British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Habitation Licence Time Frame? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/habitation-licence-time-frame-904097/)

SilviaAlgarve Oct 3rd 2017 11:00 pm

Re: Habitation Licence Time Frame?

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12353009)
The agent does not work for you but the seller or rather their commission.
No sale no money.

100% true, they will not lose anything and if you have to go through the courts to get your money back it will become a nightmare as it can drag on for years.

barlaventoexpert Oct 4th 2017 8:12 am

I concur!

Find another property!

Don't touch anything that is not properly licensed.

Also get another lawyer.

Next time round make it VERY clear to the estate agent & the new lawyer that the property must have all correct papers PRIOR to signing any promissory contract.

aport Oct 4th 2017 8:32 am

Thanks. We haven't signed the promissory. After all the good advice I doubt we will be doing.

mfesharne Oct 4th 2017 8:35 am

I'd add that you should NEVER use a lawyer recommended by the seller or the agent.

aport Oct 4th 2017 8:43 am

I can't believe this property was advertised by 3 or 4 licensed estate agents. It has one unlicensed dwelling and another unlicensed major extension. Aren't they supposed to check before they advertise?

EMR Oct 4th 2017 9:45 am

Originally Posted by aport (Post 12353253)
I can't believe this property was advertised by 3 or 4 licensed estate agents. It has one unlicensed dwelling and another unlicensed major extension. Aren't they supposed to check before they advertise?

In theory yes, they are supposed to have copies in their office of all the relevant paperwork.
Has the property you are interested in got an energy certificate , it should have.
Buyer beware !

aport Oct 4th 2017 10:22 am

Yes, it was advertised as having one although we haven't seen it.

Pilou Oct 4th 2017 10:52 am

The seller, the real estate agent and your lawyer, they want all the same thing! That you buy this property. They will tell you everything you want to hear. They don't mind that you might buy a "nightmare".

Very often these objects are nice and the price is attractive. That is why it is difficult for you to turn your back on this property. But DO IT, forget about it!!!

You want to have a nice future in Portugal and you don't want to buy STRESS.

qianh Oct 4th 2017 11:53 am

Yes I agree with all above, like everywhere else, you need to have all the papers BEFORE selling the property. You wouldn't make an offer on an illegal build in the UK, would you?

liveaboard Oct 4th 2017 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12353246)
I'd add that you should NEVER use a lawyer recommended by the seller or the agent.

I'd like to double that; and as EMR said, the agency does not work for the buyer, they work for the seller.

You must have legal advice that is known to be independent from the seller and agency. That's a minimum.

liveaboard Oct 4th 2017 10:44 pm

Also; there's a problem with the story presented by the sellers.
They say that they "don't want to bother" getting the paperwork sorted out until they have a signed contract.
But that makes no sense; they can't sell without the paperwork in order. Then you added that a major addition and a second dwelling was added without permission.
That's way too much. A spare window or door, a carport or something you might get away with.
It's possible that when the decision does finally come through, instead of a habitation license they'll issue a demolition order.
Just felt compelled to write that before going to bed.