Golf

Old May 8th 2013, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

daisyman1951 will become famous soon enough
Default Golf

I heard golf is a very expensive passtime in the Algarve. Can anyone tell me if its membership only or are there pay and play courses. Typical costs for a round in summer and off season? as always thanks in advance.
Old May 8th 2013, 4:50 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Golf

Membership can cost you a fortune, all courses are pay and play and there are numerous agencies offering discounts such as Golf For Greys.. or do as we do call the courses find out if they are busy and ask for any deals, we are currently paying 30 euros round.
Many courses offer deals such as pay a sum and play as many times as you like for a certain period.
Shop around.
Old May 8th 2013, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

daisyman1951 will become famous soon enough

Many thanks, would you expect to pay less than €30 between november to march?
Old May 8th 2013, 7:42 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

It's been a while since I lived in the Algarve,six years or so.My husband used to play at Alto club in Alvor,it was the best deal anywhere on the Algarve.Also consider that when you join a club here,you are eligible to go into the Portuguese golf federation,which gives you huge discounts for playing on other courses.Apart from full membership there is also the Mon- Fri option,which is cheaper.You will need proof of handicap from Uk if you choose to join.Avoid the Golden Triangle obviously,ridiculous prices,but might be worth checking with Alto,in the long run,probably cheaper to join than pay and play.
Old May 9th 2013, 8:19 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Alto is now part of the Pestan group who do offer various levels of membership. Nov-March s a reasonable perod but less than 30 euros/round is beng optimistc, If you plan to play 2-3 times week go for one of the limited membership options. EG Espiche had one which meant that for 500euros you got to play as many times as you liked n any week up to a maximum of 10 weeks.
Old May 9th 2013, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

CHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to all
Cool Re: Golf

I am a member at Benamor which is just outside of Tavira, a full membership is €2000 but you can get a €100 membership + €58 for the PT golf federation which entitles you to play in the club comps and keep your handicap up to date and you pay €40 a round.
Old May 9th 2013, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

newintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nice

My wife and I aren't especially competent golfers so we go to the 9 hole Vale de Milho near Carvoiero. They have a lot of Twilight offers or similar and usually advertise in the Portugal news. The course itself is very well maintained and no handicap is required.
Old May 9th 2013, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

CHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to all
Cool Re: Golf

You should try the 9 hole at Moncaropacho as it must cost you a few bob driving from Tavir to Carvoiero
Old May 9th 2013, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud of

I always recommend this site if we have family , friends or guests staying in the villa in the Algarve

http://www.algarvegolf.net/golf/greenfees.htm - very friendly helpful people and will email you if they negoiate better deals

http://www.golf-algarve.net/en/golf/Algarve/rates.aspx - last year several people also used this site - also said it was very good.

Have fun

Last edited by steve01; May 9th 2013 at 5:05 pm.