for o caso.
https://dre.pt/web/guest/pesquisa/-/...ils/normal?l=1

Which says that you must have proof that you both owned the vehicle and were resident in another country for a minimum 6 months prior to transferring residence to Portugal.

Last edited by Red Eric; Mar 18th 2018 at 9:19 am.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
I think I can shed a little light here.

There was an alteration to the Código do Imposto sobre Veículos embedded in the 2018 Budget, which can be found in the Diário da República online. The relevant part is Chapter 2, Section 4 (Article 254), and within that Articles 58, 59 & 60 :

https://dre.pt/web/guest/pesquisa/-/...ils/normal?l=1

Which says that you must have proof that you both owned the vehicle and were resident in another country for a minimum 6 months prior to transferring residence to Portugal.
Whatever the Law is it's how each department see's the Law and how they intemperate the new Law. Best bet would be to go to the IMTT and ask them. That's the only way to get a correct answer to your question.

Peter
Old Mar 18th 2018, 10:51 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peterfc
Whatever the Law is it's how each department see's the Law and how they intemperate the new Law. Best bet would be to go to the IMTT and ask them. That's the only way to get a correct answer to your question.

Peter
I beg to differ.

For one thing, it's not the IMT which grants the exemption and for another, if (as another poster has stated) the UK government has been informed and asked to update its websites, then I'm pretty certain all the branches of the relevant authorities in Portugal have also been made aware of the change.

And if, by any remote chance, any of them were working to out of date regulations, then it ought to be questioned. In this case it's national law and not open to local interpretation.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, everyone, and particularly Red Eric's authoritative answer!

Slightly concerned about peterfc's comment, though. I have heard of Portuguese authorities 'interpreting' the regulations in different ways. If, indeed, these out of date figures were used, would you have a high degree of confidence that a challenge would have a successful outcomes? Red Eric's second post, above, would seem to suggest this.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
... Quite honestly, I find these restrictions utterly pointless. Why should it matter how long you've owned it or how long you keep it? ...
How else do you suggest they can easily limit the personal tax-free importation of cars from any country to secondhand cars owned by new immigrants previously resident in that country?
Old Mar 18th 2018, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
How else do you suggest they can easily limit the personal tax-free importation of cars from any country to secondhand cars owned by new immigrants previously resident in that country?
As I see it, all they need to do is say it has to be registered in your name in the country you're importing it from & 1 vehicle every 10 years.

Why on earth does the importer have to have owned it for 6, 12 or any other number of months previously?

As I see it, the requirement is simply bureaucracy for the sake of bureaucracy just as the individual tech spec & workshop manual requirement is.

FFS...... Every manufacturer has to publish a type CoC & tech specs & how many people work on their own cars nowadays & don't garages have access to online manuals?
Old Mar 18th 2018, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
... 1 vehicle every 10 years. ...
Why should a resident of Portugal be allowed a tax free import of one car every 10 years?
Old Mar 18th 2018, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

I agree with the comments criticising such rules - especially as it seems not to accord with EU Regulations. However, it is what it is, and on that basis we have little choice other than to optimise our individual situations.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Why should a resident of Portugal be allowed a tax free import of one car every 10 years?
I think it refers to returning residents & I can understand (to some extent) that they don't want people to turn it into a business because it could damage the domestic sales industry but as long as it's the same for everyone I can see the point of that.

But I simply can't see the point in the other criteria I mentioned previously.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

The bureaucracy involved in proving that an imported vehicle is made to the appropriate standards may be OTT but is probably necessary in some form.

As I understand it, the tax-free import is the same for everybody who qualifies. If you're a new (or returning?) immigrant who has been resident (>183 days) in the country you're leaving you can bring your car (that you've owned for at least that long) with you tax-free.

It's a one-time concession because you've already paid the equivalent 'taxes' elsewhere.

If you're not a new immigrant (whether resident in Portugal or not) you pay the appropriate ISV (whether the car is new or not). Of course, the new car bought elsewhere for export can avoid the other country's equivalent registration taxes & IVA, paying Portuguese taxes instead.

I see no justification for a periodic exemption to that, even if it might be welcome. Why not just have every 10th year IRS-free?
Old Mar 18th 2018, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

The bureaucracy involved in proving that an imported vehicle is made to the appropriate standards may be OTT but is probably necessary in some form.

As I understand it, the tax-free import is the same for everybody who qualifies. If you're a new (or returning?) immigrant who has been resident (>183 days) in the country you're leaving you can bring your car (that you've owned for at least that long) with you tax-free.

It's a one-time concession because you've already paid the equivalent 'taxes' elsewhere.

If you're not a new immigrant (whether resident in Portugal or not) you pay the appropriate ISV (whether the car is new or not). Of course, the new car bought elsewhere for export can avoid the other country's equivalent registration taxes & IVA, paying Portuguese taxes instead.

I see no justification for a periodic exemption to that, even if it might be welcome. Why not just have every 10th year IRS-free?
To me it's not important whether it's every person once every 10 years or every new/returning immigrant once or once every 10 years as long as the same rule applies to all.

What is pointless is the individual CoC for that individual vehicle which more often than not has to be obtained with great difficulty & needless expense & in some cases is not available at all. (Land Rover being a case in point).

If the car predates the issuance of CoCs they happily accept a copy of the original sales brochure that shows the tech spec so why not just ask for that & a 'type CoC' which is available online for all vehicles?

As for the workshop manual requirement........ that is truly & utterly ridiculous...... When was the last time most of us did any serious work on their cars or looked in an owners guide let alone a workshop manual?

Pointless bureaucracy drives me nucking futs!

But I might have given that impression previously. lol!
Old Mar 18th 2018, 7:00 pm
Polished expat

I agree with the comments criticising such rules - especially as it seems not to accord with EU Regulations.
Oh? Which regulations are those, then?

Here's an excerpt from the official website of the European Commission :
Moving abroad

If you move to another EU country (you intend to stay there over 6 months) and take your car with you, you will need to register it and pay any relevant fees and taxes in the new country.

You must register your car as soon as possible and in any case not later than 6 months from your date of arrival. You should also check what documents and formalities will be required as evidence to register your car.

In some countries you may be eligible for a tax exemption on your vehicle registration when you move from another EU country, if you meet the relevant conditions and deadlines. Before moving to your new country check the national rules applicable there.
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...s/index_en.htm

None of what Portugal does, either in exempting people from the registration tax if they're transferring their residence, nor in what they ask for in terms of previous residence or ownership and proof of them in order to qualify for that exemption, appears to me to go against the spirit of that general outline.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 7:09 pm
Polished expat

Slightly concerned about peterfc's comment, though. I have heard of Portuguese authorities 'interpreting' the regulations in different ways. If, indeed, these out of date figures were used, would you have a high degree of confidence that a challenge would have a successful outcomes? Red Eric's second post, above, would seem to suggest this.
Yes, indeed - the variable interpretation of regulations is the stuff of legend on expat forums.

As far as the matter at hand goes, I really can't see how it could be interpreted in any other way. The only variables I can anticipate in terms of getting the exemption are what you might be asked for in terms of documentation to prove previous residence and your transferring to Portugal and proof of ownership of the car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.