Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Good news re flying to PT

Good news re flying to PT

Old Feb 4th 2022, 1:09 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Good news re flying to PT

Yesterday the government changed the rules (according to the press).

I haven't seen this reflected on the official sites yet (understandably) but hope that it will happen asap. As soon as I hear officially... I'm buying tickets. With the 'tidal wave' of infection rates, with gobsmacking numbers daily, I don't want to commit till I hear officially the the digital vax cert is the only thing needed.

We know several fully vaxxed people who have had Covid, all have had minor cold-like symptoms. I attach a message from a friend below.

This is a bit of good news for me re travel, and more importantly the success of the vax programme re-opening doors...

https://www.portugalresident.com/portugal-drops-demands-for-holders-of-covid-digital-certificates-to-present-negative-tests-as-well/

Portugal drops demands for holders of Covid Digital Certificates to present negative tests as well

Jon

Jon I fear now we are dispensing with all covid measures that many more people will get covid.. In mums care home all the elderly especially those with underlying health issues have recently got it and none have had any serious issues which bodes well for everyone else.
Old Feb 4th 2022, 6:36 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good news re flying to PT

Official announcement here : Comunicado do Conselho de Ministros de 3 de fevereiro de 2022

But as no effective date / time included there and as it's not yet published on the DRE I guess the airlines may not be implementing that right at the moment.
Old Feb 4th 2022, 7:35 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Official announcement here : Comunicado do Conselho de Ministros de 3 de fevereiro de 2022

But as no effective date / time included there and as it's not yet published on the DRE I guess the airlines may not be implementing that right at the moment.
Thanks RE... That confirms it. The all important implementation date is what we need. I saw on another government site (cant remember which, perhaps SEF site) that, the next 'rule-change date' is planned for the 10th. But that was said well before this new announcement.

Ive mentioned a few times that with the tidal wave of hundreds of thousands of reported cases daily (many more unreported) travel restrictions are pointless.

The bigger problem for me is the large number of flight crews, quarantined, unable to work.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for the official implementation date and post it, if someone gets it first, please share. Note the official announcement, not the press one, please

Jon

Old Feb 5th 2022, 12:57 am
BE Positive

I think I should change the 1st 2 words in title of the thread

This site which is referred to in the official communications was updated 3 Feb ... BUT ... Does not include the announcement, it still says a vax cert is needed! I suspect any new rule will come in on the 10th. Which is a shame for us as we were hoping to go on the 8th. Which is an important date for us.

As we mentioned previously no implementation date has been broadcast. So we remain in limbo

https://www.visitportugal.com/en/con...ented-portugal
Jon
Old Feb 5th 2022, 7:03 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

If you want the title changed let me know because I can do that for you.

Rosemary
Old Feb 5th 2022, 8:24 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
I think I should change the 1st 2 words in title of the thread

This site which is referred to in the official communications was updated 3 Feb ... BUT ... Does not include the announcement, it still says a vax cert is needed! I suspect any new rule will come in on the 10th. Which is a shame for us as we were hoping to go on the 8th. Which is an important date for us.

As we mentioned previously no implementation date has been broadcast. So we remain in limbo

https://www.visitportugal.com/en/con...ented-portugal
Jon
This morning's news on the radio contained a reference to this - the President has signed off on it so it's now effective.
Old Feb 5th 2022, 9:55 am
BE Positive

This morning's news on the radio contained a reference to this - the President has signed off on it so it's now effective.
Thanks again RE.

It may take a day or 2 before the message gets to the check in desks & they stop asking for the cert. Lets hope the press jump in now on this to help that. If so we are going on the 8th!

Jon
PS there isnt an implementation date mentioned, does the signature mean its active immediately? I would have expected a splurge in the press if so..as you know we sign travel stuff off by the government, but it applies after 48 hours (or other)

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Feb 5th 2022 at 10:21 am.
Old Feb 5th 2022, 12:49 pm
Polished expat

I'm not now able to ascertain with absolute certainty exactly what the current state of play is.

The radio report this morning gave it as now in force. Most other sources that have an update on the matter are also saying passengers no longer have to present negative tests on arrival (present tense, not future).

SIC noticias has it that EU-wide, as of Tuesday passengers with a digital certificate travelling within the EU cease to be automatically subject to any extraordinary restrictions, including negative tests and quarantines but that this won't be implemented in Portugal until Wednesday 9th (member states having flexibility about when to implement). The Portuguese date was confirmed to them by ANA, the airports authority.

I haven't found any other reference to 9th Feb but given the source I'd say trust in that.

Apologies for the fuzziness. I've just remembered why I have previously made no attempt to keep abreast of current requirements.
Old Feb 6th 2022, 7:06 am
BE Positive

I'm not now able to ascertain with absolute certainty exactly what the current state of play is.

The radio report this morning gave it as now in force. Most other sources that have an update on the matter are also saying passengers no longer have to present negative tests on arrival (present tense, not future).

SIC noticias has it that EU-wide, as of Tuesday passengers with a digital certificate travelling within the EU cease to be automatically subject to any extraordinary restrictions, including negative tests and quarantines but that this won't be implemented in Portugal until Wednesday 9th (member states having flexibility about when to implement). The Portuguese date was confirmed to them by ANA, the airports authority.

I haven't found any other reference to 9th Feb but given the source I'd say trust in that.

Apologies for the fuzziness. I've just remembered why I have previously made no attempt to keep abreast of current requirements.
[size=13px]Thanks RE for all the research.

We still dont have a confirmed date but Ive always assumed that in PT that the change will be implemented according to the old timetable (as I mentioned earlier)

Here it is from Reuters
It did not say when the decision would take effect, but the rules now in force were meant to last until Feb. 9.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/portugal-drop-covid-test-requirement-arriving-passengers-2022-02-03/

This lack of concrete info is frustrating and having had problems with travel rules previously, I'm not making any decision till I see it officially.

I'm surprised that there isn't a clear communication and then a splurge in the press.

​​​​​​... And then all the check in staff are informed.

I suppose we have to wait a bit more... But I wish this was announced more professionally....

Jon
​​​​​​[/size]

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Feb 6th 2022 at 7:09 am.
Old Feb 6th 2022, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

ARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
[size=13px]Thanks RE for all the research.

We still dont have a confirmed date but Ive always assumed that in PT that the change will be implemented according to the old timetable (as I mentioned earlier)

Here it is from Reuters
It did not say when the decision would take effect, but the rules now in force were meant to last until Feb. 9.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...rs-2022-02-03/

This lack of concrete info is frustrating and having had problems with travel rules previously, I'm not making any decision till I see it officially.

I'm surprised that there isn't a clear communication and then a splurge in the press.

​​​​​​... And then all the check in staff are informed.

I suppose we have to wait a bit more... But I wish this was announced more professionally....

Jon
​​​​​​[/size]
It seems this will be effective from tomorrow, Monday 7 February. https://sicnoticias.pt/coronavirus/d...segunda-feira/
Old Feb 6th 2022, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

ARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond repute

And here is the law to support it https://dre.pt/dre/detalhe/decreto-l...2022-178716209
Old Feb 6th 2022, 9:57 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by ARCNET
It seems this will be effective from tomorrow, Monday 7 February. https://sicnoticias.pt/coronavirus/d...segunda-feira/
Thanks Arcnet Good news after all.... Rosemary thanks for the offer of changing the title, but I was kidding, hence the smiley.

I'm looking forward to seeing this in the official gazette and then some publicity ... So that everyone is aware, especially the check in staff!. (Before I commit to buying tickets)

​​​​Thanks

​​​​​​Jon

​​​​​

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Feb 6th 2022 at 9:59 am.
Old Feb 6th 2022, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

GrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond repute

We've heard various days this week for tests to be lifted so no idea which is correct. What I do know is we're flying back on Thursday and Jet2 still requiring "in person test" or no boarding. If their site hasn't changed by Wednesday morning, will take the tests anyway as airline check-in requirements don't always match true position.
Old Feb 6th 2022, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GrahamF
We've heard various days this week for tests to be lifted so no idea which is correct. What I do know is we're flying back on Thursday and Jet2 still requiring "in person test" or no boarding. If their site hasn't changed by Wednesday morning, will take the tests anyway as airline check-in requirements don't always match true position.
The definitive answer is the PT government has confirmed that the change will be effective from 00:00 hrs on 7 February, i.e. the day following the publication on dre.pt [see the link at post #11].

To be fair to Jet2, as of today, tests are still required so the earliest I would expect their site to be updated is tomorrow. In the past Jet2 has been slow to update and I agree, it is prudent to turn up at the airport with a [unnecessary] test rather than risk denied boarding albeit in such circumstances one would have a valid claim under UK261 (as it’s now known since Brexit) exposing the airline to a £350 compensation claim per passenger.

Hopefully, gov.uk will be updated tomorrow and I shall be badgering Jet2 if they don’t update their site as I’m flying with them on Friday.
Old Feb 6th 2022, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

GrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ARCNET
The definitive answer is the PT government has confirmed that the change will be effective from 00:00 hrs on 7 February, i.e. the day following the publication on dre.pt [see the link at post #11].

To be fair to Jet2, as of today, tests are still required so the earliest I would expect their site to be updated is tomorrow. In the past Jet2 has been slow to update and I agree, it is prudent to turn up at the airport with a [unnecessary] test rather than risk denied boarding albeit in such circumstances one would have a valid claim under UK261 (as it’s now known since Brexit) exposing the airline to a £350 compensation claim per passenger.

Hopefully, gov.uk will be updated tomorrow and I shall be badgering Jet2 if they don’t update their site as I’m flying with them on Friday.
Not just gov.uk, SEF haven't updated their site either, still saying until 9th February tests required but no mention of change on 10th. As I type this, I've been in Jet2 telephone queue now for 10 mins.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.